2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

Are you really, truly blaming MN BB fans for the failure? Really?

Do you suppose there are fans that already are at their limit spending for tickets, parking, etc etc?

Dont worry, Ben, its the darn MN BB fans that cause all these losses...........

Completely blind.
It's the new reality. I don't like it, but everyone is making fun of Ben having no NIL...what is NIL....money raised from boosters to support athletes. Ben got a 5 star recruit who was willing to play here on our last place team but Louisville basically bought him. We lost Battle because we have so little NIL. We are the boosters. We can whine about the new landscape...but this is where we are. If we want to be the program that lures other players away from other teams, we are all going to have to donate more because that's what's happening. I don't like it but it is what it is.

To repeat, nobody "needs" role players. Unless by role player yoy mean "better than the other team's guy."
No coach would ever willingly put a guy on his bench not capable of playing well enough to be a starter.
Come on. You really believe this?

Come on. You really believe this?
I believe it. I think a coach should show up to the first day of practice and look at the 13-14 players in front of him not knowing which 5 will be starters or which 8-9 will be the players that play 10+ mn/gm. If the coach is recruiting specifically for a practice player or end of the bench guy, he isn't a good recruiter or roster constructor. Obviously we will be surprised if Payne/Garcia/Mitchell don't fill 3 of 5 starting spots. But right now I can literally see anyone on the roster being one of the top 8-9 this coming season. I've named 3. The 5-6 more could being any of the following players: Carrington/Christie/Betts/Fox/Ihnen/JOJ/Ramberg(hope not)/2-3 more from the portal. If Mitchell (or Payne) gets pissed because we bring in a all american PG (or 5 for Payne), tough crap. We are here to win. Suck it up and play better or transfer again. Realistically college BB coaches will be recruting from the portal every year. Last stats I saw was 90+% of D1 teams lost guys to the portal.

Lol!!!!! You think it's the fans $$ luring in the big time recruits... Or any recruit... No it's your doners aka the BAGMEN
Well as long as fans for other programs are contributing to their teams at a higher rate...whether or not it is our job is a moot point.

Way to go, Frannie! This is similar to what Shaka said last year when he completely ignored the portal. When the first conversation in any service relationship is money, it won't end well.

Somehow, the NCAA has to put guard rails on this and allow guys to get what their worth in NIL, but not be paid to play. The obvious thing they can do to pull the reins back a bit is bring back the sit out year. I know people say they will be sued, but I do think they still have a right to establish eligibility requirements.

Way to go, Frannie! This is similar to what Shaka said last year when he completely ignored the portal. When the first conversation in any service relationship is money, it won't end well.

Somehow, the NCAA has to put guard rails on this and allow guys to get what their worth in NIL, but not be paid to play. The obvious thing they can do to pull the reins back a bit is bring back the sit out year. I know people say they will be sued, but I do think they still have a right to establish eligibility requirements.

I don't think they should bring back the sit-out requirement (although I think they should enforce the one-time transfer rule more strictly) but I think they should declare the player ineligible and possibly take any available measures they can against these "agents."

That's interesting. Wonder how much he got for that? If it was $300 or less, fine. If it was $3,000, then that's a problem.

I don't think they should bring back the sit-out requirement (although I think they should enforce the one-time transfer rule more strictly) but I think they should declare the player ineligible and possibly take any available measures they can against these "agents."
The problem with agents now is that with NIL, the players need some representation with that part of the equation, which should have nothing to do with the school. It's a quagmire. I'm a disclosure guy, and I wonder if required disclosure of payments to players and by whom, and who represents them would at least shine some light on the sleaze. I also think that some public disclosure about how many athletes are receiving payment (and for what) would help. And before anyone attacks about legalities, I'm aware there might be some, but that fear shouldn't stop the system from trying to do something.

I'm still in favor of the sit out and think that would be most effective in curtailing the shopping that Frannie is pointing out. Right now, there is almost no risk to a decent player. Adding some risk to the equation, which I think is fair, at least creates a real decision between the current known situation and the less or not known future situation.

The problem with agents now is that with NIL, the players need some representation with that part of the equation, which should have nothing to do with the school. It's a quagmire. I'm a disclosure guy, and I wonder if required disclosure of payments to players and by whom, and who represents them would at least shine some light on the sleaze. I also think that some public disclosure about how many athletes are receiving payment (and for what) would help. And before anyone attacks about legalities, I'm aware there might be some, but that fear shouldn't stop the system from trying to do something.

I'm still in favor of the sit out and think that would be most effective in curtailing the shopping that Frannie is pointing out. Right now, there is almost no risk to a decent player. Adding some risk to the equation, which I think is fair, at least creates a real decision between the current known situation and the less or not known future situation.

The problem I have with reinstating the sit-out is that seems like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Yeah, just because something's become "legal" doesn't mean it ain't dirty. The more that's going on out there, legal or not, it makes it more difficult to keep up with, regulate, and enforce. It's a chaotic wild west out there, and coaches and administrators are so busy trying to compete in the new environment, good luck anyone having the time to try to rein it in.

Part of me wonders whether the NCAA has reasoned that it'll need to get a whole lot worse before it can get better, before institutions come begging for some relief and order. The ultimate I told you so. In all seriousness, that kind of plea is what it'll take for them to give the NCAA the moral authority to regulate.

As you've heard me say before, ANY game needs rules, or it ain't a game.

Mullins didn’t do crap against UST if I remember right… He was about fourth on the list of concerns regarding DU
Looks like they had one guy averaging 16 ppg and 5 others around 10 ppg.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230414_195052_ESPN.jpg
    Screenshot_20230414_195052_ESPN.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 11

Just seen possible Gopher visit on the free part of Gopher illustrated.

Sean Bairstow of Utah State. Listed as a 6-8 gaurd. 1 yr grad transferring. His stats:

Lists us or Nebraska.
Would be an interesting get. Looks like he could be a potential starter at the 3 for us. The poor FT shooting and 3pt% from two years ago are kind of concerning tho

Just seen possible Gopher visit on the free part of Gopher illustrated.

Sean Bairstow of Utah State. Listed as a 6-8 gaurd. 1 yr grad transferring. His stats:

Lists us or Nebraska.
Finally a big wing!
I like the idea of weightsell and this guy….
Mitchell
Wrightsell
Bairstow
Garcia
Payne

Would be a good battle for the starting “3”
Christie and carrington as guard depth
JOJ, Ihnen, Betts, Fox as front court depth
Wilson as emergency 5 practice guy
The three walk ons

I don’t hate it

Would be an interesting get. Looks like he could be a potential starter at the 3 for us. The poor FT shooting and 3pt% from two years ago are kind of concerning tho
Wouldn’t that free throw percentage have led the team this past year?? 🤪

Top Bottom