2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

Not all players in the transfer portal only have 1 year left. Many have at least 2 if not 3, so wouldn't always need 5 each year.

Yes, but you could have at least a couple of homegrown players leaving via the portal each year and then some transfers who are out of eligibility or do not elect a 5th year (that won't be an issue in a few years). In fact, that is our situation currently. We have two transfer players (Battle, Cooper) apparently deciding against a 5th year, another transfer out of eligibility (Samuels), and two players recruited out of high school that are leaving via the portal. One high school player will be coming in so that leaves 4 spaces to replace. Even getting 4 decent to good players from the portal is a real challenge.

holy smokes- what a mess

One of those 8 transfers from Long Island University is from Brooklyn Park - Jacob Johnson (Champlin Park HS). He is a shooting guard and was their 2nd leading scorer. Of course, he was the second leading scorer on a 3-26 team, so there's that.

Oddly enough, LIU has a very noteworthy first year coach: Rod Strickland. He was a star at DePaul years ago and played almost 1,100 games in the NBA.

I'd rather have TT back.
Ive been led to believe we don't need frontcourt help. We already have too much talent there.

Payne and Garcia "tops in the Big." And Betts, Fox, JOJ! Only one basketball and so many minutes.

Ive been led to believe we don't need frontcourt help. We already have too much talent there.

Payne and Garcia "tops in the Big." And Betts, Fox, JOJ! Only one basketball and so many minutes.
In the top 3 front court duos in the Big Ten next year- that's what was said. Be honest.

87 3 star PF out of HS -

With everyone else in the portal we are now deep diving into 2 ppg players... He has a few more years to find his game.. but this is not who we need to putting our energy into... We need capable guards...

But this is CBJ let's stock up of positions we don't need... Freaking forward man... Does. This mean fox and or ihnen won't be back

With everyone else in the portal we are now deep diving into 2 ppg players... He has a few more years to find his game.. but this is not who we need to putting our energy into... We need capable guards...

But this is CBJ let's stock up of positions we don't need... Freaking forward man... Does. This mean fox and or ihnen won't be back
I have no clue about him, just posted his HS recruiting profile, as another poster mentioned him. Thus is like 500 piece jigsaw puzzle 🧩 and we can’t see the box 📦.

I hope he has a plan and executes and doesn’t chase what isn’t required- I realize there is a higher probability this won’t work, than it will, but I can always be disappointed later if need be.

Trevor Mbakwe 2007-8 Marquette freshman- 1.5ppg

I have no clue about him, just posted his HS recruiting profile, as another poster mentioned him. Thus is like 500 piece jigsaw puzzle 🧩 and we can’t see the box 📦.

I hope he has a plan and executes and doesn’t chase what isn’t required- I realize there is a higher probability this won’t work, than it will, but I can always be disappointed later if need be.
I agree with alot of your commentary.. however we don't need forwards.. this is not upgrading that position... However just maybe this is basically solving the 12th scholarship guy early??? That is if we're going to have 12 scholly players this next year

I agree with alot of your commentary.. however we don't need forwards.. this is not upgrading that position... However just maybe this is basically solving the 12th scholarship guy early??? That is if we're going to have 12 scholly players this next year
Thanks.

To clarify I wasn’t saying we need another forward - the only way I can see adding someone like him, is if he’s not going to extend Ramberg’s scholarship and likes getting a player with three years and thinks he can be an asset down the line.

He was a freshman that played 8 minutes a game. Had some good offers out of HS. Wouldn’t be a big splash add but not terrible either.

I keep reading on here that we don’t need forwards but I’m curious who these postes feel is going to play the 3? We have a few reserve 4s behind Garcia. But the 3? Ola Joseph? Ihnen? Betts?

I keep reading on here that we don’t need forwards but I’m curious who these postes feel is going to play the 3? We have a few reserve 4s behind Garcia. But the 3? Ola Joseph? Ihnen? Betts?
Good question. Implication is that likely Ihnen is slotted in somewhere. Two full seasons without playing presents a pretty high risk to rely on significant contribution.

Yes- the best of the 3. I think Ola Joseph if he keeps growing his game and learns to defend- has a shot at being good at that slot. I think we need another 4/5 guy to back up Payne.

its still depressing to me that we had to role out a starting lineup with 3 PF on it.
we have plenty of room to add a big wing (3) man.
and that became even more important when Henley transferred out as he had the ability and length to play some there as well.

2 Guards
big wing
back up center

those are our needs......

Good question. Implication is that likely Ihnen is slotted in somewhere. Two full seasons without playing presents a pretty high risk to rely on significant contribution.
Yes- the best of the 3. I think Ola Joseph if he keeps growing his game and learns to defend- has a shot at being good at that slot. I think we need another 4/5 guy to back up Payne.
I see Ola Josep as an undersized 4. Doesn’t shoot well enough to play on the perimeter. Think he can defend the 3 though.

I see Ola Josep as an undersized 4. Doesn’t shoot well enough to play on the perimeter. Think he can defend the 3 though.
He is developing. He will get better and develop more range. He has a very difficult time right now defending bigger guys at the 4 as you could see painfully in the Wisconsin game. I think that the reality is that he is really about 6-5 not 6-7. Here's a surprising stat- JOJ shot 38% on 3s this year- small sample size only 8/21 but he really grew from day 1 to year end. He has the ability to beat guys off the dribble.... Ideally he plays at the 3

Concur. He doesnt have an offensive game suited for anything except interior muscle work.

Actually if you look at the data in this excellent thread, created by @matt you’ll seeJOJ shot over 50% over the field the whole season and during the last third, was at 50% from 3 -

Very selective, which I prefer, as he doesn’t need to shoot if all the time to contribute and he’s not going to kill you by taking lots of bad shots ala Battle

Top Bottom