2023-24 Gopher Hockey Season

Not going to act like I’m happy about having to go to OT with an average at best team, but we looked bad against Lindenwood to open last year.

Once our fan base gets over the fact that we aren’t going to be the juggernaut we were last year, they’ll come to appreciate that we still have a damn good group of hockey players who can do a lot of damage this year.

I could complain about a lot of things in this game, but I’m going to post my positive takeaways.

Brody Lamb has taken a noticeable step forward.
Oliver Moore is instant offense every time he steps on the ice.
Pitlick created a lot of chances. Those will lead to goals if he keeps it up.
2 power play goals.
Despite giving up 5 goals I didn’t think Close gave up any softies.
Rinzel looks very composed for a freshman. He will be a star.
We were without our top D man and a top 6 forward.
We didn’t take dumb penalties.
We could have lost our composure after going down 2 but still looked poised out there.
We won

Not going to act like I’m happy about having to go to OT with an average at best team, but we looked bad against Lindenwood to open last year.

Once our fan base gets over the fact that we aren’t going to be the juggernaut we were last year, they’ll come to appreciate that we still have a damn good group of hockey players who can do a lot of damage this year.
Logan Cooley is irreplaceable so the team will definitely look different. Dude stole a game from the Devil's tonight with a no-look pass in the third period. Just has that next-level vision.

Logan Cooley is irreplaceable so the team will definitely look different. Dude stole a game from the Devil's tonight with a no-look pass in the third period. Just has that next-level vision.
That pass was sick

Sorry Bonin21, the Gophers ruined your night by winning in OT
Yes I am not terribly happy with 0.66 of a win in the most sweepable series they'll have for weeks.

Snuggerud and Lamb saved the team today.

But he made up for it
Arguably. I’m not a huge momentum guy but we were up 2-0 and controlling the play and things seemed a lot different after that goal. Can’t blame Jimmy if the whole team went flat after that though.

I wonder sometimes why some "fans" even bother cheering for this program. The amount of anger and hate it generates for those people every time the Gophers don't win 15-0 must be enormous. It's one thing to point out flaws in the team, and suggest ways to improve them, but to always be down on the team for every blown PP, or not getting every top recruit is ridiculous. This team is not going to go 32-0, nor will it be as exciting as last years team. Take a deep breath, enjoy the ride and watch this team grow through the year. ( or not ). BTW, the so called top team in the NCAA with the best roster ever, Boston U, lost last night to New Hampshire, a team that was 11-21-1 last year. So BU's season is clearly over as well....

I wonder sometimes why some "fans" even bother cheering for this program. The amount of anger and hate it generates for those people every time the Gophers don't win 15-0 must be enormous. It's one thing to point out flaws in the team, and suggest ways to improve them, but to always be down on the team for every blown PP, or not getting every top recruit is ridiculous. This team is not going to go 32-0, nor will it be as exciting as last years team. Take a deep breath, enjoy the ride and watch this team grow through the year. ( or not ). BTW, the so called top team in the NCAA with the best roster ever, Boston U, lost last night to New Hampshire, a team that was 11-21-1 last year. So BU's season is clearly over as well....
He’s miserable and needs an outlet so he comes online. It’s stupid, yeah no shit we aren’t going to be last year’s team, one of the best in gopher history. We’re still a contender.

You are spot on. Hockey is not a sport where you will win every game, and every freaking shift will go your way. You won't (and can't) get very five star recruit. I would have liked to have seen us control this game from start to finish but I am happy that we pulled it out. I just do not get the focus on the negativity. We only got ".66 of a PW win"? What a way to live your life.

He’s miserable and needs an outlet so he comes online. It’s stupid, yeah no shit we aren’t going to be last year’s team, one of the best in gopher history. We’re still a contender.
Indeed. I saw enough to know that this will be a very good team. Will we be in St. Paul? I hope so but we will have to grow throughout the season (we always do). I am hoping we can win tonight and I will be very pleased if we do. Let's enjoy the fact that college hockey season has started and our team is 1-0. Beat UST.

St Thomas is improved. They looked the part. They beat top-10 St Cloud earlier this season. Gophers came through for the win.

I'm in the oust the Gophers coach camp, after the championship game coaching blunders last season.

My two cents.

I wonder sometimes why some "fans" even bother cheering for this program. The amount of anger and hate it generates for those people every time the Gophers don't win 15-0 must be enormous. It's one thing to point out flaws in the team, and suggest ways to improve them, but to always be down on the team for every blown PP, or not getting every top recruit is ridiculous. This team is not going to go 32-0, nor will it be as exciting as last years team. Take a deep breath, enjoy the ride and watch this team grow through the year. ( or not ). BTW, the so called top team in the NCAA with the best roster ever, Boston U, lost last night to New Hampshire, a team that was 11-21-1 last year. So BU's season is clearly over as well...
BU needs to go D3 or shut the whole thing down. The players should be arrested.

You are spot on. Hockey is not a sport where you will win every game, and every freaking shift will go your way. You won't (and can't) get very five star recruit. I would have liked to have seen us control this game from start to finish but I am happy that we pulled it out. I just do not get the focus on the negativity. We only got ".66 of a PW win"? What a way to live your life.
66% of the time it works every time.

Gophers 1 St.Thomas 0 at the end of the first period.

Gophers 3 St.Thomas 0

Had the sound off so don't know if the announcers said whether or not the Gophers deserved to win.

Last edited:

Chesley is hurt now too. Yikes.

Split at UND will be a minor miracle.

If they get swept I know you won't admit I was right. I predicted a split before and now my prediction is sweep without Chesley. Make your prediction.

If they get swept I know you won't admit I was right. I predicted a split before and now my prediction is sweep without Chesley. Make your prediction.
I won't "admit you were right?" Sure I would but that isn't the point. My point is that your outlook is very negative in general. We might indeed get swept, but it won't be a "minor miracle" if we split. Won't even be a minor miracle if we sweep. I'd be surprised if we did, admittedly. I will predict a split. If it happens, it doesn't make me any smarter than anyone else. If it doesn't, it doesn't make me any dumber.

BTW, you post about every top recruit who goes anywhere other than the U. We just got a huge one, and it's crickets from you. I really do think you enjoy spreading negativity around this program, and I am not sure why.

Top Bottom