2023 MN High School Football season

Chan should be moved up to 6A, and Hopkins moved down.

F enrollment

I use the MN ScoreFeed app on my phone. it's used-based, so people post scores in real time as they're watching games.

they also have tabs for playoff brackets, section standings and the AP poll.

and you can choose teams to "follow" so those scores are at the top of your feed.

they cover football, basketball, volleyball and hockey.

I am NOT associated with the site - except for the fact that I know one of the people who is behind it. But I do use it a lot. and it's free to download from the app store.
huh, interesting. Never heard of this app. I'll have to try it out for hockey season! thanks!

In 5A, Section 3, QRF actually has Two Rivers first (which is a sign it's flawed; even though they are 7-1, given the weakness of their schedule they have no business being ahead of 7-1 Jefferson or 6-2 St Thomas). But Two Rivers was actually seeded fourth behind a 3-5 Apple Valley, which I'm not sure makes sense.
These are typically coaches voting so they seed to avoid teams, I'm sure.

I'm sure something like that was going on, but even considering that it seemed a bit extreme. But it actually works out in this instance because it makes it likelier Two Rivers will play St. Thomas Academy, which everybody in that neck of the woods wants to see (earlier Two Rivers loss to Hastings was without their QB so they are pretty likely to advance).

Anyone have a good source for high school scores? I just tried to look up my old high school and I got scores from 2013.

On Mn Football Hub for each team's schedule page there is a drop down menu that lets you pick seasons going back to 2011.

On Mn Football Hub for each team's schedule page there is a drop down menu that lets you pick seasons going back to 2011.
That's the site I usually use. Not perfect, but it's okay.

In 5A, Section 3, QRF actually has Two Rivers first (which is a sign it's flawed; even though they are 7-1, given the weakness of their schedule they have no business being ahead of 7-1 Jefferson or 6-2 St Thomas). But Two Rivers was actually seeded fourth behind a 3-5 Apple Valley, which I'm not sure makes sense.
A lot of this has to do with Kennedy being seeded 2 last year in that section and then losing in round 2 after getting a first round bye.

Two rivers ended up in section final. Jefferson and valley consider themselves the number 2 and 3 team in that section regardless of other teams’ records. St Thomas’ coach is new this year and may have voted more on SOS than record.

Old timey playoff seeding controversy. C. 1978.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1698006043304.jpg
    FB_IMG_1698006043304.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 21

Current system isn't perfect and it needs some adjustments, but it is better than what was used prior to the early 1980's. We've seen countless Prep Bowl champions who have had 2/3/4 losses in the regular season...these teams would have been left out of any playoff format.

Chan should be moved up to 6A, and Hopkins moved down.

F enrollment
Chanhassen has a great shot to win the state title in 5A, they would not win it in 6A (Yes, they would be a top ten team, I'm not hating). Is it fair to take that from them and negate all their hard work because they are having success in the enrollment range they are assigned to?

I'd be more willing to hear arguments about a promotion/relegation system. You can move Hopkins down without punishing teams like Chanhassen. Chan will be 6A in a few years anyway due to enrollment changes in the metro, in the mean time, let them enjoy the success they have earned in 5A.

I am not wanting to take away their likely 5A state championship this year. Good for them, I’m sure well earned.

Quite honestly, I care more about getting schools out of 6A that have absolutely no business being there in terms of reasonable expectations on competitiveness.

Total enrollment (even if factoring reduced lunch) is about the worst possible metric you could use to try to measure such a thing.

6A really should just be a special split off, for about 20 or so high schools in this state where by the combination of all factors means that almost no other programs in the state can possibly have a reasonable expectation of being competitive against those 20.

Is what it is, and that’s how the classification should work.

I don't disagree with you there. There are Minnesota high schools, many in the Lake and South Suburban that have enrollment and demographic advantages that make schools like Hopkins, Osseo, and Burnsville virtually impossible to meet those teams' level of competitiveness.

However, each school/community can't measure "success" the same ways. There will always be the "haves" and "have-nots", no matter what the measures used for classes.
I am not wanting to take away their likely 5A state championship this year. Good for them, I’m sure well earned.

Quite honestly, I care more about getting schools out of 6A that have absolutely no business being there in terms of reasonable expectations on competitiveness.

Total enrollment (even if factoring reduced lunch) is about the worst possible metric you could use to try to measure such a thing.

No matter what possible system you come up with for selecting X teams for a state bracket, so long as X is less than the total number of teams, there will always be the first few teams left out.

Always.

Those teams could’ve done better during the regular season, and made it in. They don’t deserve sympathy.

Sure as hell doesn’t justify “everyone makes it” absurdity of Minnesota high school sports.

Shame on whomever forced it to be that way. And I’m sure that’s what it was, some powerful asshole whose daughter’s school was the first out, made it get switched to everyone makes it.

In 6A, I'd prefer to see the top 16 be placed in the state tournament (Yes, there would be controversy) and have the remaining 16 get one more game against a team ranked similarly. It would be a much better way for the seniors at say, Burnsville to have their last game against Roseville than those two teams getting pummeled by a 6A powerhouse.
No matter what possible system you come up with for selecting X teams for a state bracket, so long as X is less than the total number of teams, there will always be the first few teams left out.

Always.

Those teams could’ve done better during the regular season, and made it in. They don’t deserve sympathy.

Sure as hell doesn’t justify “everyone makes it” absurdity of Minnesota high school sports.

Shame on whomever forced it to be that way. And I’m sure that’s what it was, some powerful asshole whose daughter’s school was the first out, made it get switched to everyone makes it.

Yep, sure. Let any program who doesn’t make a state bracket be then able to schedule a 9th game as they see fit, vs any other program.

Abolish section brackets/tournaments.

In 6A, I'd prefer to see the top 16 be placed in the state tournament (Yes, there would be controversy) and have the remaining 16 get one more game against a team ranked similarly. It would be a much better way for the seniors at say, Burnsville to have their last game against Roseville than those two teams getting pummeled by a 6A powerhouse.
Yup I agree with this fully

Or just pre-schedule a 9th game and eliminate the first round.

Butterfield-Odin was a sports powerhouse in that era. Their Boys basketball team played in the 1978 State Tournament, where they ran into Lake City and Randy Breuer in the semi-finals.

Anyone see a team that should be on upset alert for round 1 of the 6A Playoffs? I think Mounds View as a higher seed versus Prior Lake is a clear one.

Last edited:

Butterfield-Odin was a sports powerhouse in that era. Their Boys basketball team played in the 1978 State Tournament, where they ran into Lake City and Randy Breuer in the semi-finals.
Crazy that they were class C then for football. I mentioned before that my cousins played there when they were co-op'ed with Mountain Lake. I'm surprised the school hasn't had to consolidate at this point.

Anyone see a team that should be on upset alert for round 1 of the 6A Playoffs? I think Mounds View as a higher seed versus Prior Lake is a clear one.
Based on what? PL hasn't been good at all.

So why does a crap program like Hopkins or Burnsville deserve sympathy? Answer. They don't.

Purposeful misframing that fixing a broken and false classification is “sympathy”.

Could also call it dishonest. You know better

I think Mankato West gets revenge against Chanhassen in their rematch in the section final. They both have to get there first, but I think whoever wins that game will be the 5A state champ.

My final four prediction for 6A:

Rosemount
Lakeville South
EP
Maple Grove

EP over Lakeville South in the Prep Bowl

My final four prediction for 6A:

Rosemount
Lakeville South
EP
Maple Grove

EP over Lakeville South in the Prep Bowl
I would be very surprised if anyone beats EP this year. They would have to beat Lakeville North, Maple Grove and Lakeville South in succession, in all probability, and I don't see that as a problem unless the team suffers a lot of injuries. I continue to be amazed at their OL's size and ability to create lanes for their stable of running backs. The QB is a good runner too.

Top Bottom