2023-2024 College Basketball Other Games Thread

Last night was bizarre.
Northwestern gets beat by Chi-St.
UNLV pummels Creighton.
Arkansas St beats Louisville

The world of college basketball is spinning.

By the way, the Marquette v Tommies game is on FS1 tonight at 7pm. The line shows a 24.5 spread in Marquette's favor. Will the upset trend continue tonight for this Wisconsin teams?

And yet, if Gophers lost to a Chicago State, people would be calling for firings

Last night was bizarre.
Northwestern gets beat by Chi-St.
UNLV pummels Creighton.
Arkansas St beats Louisville

The world of college basketball is spinning.

By the way, the Marquette v Tommies game is on FS1 tonight at 7pm. The line shows a 24.5 spread in Marquette's favor. Will the upset trend continue tonight for this Wisconsin teams?
How do you beat Purdue and then lose to Chicago State?

Go Shaka! Crush them.

I don't think that's the only reason. His coach said publicly that he needs to develop.

Think most of us realized that he needed to bulk up in order to play high end D1 basketball. A lot of power forwards and centers need a year or two unless they have freakish skill like Chet or already have Payne type strength. He's still got tremendous potential.

Chicago State inexplicably defeated the Cats. NU can’t handle success.

Two bizarre pieces trivia. First win ever State over Northwestern. Even more bizarre is that Northwestern has NEVER won a game as a ranked team in Welsh-Ryan.
They'll be fine. They are probably the worst school to coach at yet they have made the NCAA Tournament twice under collins.

Downright amazing job by Tauer retooling this year after the loss of Rohde. Way less talent than the Gophers have, but I'm not sure the Gophs could've given Marquette a game like the Tommies just did.

Last edited:

Downright amazing job by Tauer retooling this year after the loss of Blue. Way less talent than the Gophers have, but I'm not sure the Gophs could've given Marquette a game like the Tommies just did.

This sounds like moral victory to me, which is supposed to be unacceptable. Maybe they should advertise their transitive win over Northwestern.

They kept it close. But we can’t lose sight of the fact that UST is Marquettes Ball State. I’m not crowning anything at St. Thomas just yet. Warriors were on cruise control and that had as much to do with the tightness of the game than anything St. Thomas did.

If something similar happened to the Gophers, we would not be singing the praises of the opponent, we would be chastising the team and the coach for being terrible or not prepared.

Humanity is fickle. Sports fans are an even more fickle subset.

Downright amazing job by Tauer retooling this year after the loss of Blue. Way less talent than the Gophers have, but I'm not sure the Gophs could've given Marquette a game like the Tommies just did.

Rohde, not Blue.

But point taken!

This sounds like moral victory to me, which is supposed to be unacceptable. Maybe they should advertise their transitive win over Northwestern.

They kept it close. But we can’t lose sight of the fact that UST is Marquettes Ball State. I’m not crowning anything at St. Thomas just yet. Warriors were on cruise control and that had as much to do with the tightness of the game than anything St. Thomas did.

If something similar happened to the Gophers, we would not be singing the praises of the opponent, we would be chastising the team and the coach for being terrible or not prepared.

As you can see with my name I'm also a Marquette guy so I watched the whole game.

Yes, it was a typical finals week before BE play go through the motions game for MU. Yes, Stevie mitchell was out as the best on ball defender and it messed up rotations. And yes, even when St Thomas cut it 1 after a barrage of 3s it never felt like they would win cause they couldnt Oso. Having said that, they were very impressive in how they were coached and their experience.

They hit some absolute bombs during 2 second half runs. Maybe a little lucky. But their 5 out ball moving offense was pretty. They run a successful high D1 type offense(similar to MU) in that they either take open 3s or high end lay ups. Nothing else.

Kolek was unusually mentally off kilter. Usually hes fiery but in control. Last night he was yelling at guys for mistakes and even tossed a ball towards Joplin off a bad TO. And jawing with ST bench.

Jauer and St Thomas get a lot of credit too. It may have been a off day/overlook game. But they kept swinging. Look at what MU did to ND last weekend. They basically had a 2nd half of glorified practice they beat them so bad. Thats a ACC team. Tommies have potential.

Downright amazing job by Tauer retooling this year after the loss of Rohde. Way less talent than the Gophers have, but I'm not sure the Gophs could've given Marquette a game like the Tommies just did.

Everytime I thought the blowout was about to start....St Thomas strung together some shots and stops. Got to give them credit....they played really well.

Marquette was on anything but cruise control. They needed to give it all they had to win. Shaka was MICed up in the huddle and sounded like a raving lunatic. How can this guy be a great coach?

Pitino and New Mexico down 3 to NMSU late. On CBS Sports Network.

New Mexico pulls it off. Now 10-1.

Sick move and layup here.

BIG games today
Penn State takes on Georgia Tech in MSG
Indiana hosts Kansas
Rutgers hosts Long Island
Michigan State plays Baylor in Detroit
Michigan at home against E Michigan
Ohio State plays UCLA in Atlanta
Purdue plays Arizona in Indianapolis
Iowa against Florida A&M in Des Moines
Northwestern at DePaul

BIG games today
Indiana hosts Kansas
Northwestern at DePaul

Last day for the B1G to regain some credibility in the OOC. Someone besides Purdue has to step up. IU, MSU, and OSU winning would be big for the league.

BIG games today
Indiana hosts Kansas
Northwestern at DePaul
What’s with all the local neutral site games? I can see Purdue and Arizona and a couples of other high profile games, why does Iowa need to go to Des Moines to play? Are they in a dry run for post season?

What’s with all the local neutral site games? I can see Purdue and Arizona and a couples of other high profile games, why does Iowa need to go to Des Moines to play? Are they in a dry run for post season?
I noticed this, too. My theory is that at least part of it is competition for loyalty vs. their in-state rival in their state's biggest metro (Michigan, Iowa St., and Indiana today - Arizona has a game in Phoenix nest week, sticking it in the eye of the Sun Devils).

BIG games today
Indiana hosts Kansas
Northwestern at DePaul
I would much rather watch KU vs IU than Purple Pride. Both are showing to be on CBS at the same time.

Gophers next opponent is in action today as Ball State (8-2) takes on Indiana State (9-1) in Indianapolis as part of the Indy Classic that also involves the Purdue-Kansas game.

I would much rather watch KU vs IU than Purple Pride. Both are showing to be on CBS at the same time.

It's weird. I'd think that the NFL game would be nationally televised. Due to being on CBS....it seems to be blacked out here. The CBS Sports app tells me that the game isn't available with my cable package.

Edit: The NFL games are all on the NFL Network. It's being televised locally on CBS for those without cable (or streaming). Oh well.

Penn State down to the wire with Georgia Tech. Press is rattling Tech.

OT. Terrible possession by the Nits to close regulation.

Last edited:

Top Bottom