2023-2024 College Basketball Other Games Thread

He still has a cabin on Side Lake, outside of Hibbing for the summer and his primary residence is in the south IIRC.

Most people like to be invited to be involved.

How do we know he’s been invited? Or is that just an assumption?
I can't say for sure but they have an alumni weekend every year so I'm going to guess he's on that invitation list.

I can't say for sure but they have an alumni weekend every year so I'm going to guess he's on that invitation list.
During basketball season?
My comment regarding being invited was of course, in the context of being at a basketball game (ala Nebby)/involved with the team.

Hamline’s alumni weekend coincides with Homecoming, as do many colleges IIRC.

Assuming it’s in the fall, which makes the most sense, how do you specifically know if he has or hasn’t attended?

Why is such a seemingly benign thing that important? 🤦‍♂️

Why are you comparing 🍎 & 🍊?

Last edited:

During basketball season?
My comment regarding being invited was of course, in the context of being at a basketball game (ala Nebby)/involved with the team.

Hamline’s alumni weekend coincides with Homecoming, as do many colleges IIRC.

Assuming it’s in the fall, which makes the most sense, how do you specifically know if he has or hasn’t attended?

Why is such a seemingly benign thing that important? 🤦‍♂️

Why are you comparing 🍎 & 🍊?
You assumed too much. Yes during basketball season. It's specific to the men's basketball team. Lots of guys come back. It coincides with a home game. They did this year's about a month ago and it looks like 52 guys were there for it. See pictures of the alumni and team just about every year.

So almost certain he's McHale has been invited back.

You assumed too much. Yes during basketball season. It's specific to the men's basketball team. Lots of guys come back. It coincides with a home game. They did this year's about a month ago and it looks like 52 guys were there for it. See pictures of the alumni and team just about every year.

So almost certain he's McHale has been invited back.

I was wrong and stand corrected - thank you.

Mountain West leader is Utah State. They are on the road tonight at San Jose State. 3 teams trail the Aggies by half a game.
Side note: Miles went from 1-17 to 10-8 last year in league play. Named conference Coach of the Year. This year is 2-15. Too lazy to look into the roster changes. (Or not able to multi-task.)

Remind me who we want to win the NW MSU game.
We need Michigan State to beat Northwestern, but lose to Indiana. We also need Wisconsin to lose out and Illinois to beat Iowa. So if we win out, that would give us a double bye

Why? Rancor is overrated😃.

Applying Occam’s Razor would lead to a conclusion that they probably became friends when they were together with the Wolves; Kevin may have coached Fred or they worked together after. Fred transitioned to the front office, that seems the likely point of intersection.

Fred probably asked Kevin as a friend to come to the game, speak to the team, as he’s looking for any edge to get into the tournament and Kevin obliged.

As you get older, your social circle shrinks, so friendships become more valuable and you do things for friends to maintain them.

Example - I go to the Belmont Stakes every year with a friend and he sends me copious amounts of horse racing information which I don’t have much interest in - I’m causal and he’s more into it. Dutifully, I peruse most of it and thank him for the efforts - that helps strengthen our friendship, which is of extreme importance to me.

Has he been asked to participate by someone at the U?

He’s 66 years old, so going places without a specific purpose isn’t part if the deal at that chapter of your life, it’s an event in and of itself. I’m a few candles short of 60 and starting to grasp the concept myself.
Here is the video of Kevin talking to the team at Fred’s request.

https://x.com/huskermbb/status/1764472140382826909?s=46

We need Michigan State to beat Northwestern, but lose to Indiana. We also need Wisconsin to lose out and Illinois to beat Iowa. So if we win out, that would give us a double bye

I don't think I want a double bye because that's the least likely way to get two wins in the conference tournament. I think I like 5th place. That gives us a game against a Wednesday winner and a second game against the 4th place team. I don't have much faith in winning a semi-final game against either Purdue or Illinois.

Pitino likely didn’t invite him, based on his reported callous attitude towards MN HS coaches.

It doesn’t mean he won’t be invited in the future, especially as the foundations of Ben’s program settle in; likely this wouldn’t have been on anyone’s radar, unless Fred mentioned it - so honestly it seems like provincial MInnesotaism to someone who hasn’t lived there in 25 years.

Lol what? All you do is make stuff up on here all day every day.

Go Gophers!!
I would have to say, whoever is hired there, they should go Deon Sanders on that roster and tell everyone of those players, you are no longer welcome here at Pacific. They W/O question quit last night.

Thiam having a great game today. Has come along way in 2 years. Could have provided some nice depth in place of Ihnen, Betts, JOJ and Keinys who don't even see the court now.

Thiam having a great game today. Has come along way in 2 years. Could have provided some nice depth in place of Ihnen, Betts, JOJ and Keinys who don't even see the court now.
There's no guarantee he would develop like he has at High Point where he can play big minutes too though. Seems like it was the right move for him.

There's no guarantee he would develop like he has at High Point where he can play big minutes too though. Seems like it was the right move for him.

I mean there is a decent chance their coach is better than ours so you may be correct about developing. He would have been better than Samuels and Henley last year. I'd say Carrington is a better defender, but Thiam provides more scoring. And although High Point is a low major school, they are actually a decent team(107 in NET entering today)

Did Pepperdine beat the spread?😂

Seriously, although I don’t bet, I think betting on college games at this time of year would be a fool’s errand. Can’t tell who is still playing hard and who is counting the days until it’s over.

Great time of year to crush unders. Teams in conference tournaments (as well as the NCAA/NIT) tend to tighten up their play.....seeing as how these games could be their last of the year. Definitely more effort tends to get exerted on defense.

Top Bottom