2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

SIAP

From Illinois. Played with Cam Christie's brother in AAU. Scored 25 @ Miami.
Looks like a good PG to grab here! Think you would also want to grab a more veteran PG too like Nick Timberlake to help him for year while you wait on G Isaac Asuma.

Last edited:

That's quite the list and includes a lot of Big Ten teams, if that's something he likes. Step 1: We're contacted him.
Good God. :oops:

Facing competition like that and given the dire situation we're in as a team, I'm wondering how exactly you try and sell a guy like that on coming here? That's got to be absolutely brutally difficult to try and do, and that is one hell of a task Mr. Johnson has got in front of him, how to try and get kids to buy in and believe given the fact we are at the absolute bottom of the well right now and with precious few signs of getting out of there anytime soon. Now this particular player might lie somewhere between a whisper and a prayer for us, but the same applies to any half-decent player in the portal, how to get them to come here?

Facing competition like that and given the dire situation we're in as a team, I'm wondering how exactly you try and sell a guy like that on coming here? That's got to be absolutely brutally difficult to try and do, and that is one hell of a task Mr. Johnson has got in front of him, how to try and get kids to buy in and believe given the fact we are at the absolute bottom of the well right now and with precious few signs of getting out of there anytime soon. Now this particular player might lie somewhere between a whisper and a prayer for us, but the same applies to any half-decent player in the portal, how to get them to come here?
Our pitch: Here kid- here's the car and there is no one else in it. You get to drive!
Other programs- hop in the car and compete with our other kids for a chance to drive.

With the right point guard- we are not that far away- I am selling Payne, Garcia (A level front court) and Max Christie's brother.

Thx for pointing that out. Need a center who can rebound and block shots.
No. No we don't. If the Gophers signed a 20 yr old Shaq it wouldn't help. WE NEED GUARDS!!! Obviously a decent 5 to back up Payne would be a nice after thought, but we are literally dead in the water w/out some guards. If we don't get the guards we need it will not matter if we get a 5 to back up Payne. Here is why: Start Payne at the 5 and Garcia at the 4. When Payne needs a blow, we move Garcia to the 5 for a few minutes. He is 6'11" and started as our 5 mutiple games this season. Ihnen, Fox , Betts, JOJ can back up Garcia at the 4 for a few minutes. Per game 5-Payne 30 min/Garcia 10. 4-Garcia = 25 Ihnen/Fox/JOJ/Betts = 15. P, 2 and 3 will be a combo of Christie, JOJ, Cooper (hope he stays), Carrington, portal guards X 2.

Well, I'm glad for that! Good job, Ben! Now, sell this like you would sell a reprieve to the governor if your mother was on death row.
Honestly what does that even mean that he’s heard from us? If he hasn’t…it should be a fireable offense. At this point the Gophers should be putting feelers out to almost ever portal guard, especially with decent numbers and more than 1 year of eligibility. If the gophers aren’t reaching out to all…what are we doing?

Could use a backup center but there are better candidates, even as backups.
Any decent pure center will take one look at Payne and say no way. Unless you aren't very good and know you will be on the bench behind Payne for 3 more years. We may get A center but he won't be a great center. Obviously someone has to back up Payne but how does Ben sell that? Love to be a fly on the wall for that sales pitch.

Pretty good numbers for a freshman. He is from Illinois (Bloomington so not close to Christie) but he did his final high school year at a hoity toity boarding school in Ohio (Western Reserve Academy).
Played for the Illinois Wolves AAU team with Max Christie though. Same AAU program Cam played for too, so I'm sure they are at least familiar with each other.

Any decent pure center will take one look at Payne and say no way. Unless you aren't very good and know you will be on the bench behind Payne for 3 more years. We may get A center but he won't be a great center. Obviously someone has to back up Payne but how does Ben sell that? Love to be a fly on the wall for that sales pitch.

I realize that but Elivs isn't that big and did absolutely nothing this season at George Mason. A backup center here could play some decent minutes. Payne gets into foul trouble fairly regularly and a backup could play at the end of halves if he is a better free throw shooter.

Guards, guards guards Two at minimum, three preferably . Backup centers? Could care less.

Agree that the first priority is getting multiple guards but a backup center would help. There's no reason why you can't recruit one backup center at the same time that you're recruiting guards.

Honestly what does that even mean that he’s heard from us? If he hasn’t…it should be a fireable offense. At this point the Gophers should be putting feelers out to almost ever portal guard, especially with decent numbers and more than 1 year of eligibility. If the gophers aren’t reaching out to all…what are we doing?

Yes, I know but at least he made contact quickly.

Our pitch: Here kid- here's the car and there is no one else in it. You get to drive!
Other programs- hop in the car and compete with our other kids for a chance to drive.

With the right point guard- we are not that far away- I am selling Payne, Garcia (A level front court) and Max Christie's brother.

Also, never underestimate the power of personality. If you can make a recruit comfortable, in a good mood, laugh a little, and feel the comaraderie of other personalities (like the current freshmen) that can go a long way even if other places have some institutional advantages. Ben didn't have the institutional advantages or the reputation but he still was able to get Evans and Christie to commit here. I suspect he has some talents in the interpersonal area that some other more successful coaches may be lacking.

Also, never underestimate the power of personality. If you can make a recruit comfortable, in a good mood, laugh a little, and feel the comaraderie of other personalities (like the current freshmen) that can go a long way even if other places have some institutional advantages. Ben didn't have the institutional advantages or the reputation but he still was able to get Evans and Christie to commit here. I suspect he has some talents in the interpersonal area that some other more successful coaches may be lacking.
On the car analogy:
Ours is a 1993 Camry with average maintenance and 325k miles whereas the other guys is a new sports car

Holy cripes. It seems like just a few short years ago we had a chip, a chair, and a chance against Gonzaga for Geno Crandall's services. Hey, it WAS just a few short years ago!

Still early yet (portal just under 500 this morning) but these are the leading exporters of players so far.

1678978338223.png

Still early yet (portal just under 500 this morning) but these are the leading exporters of players so far.

View attachment 24599
With the way the portal is, I can see a common theme of high school players(unless highly noted) committing to smaller school teams to get minutes and show there stuff to know they will transfer to bigger school. I can see more and more bigger schools swooping the transfer portal rather then recruiting out of H.S. Then there is the trading where the ones that don't make the bigger schools, move down to get playing time.

With the way the portal is, I can see a common theme of high school players(unless highly noted) committing to smaller school teams to get minutes and show there stuff to know they will transfer to bigger school. I can see more and more bigger schools swooping the transfer portal rather then recruiting out of H.S.
Opposite strategy of MN.

I can see more and more bigger schools swooping the transfer portal rather then recruiting out of H.S. Then there is the trading where the ones that don't make the bigger schools, move down to get playing time.

To a degree, yes, but transfer recruiting is extremely competitive - more competitive than prep recruiting - and you don't have as much time to recruit the players. Look how many contacts that Wofford freshman point received almost immediately after his name appeared in the portal and that probably wasn't the full list.

I still think the substantial majority of programs will prefer to fill most of their rosters through traditional prep recruiting and use transfer recruiting to fill in the gaps. Having to go to the portal every year to get five or more players would be brutal.

To a degree, yes, but transfer recruiting is extremely competitive - more competitive than prep recruiting - and you don't have as much time to recruit the players. Look how many contacts that Wofford freshman point received almost immediately after his name appeared in the portal and that probably wasn't the full list.

I still think the substantial majority of programs will prefer to fill most of their rosters through traditional prep recruiting and use transfer recruiting to fill in the gaps. Having to go to the portal every year to get five or more players would be brutal.
Not all players in the transfer portal only have 1 year left. Many have at least 2 if not 3, so wouldn't always need 5 each year.

Top Bottom