2023 MN High School Football season

OK - here we go. Scores from Friday's HS FB playoff games
All games Section Finals except for class 6A.

9pl:
Sect 1: Kingsland 44, Spring Grove 14
Sect 2: Cedar Mountain 36, Red Rock Central 22
Sect 3: Hills-Beaver Creek 30, Edgerton 8
Sect 7: Mountain Iron-Buhl 30, Cherry 14

1A:
Sect 1: Fillmore Central 14, Kenyon-Wanamingo 0
Sect 2: Mayer Lutheran 20, Lester Prairie 19
Sect 3: Springfield 36, Sleepy Eye United 18
Sect 4: Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa 36, Upsala-Swanville 12
Sect 5: Minneota 14, BOLD 6
Sect 6: Parkers Prairie 26, New York Mills 6
Sect 7: Braham 28, Deer River 8

2A:
Sect 1: Caledonia 35, Dover-Eyota 20
Sect 2: Triton 21, Maple River 14
Sect 3: Jackson County Central 38, Redwood Valley 7
Sect 4: Cannon Falls 60, St. Agnes 34
Sect 5: Eden Valley-Watkins 44, Holdingford 14
Sect 6: Osakis 42, Staples-Motley 13
Sect 8: Barnesville 44, Pelican Rapids 14

3A:
Sect 1: Stewartville 34, Rochester Lourdes 7
Sect 2: Dassel-Cokato 27, Litchfield 20
Sect 3: Waseca 21, Fairmont 13 (ot)
Sect 4: Minneapolis North 51, Holy Family Catholic 0
Sect 5: Annandale 14, Foley 8
Sect 6: Albany 24, New London-Spicer 23
Sect 8: Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton 35, Morris/Chokio-Alberta 14

4A:
Sect 1: Byron 17, Kasson-Mantorville 14
Sect 2: Hutchinson 30, Marshall 14
Sect 3: Hill-Murray 42, Chisago Lakes 36
Sect 4: Totino-Grace 49, St. Anthony Village 7
Sect 5: Benilde-St. Margaret's 20, Holy Angels 15
Sect 6: Orono 35, Delano 14
Sect 7: North Branch 28, Hermantown 21
Sect 8: Rocori 30, Becker 21

5A:
Sect 1: Owatonna 35, Northfield 6
Sect 2: Chanhassen 37, Mankato West 36
Sect 3: St. Thomas Academy 43, Bloomington Jefferson 14
Sect 4: Mahtomedi 19, Cretin-Derham Hall 7
Sect 5: Robbinsdale Armstrong 49, Robbinsdale Cooper 14
Sect 6: Rogers 24, Monticello 20
Sect 7: Andover 65, Elk River 32
Sect 8: Alexandria 24, Brainerd 19

6A: (2nd round - winners advance to State Quarter-Finals)
Centennial 26, Prior Lake 23 (ot)
Rosemount 14, Woodbury 7
Lakeville South 30, Shakopee 13
East Ridge 13, Minnetonka 10
Eden Prairie 42, Eagan 14
Lakeville North 42, Forest Lake 21
Stillwater 49, Rochester Mayo 31
Edina 35, Maple Grove 24

State Playoffs Schedule

Quarterfinals:
9-player - Thurs, Nov 9
1A: Friday, Nov 10
2A: Thursday, Nov 9
3A: Fri, Nov 10 & Sat, Nov 11
4A: Thurs, Nov 9
5A: Sat, Nov 11
6A: Thurs, Nov 9 & Fri, Nov 10

Semi-Finals:
Thurs, Nov 16 - 9-player (both); 4A (1), 6A (1)
Fri, Nov 17 - 2A (both); 4A (1), 5A (1), 6A (1)
Sat, Nov 18 - 1A (both), 3A (both) 5A (1)

Prep Bowl:
Fri, Nov 24: 1A, 2A, 4A, 6A
Sat, Nov 25: 9-pl, 3A, 5A

Centennial vs Rosemount
L South vs East ridge
Eden prairie vs lakeville north (my top 2 teams personally)
Edina vs Stillwater
Should be some really good games. Centennial shut out Rosemount 9-0 in first matchup but Rosemount D played great against them and the offense hurt itself with a number of mistakes and dropped passes. If the O plays the way they are capable of playing I like Rosemount's chances in the rematch.

Will be interesting to see how North does against EP. And Stillwater needed a bunch of late points to get by Mayo. Was really surprised to see that final score.

Should be some really good games. Centennial shut out Rosemount 9-0 in first matchup but Rosemount D played great against them and the offense hurt itself with a number of mistakes and dropped passes. If the O plays the way they are capable of playing I like Rosemount's chances in the rematch.

Will be interesting to see how North does against EP. And Stillwater needed a bunch of late points to get by Mayo. Was really surprised to see that final score.
Mayo wideout the second best WR I have seen in the state this year (behind coon rapids kid)

When he gets going they can put up points in bunches

I expect EP vs Lakeville North to be a real slugfest, a "slobberknocker" a la BIG 10 games.

Agree.

I think the top 3 teams are all on same side of the bracket.
I would rank the final 8
1) Eden prairie
2) north
3) Edina
4) South
5) Stillwater
6) centennial
7) rosemount
8) east ridge

Even though Owatonna has dominated the series against Northfield the past 5 seasons, I thought there was a solid chance of retribution. Over the past 13 months all 3 games were 1 score contests and Northfield had opportunities that could have swayed the result in their favor.

Not so. Northfield on the opening kickoff recovered an onsider. Unfortunately it was all downhill after that. Opening drive led to an INT, and Owatonna never looked back. They unleashed a passing attack I hadn't seen from them before, and the Raiders had no answers in the 35-6 blowout.

Other takeaway, the game was at Owatonna's New High School, and it's a phenomenal facility that opened this fall. Both the school and stadium are quite impressive. The field, grandstand, press box, lights, ticket booth, concession stand are all first rate. It's on the southeast of part of town just off Hwy 14.

Even though Owatonna has dominated the series against Northfield the past 5 seasons, I thought there was a solid chance of retribution. Over the past 13 months all 3 games were 1 score contests and Northfield had opportunities that could have swayed the result in their favor.

Not so. Northfield on the opening kickoff recovered an onsider. Unfortunately it was all downhill after that. Opening drive led to an INT, and Owatonna never looked back. They unleashed a passing attack I hadn't seen from them before, and the Raiders had no answers in the 35-6 blowout.

Other takeaway, the game was at Owatonna's New High School, and it's a phenomenal facility that opened this fall. Both the school and stadium are quite impressive. The field, grandstand, press box, lights, ticket booth, concession stand are all first rate. It's on the southeast of part of town just off Hwy 14.
I need to get to a game down there sometime

Centennial vs Rosemount
L South vs East ridge
Eden prairie vs lakeville north (my top 2 teams personally)
Edina vs Stillwater
Centennial beat Rosemount two weeks ago 9-0.

New champions to be crowned as 3A-6A champions have all lost.

Chanhassen came back from 14 down in the 4th, to doink the extra point in, for a 37-36 win over West.

West coach took to Twitter to complain that only 6A is seeded and this game should have been on a bigger stage.

I was kind of hoping for STA in that bracket, but it looks as though Andover is unstoppable.
I think Andover’s QB was out and now healthy. Unfortunately Andover and Chanhassen will meet in the semifinals if they win next week.

Agree.

I would rank the final 8
1) Eden prairie
2) north
3) Edina
4) South
5) Stillwater
6) centennial
7) rosemount
8) east ridge

Seeding the tournament should have prevented a Eden Prairie playing against Lakeville North. The Centennial bracket was a joke, by far the weakest bracket and I expect Rosemount to pull off the win there. Thier Jr. QB was out early in the season and has been improving steadily. There is a real chance that their are 3 "south suburban" schools in the final four this year. This is why regional play makes it so hard to predict how seeding should go. Going into the tournament would have thought some of the northern burbs would have been the more dominant.

Seeding the tournament should have prevented an Eden Prairie playing against Lakeville North. The Centennial bracket was a joke, by far the weakest bracket and I expect Rosemount to pull off the win there. Thier Jr. QB was out early in the season and has been improving steadily. There is a real chance that their are 3 "south suburban" schools in the final four this year. This is why regional play makes it so hard to predict how seeding should go. Going into the tournament would have thought some of the northern burbs would have been the more dominant.
Seeding is not true seeding as they seed sections and then crossover, and they try to ovoid rematches from the season in first round. It’s not perfect for sure, but I don’t think they could seed all 32 because of lack of common opponents. It would be biased toward the south teams likely.

Seeding the tournament should have prevented an Eden Prairie playing against Lakeville North. The Centennial bracket was a joke, by far the weakest bracket and I expect Rosemount to pull off the win there. Thier Jr. QB was out early in the season and has been improving steadily. There is a real chance that their are 3 "south suburban" schools in the final four this year. This is why regional play makes it so hard to predict how seeding should go. Going into the tournament would have thought some of the northern burbs would have been the more dominant.
They did seed the tourney. And unfortunately for north they got the two seed because they got beat by south even though I think they’re better than south.
EP and South are on opposite sides of the bracket

Seeding is not true seeding as they seed sections and then crossover, and they try to ovoid rematches from the season in first round. It’s not perfect for sure, but I don’t think they could seed all 32 because of lack of common opponents. It would be biased toward the south teams likely.
It would be biased towards the south and west.
Biased towards the south for good reason.
Biased towards the west for no reason

Eden prairie is a dynasty and for some reason people think that means wayzata and shakopee is automatically better than Eagan and mayo and east ridge and Champlin

Agree.

I would rank the final 8
1) Eden prairie
2) north
3) Edina
4) South
5) Stillwater
6) centennial
7) rosemount
8) east ridge
Going to be interesting to see how it plays out. EP would be the favorite but feels like there is a lot of parity with no real dominant teams. Looking at games against the rest.

EP - beat Edina by 22 in week 2 but has not played any of the rest

North - beat Stillwater by 21, beat Rosemount by 3, Lost to South by 3, and beat East Ridge by 35.

Edina - lost to EP by 22 and beat Stillwater by 7.

South - beat North by 3 and lost to Rosemount by 1.

Stillwater - lost to North by 21, beat East Ridge by 8, and lost by 7 to Edina

Centennial - beat Rosemount by 9

Rosmeount - lost to North by 3, beat South by 1, lost by 9 to Centennial

East Ridge - lost by 8 to Stillwater, and lost by 35 to North.

If I was going to rank them I would probably go:

1 - Eden Prairie
2-7 - North, South, Rosemount, Stillwater, Edina, Centennial - in no particular order
8 - East Ridge

Don't have real high hopes for Rosemount but game 1 against Centennial was very close and featured a number of critical drops by Rosemount's offense that could have shifted the game. So at this point anything is possible with this collection of teams.

It would be biased towards the south and west.
Biased towards the south for good reason.
Biased towards the west for no reason

Eden prairie is a dynasty and for some reason people think that means wayzata and shakopee is automatically better than Eagan and mayo and east ridge and Champlin
I'm confused by this. Are you saying the West metro should not be considered better than the East and North? Also, Shakopee is not in the "West" as much as it in the South Metro.

I'm confused by this. Are you saying the West metro should not be considered better than the East and North? Also, Shakopee is not in the "West" as much as it in the South Metro.
Shako is literally in the west
And the west should be considered the same as everyone else

Shako is literally in the west
And the west should be considered the same as everyone else
Wayzata literally won the 6A Prep Bowl three years ago. When is the last time an East Metro team did so?

Wayzata literally won the 6A Prep Bowl three years ago. When is the last time an East Metro team did so?
I am glad you think 21 year olds have an impact on high school football this year 😂

Richfield won it in the 70s

6a!

Yup exactly

You literally think they should seed 1-32 and give west metro preferential treatment

All everyone needs to know about you
You said it SHOULD be biased toward the South. Why do you believe that? They need to seed somehow. If not recent success within the tournament, what else could be the criteria when teams have similar records? You seem to be contradicting your own argument...

You said it SHOULD be biased toward the South. Why do you believe that? They need to seed somehow. If not recent success within the tournament, what else could be the criteria when teams have similar records? You seem to be contradicting your own argument...
They do seed

You literally have no idea how anything works

They do seed

You literally have no idea how anything works
"You literally have no idea how anything works"

I've been coaching high school football in Minnesota for over 20 years. I am well aware of how the seeding in 6A works thanks. This redundant conversation is giving me a headache. I'm going to shut the laptop and watch Bama-LSU. Have a good night.

Top Bottom