2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

I assuming no news is good news concerning more Gophers entering the portal.
Would be nice to hear that post season meetings with players are done as well. It’s good news but part of me thinks guys with options could change their minds if there isn’t enough talent coming through the portal.

Would be nice to hear that post season meetings with players are done as well. It’s good news but part of me thinks guys with options could change their minds if there isn’t enough talent coming through the portal.
With NIL blowing up this year, I have to believe that the portal will set a record and lots more will shop their services for cash. Wasn't there over 1000 in there last year? That's 3 per team on the average.

With NIL blowing up this year, I have to believe that the portal will set a record and lots more will shop their services for cash. Wasn't there over 1000 in there last year? That's 3 per team on the average.
UMN has shut down their program. No NIL here. UMN is following the University of Chicago right out the B1G. Williams Arena will be shuttered by the end of April.

UMN has shut down their program. No NIL here. UMN is following the University of Chicago right out the B1G. Williams Arena will be shuttered by the end of April.
We get it.

From Minnesota
From Brooklyn Park and went to Maranatha Christian Academy and then to Lake region State College for a couple years and to NH for a year -SF 6’6 225

No 247 that I could find - late bloomer who may want to get his degree from UM @Wet_Blanket_Guy ?!?!?!

From Brooklyn Park and went to Maranatha Christian Academy and then to Lake region State College for a couple years and to NH for a year -SF 6’6 225

No 247 that I could find - late bloomer who may want to get his degree from UM @Wet_Blanket_Guy ?!?!?!

Wow. That's a chance for Ben! Kid has good numbers across the board. Can shoot, goes to the boards... home sweet home!

Isn’t that the school Sean Sutherlin came from? New Hampshire?

It is.
Feels like this should be an easy pickup. This is why we got CBJ I'm told.

Solid numbers, I'd caution that Sutherlin put up similar-ish (little worse %s) at NH. Not sure with our glut of PF where he would fit.

Feels like this should be an easy pickup. This is why we got CBJ I'm told.

Solid numbers, I'd caution that Sutherlin put up similar-ish (little worse %s) at NH. Not sure with our glut of PF where he would fit.
Shoots the 3 well- so that's not Sutherlin like.... He has wing size- how is his handle? That's the key .

I’ll pass. Another tweener. Most likely a small sf. He had 38 ast all season compared to 62 turnovers.

We need ball handlers and guys who can penetrate and dish. This is not his game.

He seems like JOJ and I’d rather have JOJ’s upside

I’ll pass. Another tweener. Most likely a small sf. He had 38 ast all season compared to 62 turnovers.

We need ball handlers and guys who can penetrate and dish. This is not his game.

But but but we gotta lock down the borders... Ben was brought here to recruit MN kids

We get it.
I don't think people do. The entire State is crashing down before our eyes with no human being having any desire to ever play basketball ever again. It's apocalyptic in nature and there is no recovery from the losses that have been sustained. All hope has abandoned us.

Looks like WIll Wade has already landed two players who used to be at Cincinati. McNeese will be their third school.

Not to say they you’re wrong, but you predictably lived up to your moniker.

Are you optimistic about anything? Or are you the type When winning the lottery, bitches about paying taxes?

Last edited:

Don’t use USNWR rankings for anything besides toilet paper.

For example, where was Columbia ranked in the 2021- 2022 rankings?
Regarding Columbia, I don’t know and I really don’t care sport

So what does an erudite gent, such as yourself, consider superior and why (be very specific as to why it is better)?

Criticizing something without providing a reasonable alternative is disingenuous at best and intellectually dishonest at worst.

Last edited:

I've said many times that this institution and community are very saleable. Once upon a time, they attracted the top recruiting class in the country. Another time, they attracted Messrs. Basketball in the states of Kentucky and Arkansas and the runner-up in the state of Indiana, all in the same graduating class. What's not saleable is a dumpster fire of a basketball program, not offering much of a chance to contend for anything regardless of the athlete's commitment and efforts.

Hard to sell Minneapolis to anyone these days !!!
It's a mess here

i agree he looks a lot like JOJ watching the few highlights....except he seems to be way more comfortable shooting

hes an interesting player.

Not to say they you’re wrong, but you predictably lived up to your moniker.

Are you optimistic about anything? Or are you the type When winning the lottery, bitches about paying taxes?
I’ll be optimistic about quick guards who have more assists than turnovers.

I don’t care where they played high school basketball.

As someone who also roots for UST, saying Clarence Daniels scored 34 against BC is like saying Anders Nelson (former UST PG who transfer to William and Mary) scored 25 against Virginia Tech (a much higher KenPom team than BC…albeit each team is roughly the same in regards to defensive efficiency).

Would I want Anders Nelson on the U just because he torched VT and shot 46.6% on Treys while having a nearly 2-1 assist to turnover ratio…no I wouldn’t. He’s a really good player, but he’s a really good player at lower levels, or in very small doses at high levels…not consistently at high levels. He lacks speed and quickness.

The Gophers need: SPEED, Quickness, Vision, Passing, Shooting.

They also need CBJ to figure out what tempo he wants to play. I’d argue they should run and gun with Garcia, Payne, and JOJ…but who knows what he will decide to do

As someone who also roots for UST, saying Clarence Daniels scored 34 against BC is like saying Anders Nelson (former UST PG who transfer to William and Mary) scored 25 against Virginia Tech (a much higher KenPom team than BC…albeit each team is roughly the same in regards to defensive efficiency).

Would I want Anders Nelson on the U just because he torched VT and shot 46.6% on Treys while having a nearly 2-1 assist to turnover ratio…no I wouldn’t. He’s a really good player, but he’s a really good player at lower levels, or in very small doses at high levels…not consistently at high levels. He lacks speed and quickness.

They also need CBJ to figure out what tempo he wants to play. I’d argue they should run and gun with Garcia, Payne, and JOJ…but who knows what he will decide to do
So you WOULD complain about paying those taxes😉

Yes - a couple of quick guards with those three would be really good. I love the way Michigan State does it with their best teams...you score on them and their bigs are racing up the floor and the guards get it up the floor fast to see if they can beat you down the court for a quick score- feeding the bigs. I am all for a controlled running game that include discipline to pull if back if the break isn't there. 3-4 easy buckets during a game - catching the other team napping after a made basket- can be the difference in momentum and winning the game.

Top Bottom