2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

I had hopes for our California connection (Evans, Henley, Mitchell) but Bronny James decided to pick USC instead, so that fell through.
Then, I thought maybe the T Wolves could give the Lakers Gobert and 4 2030 something 1st round picks in a trade for LeBron along with Bronny in a package deal of sorts but General Mills wouldn't pull the trigger on a percentage of ownership for the James family, so that fell through too....and we kinda ran out of time. We only heard about Bronny after our other California born recruit in Darius Brown decided not to play for us either.

The eternal question of playing time versus winning. Can go either way but I bet most take playing time, especially in free transfers era when you can shift to winning later.
It may get to the point where high school guys go to a mid major and transfer to a P6 program if they make the grade. A farm system process.

It may get to the point where high school guys go to a mid major and transfer to a P6 program if they make the grade. A farm system process.
We're pretty close to that already. What we don't have - yet - are formal or informal ties between "parent clubs" and their affiliates. We have had shoe companies be involved with directing AAU teams' players to "their" schools, so it doesn't seem like that big of a leap to think that those companies start to get involved with some of these mid-major programs (or even leagues).

Did a little looking at whose uncommitted.

I have 0 information on who Ben is looking at or if he’s looking at anyone. But I’d like to see Anthony Dell’Orso in MN
Going to guess no on Anthony mainly because of the three years remaining. Realize Battle and Garcia both had three when they came, but…the connections and all. Looks like a solid get though. Really hope he uses that last spot.

Going to guess no on Anthony mainly because of the three years remaining. Realize Battle and Garcia both had three when they came, but…the connections and all. Looks like a solid get though. Really hope he uses that last spot.
Are we at 11 scholarships plus 12th for Ramberg, and 13th open?

Mitchell, Hawkins, Wilson, Garcia, Ihnen, Fox, Payne, Carrington, JOJ, Betts, and Christie are the 11.

I can see Ben giving Reader the last spot or possibly Purcell. Ben has a hard time playing more than 8 guys per game. I hope that changes. The young guys need some minutes to keep them out of the portal. Henley got too many minutes last year early.

I don’t see 3 years as an issue. I’d look at it as a good thing. Ben doesn’t need to keep going into every off season with 5 spots to fill lol.

Like I said I read literally nothing about Ben being interested in anyone let alone a random name I mentioned. I just like the way he plays.

The team is much better balanced now and appears to be better defensively. Another big shooting wing or an inside threat would help. Wilson may be a bigger Ogele, but Hawkins and Mitchell are not Samuels.

Are we at 11 scholarships plus 12th for Ramberg, and 13th open?

Mitchell, Hawkins, Wilson, Garcia, Ihnen, Fox, Payne, Carrington, JOJ, Betts, and Christie are the 11.

I can see Ben giving Reader the last spot or possibly Purcell. Ben has a hard time playing more than 8 guys per game. I hope that changes. The young guys need some minutes to keep them out of the portal. Henley got too many minutes last year early.
I dont think this really matters honestly. Every team in every conference has portal entrants. You can give a kid all the time and opportunity in the world, still might leave. It's the nature of the game now. A lot of it unfortunately is handlers/agents etc telling kids the grass is always greener somewhere else. You have to play to win 1 year at a time now, don't play a kid more because it might help them in 3 years, the odds aren't good that kid will be in your team in 3 years

The team is much better balanced now and appears to be better defensively. Another big shooting wing or an inside threat would help. Wilson may be a bigger Ogele, but Hawkins and Mitchell are not Samuels.
Ben may have another visit this week. Could be a 3. Just like the other recent visits, Ben has kept the details under wraps. If the player leaks about the visit, then it goes viral.

D1 basketball is becoming similar to D1 hockey, except instead of the developmental hockey leagues feeding older kids to D1 programs, in D1 basketball it is the low/mid majors that are the developmental leagues that feed the high major conferences.
I don't see this going back, but it's tough on high school players hoping to play at high major schools coming out of high school.

Its
D1 basketball is becoming similar to D1 hockey, except instead of the developmental hockey leagues feeding older kids to D1 programs, in D1 basketball it is the low/mid majors that are the developmental leagues that feed the high major conferences.
I don't see this going back, but it's tough on high school players hoping to play at high major schools coming out of high school.
It’d be cool if all the 5 ⭐️ kids just treated Minnesota like a minor league program then 😂. We could have 1 and done’s like Kentucky but instead of going pro they just transfer to Kentucky.

Its

It’d be cool if all the 5 ⭐️ kids just treated Minnesota like a minor league program then 😂. We could have 1 and done’s like Kentucky but instead of going pro they just transfer to Kentucky.
And then win nothing

Who’s this Reader guy? Have not heard of him. Is he a Minnesota kid?
Here is a version of something I posted before on another thread:

Is Erick Reader vastly underrated? I have seen him play and develop for five years. Better every year. Quite skilled. Small school but some good opponents. Played AAU for Coach Larry Suggs. (of "guards come in all sizes" fame for developing Chet Holmgren - not to mention Jalen) He is a good friend of Issac Asuma and played AAU with him on a Larry Suggs team. He is excited about playing with Asuma at the U. (and as importantly Asuma is excited about playing with him at the U). He may carve out a much bigger role in Gopher basketball than the typical preferred walk-on. Not likely this year but could happen if his upward trajectory continues anywhere like it has in high school.

Here is a version of something I posted before on another thread:

Is Erick Reader vastly underrated? I have seen him play and develop for five years. Better every year. Quite skilled. Small school but some good opponents. Played AAU for Coach Larry Suggs. (of "guards come in all sizes" fame for developing Chet Holmgren - not to mention Jalen) He is a good friend of Issac Asuma and played AAU with him on a Larry Suggs team. He is excited about playing with Asuma at the U. (and as importantly Asuma is excited about playing with him at the U). He may carve out a much bigger role in Gopher basketball than the typical preferred walk-on. Not likely this year but could happen if his upward trajectory continues anywhere like it has in high school.
I hope you are correct in your assessment of Reader’s upside. Another Dusty Rychart emerging would be fantastic!

I’m less concerned about players not getting to high majors out of high school than what this does to mid major programs. For the sake of any semblance of fair competition, the transfer rules need to be modified. A sit out year would slow the flow at least some. I

That’s a good point. There is a “trickle up” effect, with the top programs now skimming the best talent from other teams, player they ignored in their previous recruiting. The result is that the big boys get better and the middling power five and mid major teams have to pick up the pieces. The rich get richer.

I can't help but think that Battle would fair much better in a system that includes Hawkins and Mitchel. Battle really never created much offense by himself and having guys that can penetrate and dish probably would have generated more decent looks. Sure he missed open shots but I wonder if on average he had better looks it would have increased his confidence a bit.

I can't help but think that Battle would fair much better in a system that includes Hawkins and Mitchel. Battle really never created much offense by himself and having guys that can penetrate and dish probably would have generated more decent looks. Sure he missed open shots but I wonder if on average he had better looks it would have increased his confidence a bit.
The defense Betts laid on him in practice altered his game and broke his confidence. He played very well until Betts showed up. Our 3 will kick butt this year unlike last year.

Great guards make everyone better and should have helped Battle. That is true but only part of the Battle problems of last year.

The defense Betts laid on him in practice altered his game and broke his confidence. He played very well until Betts showed up. Our 3 will kick butt this year unlike last year.

Great guards make everyone better and should have helped Battle. That is true but only part of the Battle problems of last year.
What? :ROFLMAO:

I mean, I consider myself optimistic, but common, haha.

That’s a good point. There is a “trickle up” effect, with the top programs now skimming the best talent from other teams, player they ignored in their previous recruiting. The result is that the big boys get better and the middling power five and mid major teams have to pick up the pieces. The rich get richer.
Is that really true though? There seems to be more parody in college basketball than ever before. Two non P6 teams in this year's F4 and two #1 seeds losing to #16 seeds in the past five tournaments after 0 in the previous 33 (since expanding to 64 teams).

Top Bottom