2023-24 Gopher Hockey Season

I won't "admit you were right?" Sure I would but that isn't the point. My point is that your outlook is very negative in general. We might indeed get swept, but it won't be a "minor miracle" if we split. Won't even be a minor miracle if we sweep. I'd be surprised if we did, admittedly. I will predict a split. If it happens, it doesn't make me any smarter than anyone else. If it doesn't, it doesn't make me any dumber.

BTW, you post about every top recruit who goes anywhere other than the U. We just got a huge one, and it's crickets from you. I really do think you enjoy spreading negativity around this program, and I am not sure why.
It is a type of cognitive distortion that provides an illusion of control while attempting to insulate oneself from disappointment over a situation or scenario with which they care deeply, but have absolutely zero ability to directly affect the outcome.

It is a type of cognitive distortion that provides an illusion of control while attempting to insulate oneself from disappointment over a situation or scenario with which they care deeply, but have absolutely zero ability to directly affect the outcome.
Damn, that sums it up really well. I feel like bonin probably isn't a bad guy in person, and I respect his knowledge of the game as a whole and his passion for the program. It just gets emotionally draining reading the stuff he posts online. I shouldn't let it bother me, but I'm a weak man.

Ah okay, I get it. Very much like my own relationship with the Gopher Football team. Thanks for the clarification.

Damn, that sums it up really well. I feel like bonin probably isn't a bad guy in person, and I respect his knowledge of the game as a whole and his passion for the program. It just gets emotionally draining reading the stuff he posts online. I shouldn't let it bother me, but I'm a weak man.
Agree. They have some really keen insights and are clearly passionate about the hockey program. But when everything tilts towards the negative, it just gets exhausting, and people will just stop listening.

Well put. My brain's way of processing Minnesota sports. Emotionally hedging.

Witnessing Philly and Tampa in person left some massive "scars" on my emotional investment in the only sports team I care about. I have long since stopped watching any other MN team.

Last edited:

First ten games are going to be very tough for this team. I'm hoping for a sweep and four splits. If they don't get swept in any series it's a good result. Here's why:

Defensemen experience:
UMN154 games7 healthy D (No Koster)
UST201 games7 D that played week 1
UND238 games8 roster D (no games yet)
uw233 games8 D that played week 1
UMD297 games7 D that played week 1
UM379 games6 D that played week 1 (No Ethan Edwards)
Worse than I predicted so far.

1.66 wins in the sweep prediction series and already swept in just the 2nd of four hard ones.

Not sure a series thread is really needed. UMD has owned the Gophers. Get at least a split.

Last 10 games: 1-8-1
Last 5 at Mariucci: 1-4
Last 5 at Amsoil: 0-4-1
Motkzo Era: 1-4-1
Last win at Amsoil: 10/15/2011
Last win at Mariucci: 10/7/2018

I’ve barely caught any of the game due to other obligations but by all reports gophers have been dominant. For those who have been watching, does Koster look like he’s back to his old self?

Bob Motzko was trying to be patient. The Gophers men's hockey coach believed that players like Rhett Pitlick and Bryce Brodzinski would find their scoring touch soon, though he admitted last week it wasn't happening as quickly as he wished.

Motzko got what he wanted Friday, when the No. 6 Gophers rolled to a 5-1 victory over Minnesota Duluth at 3M Arena at Mariucci. Pitlick and defenseman Cal Thomas got their first goals of the season, and Brodzinski and Oliver Moore also scored as the Gophers broke a three-game losing streak.

Thomas got things started 3 minutes, 21 seconds into the game, scoring on a rebound as the Gophers pushed the pace. Brodzinski added a goal with 15.9 seconds left in the period, and Moore made it 3-0 at 1:14 of the second.

After Pitlick's goal at 9:51 of the third, the 14th-ranked Bulldogs ended the shutout with Carter Loney's goal at 16:03. Brodzinski added an empty-net goal at 18:28.

The Gophers outshot the Bulldogs 30-15. The loss was the third in a row for UMD..

Pairwise record of 3.66-3.33-1 through 8 games

That's was a win if not for all the dumb penalties they keep taking.

DULUTH — Minnesota Duluth forward Ben Steeves' low shot to Gophers' goaltender Justen Close's right side evened the score early in the third period — thwarting the Gophers' shot at a sweep of the rival team they haven't seen since the fall of 2021.

No. 6 Minnesota and No. 14 UMD tied 3-3 after a scoreless 5-minute overtime in the nonconference matchup in front of 7,345 at Amsoil Arena — but bragging rights went to the Bulldogs, who won the shootout 2-0 on Saturday.

The game officially goes down in the record book as a tie..

The Bulldogs' added their own tribute to the many honoring Adam Johnson, a two-year, big-impact player who died last weekend after he took a skate blade to the neck during an Elite Ice Hockey League game in England with his Nottingham Panthers. UMD played a video tribute on the scoreboard — including Johnson's key goals, celebrations, and photographs of him midstride. His portrait was on the big screen during a seven-second moment of silence for the Hibbing native who wore the No. 7 jersey when he played for the Bulldogs from 2015 to '17.

First ten games are going to be very tough for this team. I'm hoping for a sweep and four splits. If they don't get swept in any series it's a good result. Here's why:

Defensemen experience:
UMN154 games7 healthy D (No Koster)
UST201 games7 D that played week 1
UND238 games8 roster D (no games yet)
uw233 games8 D that played week 1
UMD297 games7 D that played week 1
UM379 games6 D that played week 1 (No Ethan Edwards)
Predicted 6-4

Got 5-3-2, or 4.66-3.33-2 from a pairwise perspective. Little worse than predicted, but pre season analysis of the team looking fairly accurate.

Next 14 game stretch is much easier, so expect a higher winning percentage than .600 in those games.

Last edited:

Where does Huglen go assuming he's healthy this weekend? Find it hard to move Clark back to 4th line after last weekends performance. Also a skill guy like Huglen with big body Strobel could help produce some offense there. I wonder what Bonin thinks?

Where does Huglen go assuming he's healthy this weekend? Find it hard to move Clark back to 4th line after last weekends performance. Also a skill guy like Huglen with big body Strobel could help produce some offense there. I wonder what Bonin thinks?
He probably thinks Huglen should transfer to Michigan.

Since he has re entered GPL under a different name, he will most likely not waste too much of his time on here now. He is now in back in the big pool where his negativity reaches a larger audience.

Since he has re entered GPL under a different name, he will most likely not waste too much of his time on here now. He is now in back in the big pool where his negativity reaches a larger audience.
Makes sense. I applied to be on GPL and never got an email back. So this message board will do. Bonin knows a lot about hockey but uses all of it to be negative... can't imagine watching any sport with him

Makes sense. I applied to be on GPL and never got an email back. So this message board will do. Bonin knows a lot about hockey but uses all of it to be negative... can't imagine watching any sport with him
Guy is unbearable, and is so arrogant that hat he thinks the reason people can’t stand him is because they don’t understand the game like he does.

Guy is unbearable, and is so arrogant that hat he thinks the reason people can’t stand him is because they don’t understand the game like he does.
You are a smart guy though so what do you think the answer is to my question about Huglen?

You are a smart guy though so what do you think the answer is to my question about Huglen?
I’m going to copy what one of the guys on GPL said. Not saying this is what will happen, but if I were in charge of the lines:
Moore-Lamb-Snuggerud
Nevers-Nelson-BB
Pitlick-Huglen-Kurth
Strobel-Clark-Mittelstadt

I think this gives you a potentially elite top line, a solid 2/3 when they are clicking, and a reliable 4th line with the occasional goal here and there. Guessing Bob will do a little more experimenting though.

I’m going to copy what one of the guys on GPL said. Not saying this is what will happen, but if I were in charge of the lines:
Moore-Lamb-Snuggerud
Nevers-Nelson-BB
Pitlick-Huglen-Kurth
Strobel-Clark-Mittelstadt

I think this gives you a potentially elite top line, a solid 2/3 when they are clicking, and a reliable 4th line with the occasional goal here and there. Guessing Bob will do a little more experimenting though.
I would actually flip Huglen and Lamb. I think Huglen's puck possession and playmaking could really benefit Snuggy, he needs to play with someone like that.

I would actually flip Huglen and Lamb. I think Huglen's puck possession and playmaking could really benefit Snuggy, he needs to play with someone like that.
I could see that argument. Certainly would be interesting to see. Huglen frustrates me because he will do things that make you think he has star potential, then he disappears for several games at a time.

I could see that argument. Certainly would be interesting to see. Huglen frustrates me because he will do things that make you think he has star potential, then he disappears for several games at a time.
Yes that's true, but at least when he disappears he is still solid defensively and away from the puck. But I know what you mean, he as the talent to create great chances every game.

Top Bottom