2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

If we got NO NIL money, no chance at landing an up and coming player. Sadly, I have lost hope.
We actually do have NIL money. Our players are getting some. Where we have a problem is where the big money gets tossed out there- we aren't going to be doing any 6 figure deals. I think we are going to be able attract some portal guys based on a combination of some cash and some playing time- coupled with Payne and Garcia (assuming they are solid).

This is feeling more and more like the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the surgeon is trying to piece that kid's abdomen together, and the kid gets shot in the head while he's working on him.
Give Ben some more morphine.

How long will it take for CBJ to land his 1st transfer this year? How good will it be?

Can we just hire the fired Ole Miss coach as an assistant. He’s got some pretty damn sweet recruits bailing and looking for a home.

I believe we need three things from the portal now.

1. PG this is the most important spot and they need to be good with the ball fast and play some fing defense.

2. An outside shooter we really could use a 2 who can rake and make fts. Obviously a good defender as well.

3. Backup or starting center. - need someone else who can play the 5. Got to keep Garcia at the 4. Would love to get the guy leaving Texas Tech.

I believe we need three things from the portal now.

1. PG this is the most important spot and they need to be good with the ball fast and play some fing defense.

2. An outside shooter we really could use a 2 who can rake and make fts. Obviously a good defender as well.

3. Backup or starting center. - need someone else who can play the 5. Got to keep Garcia at the 4. Would love to get the guy leaving Texas Tech.
Yup.

PG
Wing
Backup Center
2nd ball handler

Amir Whitlock, DeLasalle PG from Navy entered the portal

Was on the development team... can you not play as a frosh at Navy?
Looks like that was the 21-22 season, but can't find anything from this year on him.

Edit: Looks like he was still on the development team this year, also looks like his brother/relative Nasir Whitlock out of De La Salle is a Lehigh commit...seems a likely landing spot.

Looks like that was the 21-22 season, but can't find anything from this year on him.
He played his senior year at Brooklyn Park With Dain Dainja his apparently and is listed at 6’3 199. No 247 profile and limited offer info.

His brother is Nasir, the Guard who’s scoring bunches and is a Lehigh commit.

He played his senior year at Brooklyn Park With Dain Dainja his apparently and is listed at 6’3 199. No 247 profile and limited offer info.

His brother is Nasir, the Guard who’s scoring bunches and is a Lehigh commit.
Was he Big Ten worthy?

This could be a good opportunity for Ben!

The kid played at Pepperdine and is from San Jose. We just had a freshman from California enter the transfer portal after one season. We had another California recruit who recommitted. The last California player I recall on a Minnesota roster was a transfer guard who Tubby had in his last couple of years. Pitino did have a player from Washington state but he left after one semester.

I'd be a little gun shy about spending much time recruiting California players if I were the coach.

The kid played at Pepperdine and is from San Jose. We just had a freshman from California enter the transfer portal after one season. We had another California recruit who recommitted. The last California player I recall on a Minnesota roster was a transfer guard who Tubby had in his last couple of years. Pitino did have a player from Washington state but he left after one semester.

I'd be a little gun shy about spending much time recruiting California players if I were the coach.
Maverick?

Was he Big Ten worthy?
Never seen him hoop, but one of the posters non here has and thought he might be a recruit who was falling through the cracks - not sure he’s worth a scholarship or not.

Edit: Looks like he was still on the development team this year, also looks like his brother/relative Nasir Whitlock out of De La Salle is a Lehigh commit...seems a likely landing spot.
Yes ask South St. Paul about Nasir Whitlock last year…

His next coach will have to reign him in a bit.

But Ben should at least kick on the tires on Primo Spears from Georgetown. Kid has some game.

Top Bottom