2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

Ben really needs to do better with the portal. He needs to find a true 5 Center that can bang at the 5 in the Big Ten and 2 true PGs that can break the press, score, play D, and take pressure off the rest of the team.

Ben really needs to do better with the portal. He needs to find a true 5 Center that can bang at the 5 in the Big Ten and 2 true PGs that can break the press, score, play D, and take pressure off the rest of the team.
I'm not sure what team you were watching but Payne is about as true of a 5 and banger as you can get, he was dominating the tournament games at the 5. They badly need 2 guards and probably a backup 5 to Payne.

When you dig into certain players in the portal already and teams whom they have been contacted by, only seen one that states Gophers have reached out to them. Lot of them wonder why MN would not reach out to them already. Why are we not contacting and seeing what is out there? Even teams still playing and making the NCAA tourney are attacking the portal and contacting and their rosters are deeper than ours. If Ben can't do any better than the two landed last year....we are in trouble and time to make a change.

When you dig into certain players in the portal already and teams whom they have been contacted by, only seen one that states Gophers have reached out to them.
One out of how many?
How can you vouch for the accuracy of the list on the site?
Have you considered that maybe we did contact them and player(s) omitted us from their list?
Lot of them wonder why MN would not reach out to them already.
Is this an opinion only or do you have information to support your supposition?
Why are we not contacting and seeing what is out there?
How do you know we aren’t? Any empirical data or just basing it off a website?

You’re an alleged new poster or were banned previously and this is your new moniker, so you may or may not be familiar with the efforts from the previous two years, but numerous players were contacted and offered, but when you’re dealing with scarcity, sometimes you take home a 6 from the bar instead of an 8/9.
Even teams still playing and making the NCAA tourney are attacking the portal and contacting and their rosters are deeper than ours. If Ben can't do any better than the two landed last year....we are in trouble and time to make a change.
If Ben was going to be fired, he would have been by now and what he does it doesn’t secure, isn’t going to change Coyle!s mind.

FYI - we all get by now you don’t support Ben, but he’s the coach as I type this and likely will be for next year as well.

Do you can make peace with it it not- you life, your choice.

One out of how many?
How can you vouch for the accuracy of the list on the site?
Have you considered that maybe we did contact them and player(s) omitted us from their list?

Is this an opinion only or do you have information to support your supposition?

How do you know we aren’t? Any empirical data or just basing it off a website?

You’re an alleged new poster or were banned previously and this is your new moniker, so you may or may not be familiar with the efforts from the previous two years, but numerous players were contacted and offered, but when you’re dealing with scarcity, sometimes you take home a 6 from the bar instead of an 8/9.

If Ben was going to be fired, he would have been by now and what he does it doesn’t secure, isn’t going to change Coyle!s mind.

FYI - we all get by now you don’t support Ben, but he’s the coach as I type this and likely will be for next year as well.

Do you can make peace with it it not- you life, your choice.

First, I do support Ben and am really hoping he can turn this around fast. Kind of why I am looking into each persons Transfer readings and interesting to see how many of them list who has already contacted. Lets be kind here. Just interesting to see other schools, have more of a roster set, still reaching out to people. I hope Ben can find his guys for success!

https://247sports.com/college/wisco...ing-NCAA-Transfer-Portal-Greg-Gard-206146488/
'
Here is an example off one Gophers could possibly use to mentor Christie,Carrington,Henley.

Last edited:

First, I do support Ben and am really hoping he can turn this around fast. Kind of why I am looking into each persons Transfer readings and interesting to see how many of them list who has already contacted. Lets be kind here. Just interesting to see other schools, have more of a roster set, still reaching out to people. I hope Ben can find his guys for success!

https://247sports.com/college/wisco...ing-NCAA-Transfer-Portal-Greg-Gard-206146488/
'
Here is an example off one Gophers could possibly use to mentor Christie,Carrington,Henley.
I appreciate your post and thoughtful response and thanks for clarifying your position on Ben.

My point was not all the information being reported by any site is necessarily accurate; Ben’s a bright guy and I’m sure he knows there thus is his make or break year and he’s partaking in the portal like it’s with 2 million bucks - I think he’s beyond motivated.

I and no one else has no idea if he’s the answer or not and I hope he is; we find a way to muddle if the pack and get some of those amazing 2025 MN recruits interested in staying.

What makes you think the university had anything to do with him getting hired at New Mexico?

Because he was hired by New Mexico less than 24 hrs after he was fired, and then Minnesota didn't have to pay his buyout.

Ben has the same clause in his contract for a head or an assistant job.

Because he was hired by New Mexico less than 24 hrs after he was fired, and then Minnesota didn't have to pay his buyout.

Ben has the same clause in his contract for a head or an assistant job.
In what situation would they have paid the buyout? If Pitino didn't coach the next season?

It makes more sense to you that he willingly gave up millions to move to Albuquerque?
Yes. I can't imagine the difference between his buyout and new salary was that much, especially considering how cheap it is in New Mexico compared to Minnesota. Why lose Mashburn Jr. for a year off when you've got a D1 job lined up?

Didnt coyle come out and say he knows the a.d. there had some talks and basically got him the job or something like that...

Yes. I can't imagine the difference between his buyout and new salary was that much, especially considering how cheap it is in New Mexico compared to Minnesota. Why lose Mashburn Jr. for a year off when you've got a D1 job lined up?

Pitino's 1st year salary at New Mexico was 775k, his buyout was 1.75 million. There was a separation agreement reached which waived fees on both sides.

In the contract extension Pitino signed in 2019, he had a $1.75 million buyout for a dismissal prior to April 30, 2021, but payment was to cease once he found comparable employment. There was also a $500,000 early termination clause that Pitino would’ve been on the hook for if he pre-emptively departed for another job. Both of those fees were waived in the separation agreement.

Top Bottom