2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

I like! Shot 47% from 3 point range on almost 4 attempts per game. 1.7 steals per game. Led a winning team. Close the deal!

One negative- he turns it over at an alarming rate - 4 turnovers per game- so he takes too many risks. Howard did play some pretty high scoring games so lots of possessions.
Just trying to put some numbers in comparison. Hawkins 7.5 turnovers per 100 possessions, Cooper was 4.5 per 100 last year. Not great. 47% from 3 last year but was sub 30% year 1. Hopefully that's a good sign but again just some context. Everyone was enamored with Coopers assist numbers coming in, per 100 possessions Hawkins is was just short of 11, Cooper 10.5 so that seems good.

At this point in the process send like a decent option, but there is also quite a jump in talent from the MEAC to the B1G

Highlights against Morgan St. 7TO but 4 asst and 2 steals. 16 pts on 5/13FG, 3/8
from 3 and 3/6FT. He is an active player with quick feet and made some great passes.. Likely have trouble guarding a bigger and stronger G. Didn't handle ball pressure very well. TO's are a concern but he sure can make things happen, good and bad.

12Pts vs Kansas, 5/11FG, 2/63PT, 7TO, 8Asst and 2 steals. Didn't watch it.

Just trying to put some numbers in comparison. Hawkins 7.5 turnovers per 100 possessions, Cooper was 4.5 per 100 last year. Not great. 47% from 3 last year but was sub 30% year 1. Hopefully that's a good sign but again just some context. Everyone was enamored with Coopers assist numbers coming in, per 100 possessions Hawkins is was just short of 11, Cooper 10.5 so that seems good.

At this point in the process send like a decent option, but there is also quite a jump in talent from the MEAC to the B1G
The guy(s) we bring in won't be on an island like Cooper was though so that should help them. Just need a guy (GET 2) to balance the roster.

The guy(s) we bring in won't be on an island like Cooper was though so that should help them. Just need a guy (GET 2) to balance the roster.
I liked from the little I saw from Hawkins minus the TO's of course. He is the anti-thesis from Cooper kinda like the turtle to the hare.

I liked from the little I saw from Hawkins minus the TO's of course. He is the anti-thesis from Cooper kinda like the turtle to the hare.
Obviously Ben would have to rein in the TO issue but the idea of a change of pace guy who could create some different matchups, up the tempo and hopefully defend quicker points is one I like a lot.

Love that Hawkins is a guy who will drive and looks like he is very quick. The very first possession of the Kansas game he takes it to the rim (barely misses) but nice shot creation. Reasonable FT% at 76%. A little small for the B10 at 5'11" 160 which would limit lineups a bit.

Would be a very nice consolation prize for the Gophers.

Who do we have that makes you think a new point guard won’t be on an island? I’m not seeing shooters that he can drive and kick out to. I think the island is still a problem.

Who do we have that makes you think a new point guard won’t be on an island? I’m not seeing shooters that he can drive and kick out to. I think the island is still a problem.
On an island meaning the only guy that can handle the ball out there is what I was thinking. Mitchell should be able to relieve whoever else we bring in to handle it.

Cooper was all we had last year.

On an island meaning the only guy that can handle the ball out there is what I was thinking. Mitchell should be able to relieve whoever else we bring in to handle it.

Got it. Misinterpretation of the metaphor.

Ahh.. oh. The roster?

Agree with this. Watching teams run trap against us was painful.

We ranked 347th in fast break points last year. Out of 352.

Garcia, Betts, Christie, Mitchell for starters. Even Payne.

Garcia, Betts, Christie, Mitchell for starters. Even Payne.
....add Carrington and Ihnen.... I think Ihnen is going to surprise some people if he stays healthy. Even JOJ showed that he could stick the open 3 point shot last year. I don't expect Payne to be shooting 3s this coming year but I do expect him to develop range to 10-12 feet.

Then we flood the portal. Even many of the blue bloods with NIL are losing their benches. Guess that is todays basketball. Many thanks NCAA.

....add Carrington and Ihnen.... I think Ihnen is going to surprise some people if he stays healthy. Even JOJ showed that he could stick the open 3 point shot last year. I don't expect Payne to be shooting 3s this coming year but I do expect him to develop range to 10-12 feet.
Great post. I see penetration that draws the bigs and opens Payne for a bounce pass or Alley Oops with a huge slam. Dream come true. Or Wilson, nobody going to cover him. Lol

I think a guard that can drive to the hoop is a HUGE bonus for Payne. Even if the guard doesn't finish, Payne's defender will likely need to slide over to contest, that leaves a ton of cleanup put backs for Payne. Gophers never really had a player that could drive to the hoop last year.

I don’t laugh. I find Ramberg value on this team.
100% correct. Nobody plays 13 guys. To have a kid with his attitude and understanding of the game, who can actually play and not hurt you, is a great asset to a team. If he is your 12th or 13th guy- that's just fine.

Where is cjbfbp? He was a good source of data on portal players.

Excellent points. I wonder how he pairs with Mitchell?

Say can you ask hawkins to do less of the pressured moving the ball up and then Play through him? Use his passing/shooting/quickness as an asset. Just spitballing ways one might minimize those turnovers before the work of it can be accomplished (assuming it will take a season of coaching and daily work to really drive those done considerably).

100% correct. Nobody plays 13 guys. To have a kid with his attitude and understanding of the game, who can actually play and not hurt you, is a great asset to a team. If he is your 12th or 13th guy- that's just fine.
Ramberg will absolutely crush the men's league pick-up scene after his collegiate days are over.

In all seriousness, while it was disappointing that he had to play a role last year due to our lack of depth, he was the only player who consistently moved without the ball. He has a knack for knowing where to be at all times.

There are many good things Will does that younger guys should try to pick up on. I'm thrilled he's on the team.

Last edited:

He got banned for some reason. I hope it wasn't for arguing with posters. Doesn't seem like the type to go over the top with any posts.
He got a little personal at times, but wasn’t obnoxious as far as I remember, and had data that was helpful in these conversations.

Ramberg is a great asset. LOL.

Holy **** you're a moron.

Top Bottom