2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

Lost recruits to:

Austin Peay

Utah State

St. Bonaventure

UCF

I'd say the F grade given to Ben in the other thread is accurate, sadly.
Lack of context here Howeda but you know that...

Austin Peay guy didn't have a committable offer here from all sources

Utah State guy followed his coach

St. Bonny guy, that's a legit loss and should be criticized as such

UCF guy wanted to go east, didn't want to be in the midwest

Even Charles Pride is from New York and was considering mostly east coast schools and Minnesota.

It is as tho the coaching staff is going thru the motions.

Let's assume that is all true and we had no chance at any of those guys...shouldn't we be hearing about all of the guys we supposedly do have a shot with that we are recruiting and are considering us?

Let's assume that is all true and we had no chance at any of those guys...shouldn't we be hearing about all of the guys we supposedly do have a shot with that we are recruiting and are considering us?
We have 3- 2 of them are solid gets for the much need guard position- both 40% plus 3 point shooters with better speed than we had. We are looking for one more so I am not sure what you expect.

I think on this last slot, they can be very selective and can be patient to see where things go this spring and summer. I would not want to see a Samuels type add at this point- we should be seeing a high end guy or nothing. I suppose there is also the possibility of a high school kid we are after reclassifying as Betts did.

Yeah sorry I dont buy that. If that was the case we would be recruiting end of bench guys like Jack Wilson-Smith ;)

No one around here was saying any of the guys that we supposedly had no shot with were below the guys we ultimately signed and no one was questioning if we had a shot with them. In fact most of the people on your end of the argument were telling us we had a very good chance at them and they would change the make up of the team. I just think the narrative is now shifting because our coach could not close the deal and had to settle for Plan J.

To me, this just reminds me of the days when Tubby brought in underwhelming guys and the board was forced to defend players like Maverick Ahanmisi playing way more minutes than he should have.

Yeah sorry I dont buy that. If that was the case we would be recruiting end of bench guys like Jack Wilson-Smith ;)

No one around here was saying any of the guys that we supposedly had no shot with were below the guys we ultimately signed and no one was questioning if we had a shot with them. In fact most of the people on your end of the argument were telling us we had a very good chance at them and they would change the make up of the team. I just think the narrative is now shifting because our coach could not close the deal and had to settle for Plan J.

To me, this just reminds me of the days when Tubby brought in underwhelming guys and the board was forced to defend players like Maverick Ahanmisi playing way more minutes than he should have.
Tubby. Amazing what Minnesota basketball can do to a Hall of Fame coach.

I'm not sure "each guy had a reason!" makes it better. If we felt we had no chance, we wouldn't have contacted/offered them. The fact remains we lost out on multiple players to non-power 6 schools. It's not a good look.

I'm not sure "each guy had a reason!" makes it better. If we felt we had no chance, we wouldn't have contacted/offered them. The fact remains we lost out on multiple players to non-power 6 schools. It's not a good look.
Yeah, some reasons might make the kid’s decision understandable but don’t excuse the failure. Both Brown and Pride were here in the Gophs’ hands, which is a pretty good indicator they were genuinely interested, and consequently pretty solid evidence CBJ/staff couldn’t close. With the Austin Peay guy the Gophs had preliminary contact only, it seems, and I’ve seen nothing but a profile from Ryan James on the UMKC guy without any evidence he was ever planning a visit. Those two are not in the same category, imho. But losing Brown and Pride hurts.

The men’s staff is going through the motions. We will find out about all of this eventually.

Yeah, some reasons might make the kid’s decision understandable but don’t excuse the failure. Both Brown and Pride were here in the Gophs’ hands, which is a pretty good indicator they were genuinely interested, and consequently pretty solid evidence CBJ/staff couldn’t close. With the Austin Peay guy the Gophs had preliminary contact only, it seems, and I’ve seen nothing but a profile from Ryan James on the UMKC guy without any evidence he was ever planning a visit. Those two are not in the same category, imho. But losing Brown and Pride hurts.
It’s done and over! Move on.

It’s done and over! Move on.

So we shouldn't discuss things on a message board that exists for the purpose of discussing things?

Does your head hurt because of the gun that is pressed against it forcing you to open this thread and read all the posts?

I will say that there have been many times that I’ve pretty much made up my mind (95%) on a major purchase, but I continued to check out a couple of other options, just in case. I’m sure the business managers of the stores that were mostly out of the picture, would have not been happy if their people hadn’t at least made an effort to change my mind.

In my business, I have also continued to interview candidates for a few days, even after I’ve been 95% sure I had already found the one I’m looking for. There have been a couple of times that I’ve been very glad I turned over a couple extra stones and not settled. Pretty sure that people have interviewed with me, knowing that they weren’t going to take the job, but just wanted to take a closer look, to be sure. I don't blame them for doing that. I'll bet a lot of us have done that in our career. Did you blame the guy interviewing you for not being able to blow your preferred option out of the water?

Although it seems like a waste to put in time on something that is likely not going to happen, (and I completely respect and understand that thought process-concentrate your efforts on what you CAN get, not what you CAN’T get) but I also can imagine the criticism that would have come to coach Johnson for not at least trying, (can’t win if you never try) to get a commitment from some of the possibilities that may have already 95% made up their minds to do something else. if I'm not mistaken, I have seen that exact criticism from some posters over the years about that exact situation. There seems to be a lot of “Dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t” from the variety of sports fans we have here.

I will say that there have been many times that I’ve pretty much made up my mind (95%) on a major purchase, but I continued to check out a couple of other options, just in case. I’m sure the business managers of the stores that were mostly out of the picture, would have not been happy if their people hadn’t at least made an effort to change my mind.

In my business, I have also continued to interview candidates for a few days, even after I’ve been 95% sure I had already found the one I’m looking for. There have been a couple of times that I’ve been very glad I turned over a couple extra stones and not settled. Pretty sure that people have interviewed with me, knowing that they weren’t going to take the job, but just wanted to take a closer look, to be sure. I don't blame them for doing that. I'll bet a lot of us have done that in our career. Did you blame the guy interviewing you for not being able to blow your preferred option out of the water?

Although it seems like a waste to put in time on something that is likely not going to happen, (and I completely respect and understand that thought process-concentrate your efforts on what you CAN get, not what you CAN’T get) but I also can imagine the criticism that would have come to coach Johnson for not at least trying, (can’t win if you never try) to get a commitment from some of the possibilities that may have already 95% made up their minds to do something else. if I'm not mistaken, I have seen that exact criticism from some posters over the years about that exact situation. There seems to be a lot of “Dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t” from the variety of sports fans we have here.
Awesome. You learned how to use the BOLD button. U da man!

He would have been our second best guard last year.

I don't know if you knew this but if we lose a recruit for any reason, that reason is enough to excuse the poor recruiting.

A player follows his coach to a much worse program = Not a recruiting miss
A player wants to go east = not a recruiting miss
A player's favorite color is probably not maroon = not a recruiting miss

However, if a player wants to come to the U for any reason whatsoever, it's a recruiting win. It's actually a recruiting win even if that player never comes to the U, the fact they said they would for a few months is a definite recruiting win too.

I don't know if you knew this but if we lose a recruit for any reason, that reason is enough to excuse the poor recruiting.

However, if a player wants to come to the U for any reason whatsoever, it's a recruiting win. It's actually a recruiting win even if that player never comes to the U, the fact they said they would for a few months is a definite recruiting win too.
Not only did I not know those things, I still don’t.

apologists gonna apologize

I listened to the Coach P podcast on the women's side...she said her son would have an announcement soon but she couldn't say more. I'd have to re-listen but I think she said they recently moved his college stuff to Minneapolis. While it is true it would probably go here in between where ever his next stop is...it did seem possible he may be a Gopher.

16 month rehab on a Teddy Bridgewater type knee injury-everything ripped up ACL, MCL, both meniscus. Elite knee doctor happened to be a fan in attendance at the game where/when the injury occurred...he stabilized his knee on site...without that with all the damage he probably could not have recovered to play sports again.

Last edited:

I listened to the Coach P podcast on the women's side...she said her son would have an announcement soon but she couldn't say more. I'd have to re-listen but I think she said they recently moved his college stuff to Minneapolis. While it is true it would probably go here in between where ever his next stop is...it did seem possible he may be a Gopher.

16 month rehab on a Teddy Bridgewater type knee injury-everything ripped up ACL, MCL, both meniscus. Elite knee doctor happened to be a fan in attendance at the game where/when the injury occurred...he stabilized his knee on site...without that with all the damage he probably could not have recovered to play sports again.
That’s interesting about moving his college stuff to Minneapolis. Could mean nothing, could mean something.

I suppose that could bring St. Thomas into the picture, too, but I doubt he’d want to transfer to a school that’s ineligible for the NCAA tourney.

Top Bottom