2023-2024 College Basketball Other Games Thread

I'm excited for the Christie-Mgbako matchup here. Mgbako has been coming on to make a case as one of the top 3 freshmen in the league with Cam and Owen Freeman, and unlike when either the Gophers or IU play Iowa, Cam and Mgbako are probably going to match up directly with each other quite a bit.
For sure - That kid looked good today

Not sure if this is the place but Freddie in his press conference said Kevin McHale was at Nebraska game today. Should I be torqued off that we haven’t seen him in a generation at the Barn? I think I should and I am. Get your butt home, Hibbing.

Did someone at the U pee in his cornflakes?
I'd boo him off the stage if he made an appearance here.

It's hard to say exactly why he turned his back on us. It might be because of that space-lizard Glen Taylor...who knows?

Another victim, this daka$$.

Your low expectations have put this program decades behind. Make more excuses. It's all you have.
No excuses needed, dipshiit. This team has far exceeded anyone's hopes for this year. Great job of finding new players and great job of coaching.

No excuses needed, dipshiit. This team has far exceeded anyone's hopes for this year. Great job of finding new players and great job of coaching.
Not anyone. Just low expectation excuse makers like yourself.

Not anyone. Just low expectation excuse makers like yourself.
Ben and his guys will just keep hauling out the trash. We'll see how many times you can dust off and come back. Fun stuff.

ESPN+ is great for one month a year. Lipscombs version of Jamison Battle hits a buzzer beater for North Alabama to knock off the ASUN 3 seed. Guy played three years for Lipscomb and transfers home and knocks off his own team. Exciting game.

Jacksonville knocked off top seed Eastern Kentucky in that ASUN tourney tonight too, which leaves Treyton Thompson's Stetson Hatters as the highest remaining seed. (ASUN reseeds every round, so they get Jacksonville on Thursday night.)

Depaul may be one of the five worst teams in the country.....I'm wondering what Henley was thinking and how much, if at all, he would have helped us this year.
People’s exhibit A that the portal isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be. One had to think he would have been more successful personally and team wise if he stayed. One could also speculate that Ben suggested he look for greener pastures. I have no sympathy for him.

Jacksonville knocked off top seed Eastern Kentucky in that ASUN tourney tonight too, which leaves Treyton Thompson's Stetson Hatters as the highest remaining seed. (ASUN reseeds every round, so they get Jacksonville on Thursday night.)
And no automatic bid to the NIT for Eastern Kentucky as the regular season champs either 🫤

Does anyone know where he lives?
He still has a cabin on Side Lake, outside of Hibbing for the summer and his primary residence is in the south IIRC.
Seems weird he's been so distant from the program.
Most people like to be invited to be involved.

How do we know he’s been invited? Or is that just an assumption?

Last edited:

Not sure if this is the place but Freddie in his press conference said Kevin McHale was at Nebraska game today. Should I be torqued off that we haven’t seen him in a generation at the Barn?
Why? Rancor is overrated😃.

Applying Occam’s Razor would lead to a conclusion that they probably became friends when they were together with the Wolves; Kevin may have coached Fred or they worked together after. Fred transitioned to the front office, that seems the likely point of intersection.

Fred probably asked Kevin as a friend to come to the game, speak to the team, as he’s looking for any edge to get into the tournament and Kevin obliged.

As you get older, your social circle shrinks, so friendships become more valuable and you do things for friends to maintain them.

Example - I go to the Belmont Stakes every year with a friend and he sends me copious amounts of horse racing information which I don’t have much interest in - I’m causal and he’s more into it. Dutifully, I peruse most of it and thank him for the efforts - that helps strengthen our friendship, which is of extreme importance to me.
I think I should and I am. Get your butt home, Hibbing.
Has he been asked to participate by someone at the U?

He’s 66 years old, so going places without a specific purpose isn’t part if the deal at that chapter of your life, it’s an event in and of itself. I’m a few candles short of 60 and starting to grasp the concept myself.
Did someone at the U pee in his cornflakes?

Last edited:

He still has a cabin on Side Lake, outside of Hibbing for the summer and his primary residence is in the south IIRC.

Most people like to be invited to be involved.

How do we know he’s been invited? Or is that just an assumption?
If he hasn’t been invited, something is wrong somewhere. Yes, I’m assuming he has been invited but don’t know for a fact he has.

If he hasn’t been invited, something is wrong somewhere. Yes, I’m assuming he has been invited but don’t know for a fact he has.
Pitino likely didn’t invite him, based on his reported callous attitude towards MN HS coaches.

It doesn’t mean he won’t be invited in the future, especially as the foundations of Ben’s program settle in; likely this wouldn’t have been on anyone’s radar, unless Fred mentioned it - so honestly it seems like provincial MInnesotaism to someone who hasn’t lived there in 25 years.

Pitino likely didn’t invite him, based on his reported callous attitude towards MN HS coaches.

It doesn’t mean he won’t be invited in the future, especially as the foundations of Ben’s program settle in; likely this wouldn’t have been on anyone’s radar, unless Fred mentioned it - so honestly it seems like provincial MInnesotaism to someone who hasn’t lived there in 25 years.
That’s me. Provincial is my middle name!

Top Bottom