2023-2024 College Basketball Other Games Thread

Missouri loses at home to Memphis by 15. There's a good chance we are favored against them when the line comes out.

Missouri loses at home to Memphis by 15. There's a good chance we are favored against them when the line comes out.
Missouri was up 29-15 with about 5 minutes left in the 1st half. Was outscored 55-26 the rest of the way.

Dang, that point guard for Colorado State, Stevens, is a really good player. 9 of 10 on shooting and 14 assists in the Rams win over Wright State.

Long Beach State up 67-61 vs. DePaul.

Henley - 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 0-3 shooting, 0-0 from the line, 3 turnovers.

For the season: 5.5 ppg, 33.3% from the field, 33.3% from 3, 50& from the FT line, 4 TO's per game. Didn't think it was possible to be worse than he was last year, but he has been.

For the season: 5.5 ppg, 33.3% from the field, 33.3% from 3, 50& from the FT line, 4 TO's per game. Didn't think it was possible to be worse than he was last year, but he has been.
I was disappointed when he transferred but played out of control in the first half then sat most of the second pouting with his head down last night.

I saw the game last night. Henley looked like he did at the start of the year with us last year... a little lost.

Looks like a few BIG teams scheduled for today.
Bryant @ Rutgers
Maryland vs UAB (Asheville)
Army @ Indiana

Typically I watch other Big Ten teams in nonconference for two reasons:

1) To check out the competition; and
2) To see if they might lose.

Don't see a lot of potential for the latter in these three games. Maryland v. UAB might be interesting. Maryland had a not particularly impressive win against Mt. Saint Marys and an undoubtedly humiliating loss at the hands of Davidson. Maryland lost one of their best players to the portal (he's a Philly guy who transferred to Villanova) and a couple of other significant players ran out of eligibility. Julian Reese, Jahmir Young, and a freshman appear to be playing well so far but Donta Scott and most others on the roster are not. UAB is 0-2 so far but one of those was a two -point overtime loss to Bradley and the other was a one-point loss to Clemson.

After suffering two 30+ point losses and about a 16 point defeat to Maryland last season, this is the conference team that I would most like to see stumble.

Long Beach State up 67-61 vs. DePaul.

Henley - 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 0-3 shooting, 0-0 from the line, 3 turnovers.
I was bummed when he transferred. Not because he was some irreplaceable talent but because he played way more minutes than he deserved, took a lot of lumps, and I thought he could evolve as a sophomore from that experience.

He had awful body language at times last year, and by February, we all knew he would eventually leave the program, as his AAU coach made some public comments about his lack of playing time mid-season.

Ironically, he transferred to a garbage program that's 0-2 and has already lost two 'buy' games. While he starts for Depaul, he only played 10 minutes in the last game.

I feel bad for Jaden. He got way more run than he deserved last year, yet he felt slighted. I'd venture a guess it plays out similarly at DePaul as it did here, except the coach has more leverage as Jaden has burned his free transfer.

I think he would have had a role on this year's team, albeit diminished. I thought he did some really good things last year when he buckled down defensively and stopped trying to force the issue on offense.

He could have developed into a solid player as an upperclassman, as he has some physical tools that are incredibly rare. I hope it works out for him.

Random unrelated fact: Tre' Williams is still playing college hoops for Tulane

Typically I watch other Big Ten teams in nonconference for two reasons:

1) To check out the competition; and
2) To see if they might lose.

Don't see a lot of potential for the latter in these three games. Maryland v. UAB might be interesting. Maryland had a not particularly impressive win against Mt. Saint Marys and an undoubtedly humiliating loss at the hands of Davidson. Maryland lost one of their best players to the portal (he's a Philly guy who transferred to Villanova) and a couple of other significant players ran out of eligibility. Julian Reese, Jahmir Young, and a freshman appear to be playing well so far but Donta Scott and most others on the roster are not. UAB is 0-2 so far but one of those was a two -point overtime loss to Bradley and the other was a one-point loss to Clemson.

After suffering two 30+ point losses and about a 16 point defeat to Maryland last season, this is the conference team that I would most like to see stumble.
How about Iowa againCreighton on Tuesday. I see they are rated #8.

MD loses to UAB. B1G now 1-5 against KenPom top 100 teams(NW beat Dayton). League off to a terrible start. Gavitt Games huge for league.

St Mary's was cruising along tonight and then allowed Weber St to end the game on a 30-10 run to lose by 4. Big upset.

Also, Missouri hosts Southern Illinois-Edwardsville tonight
From mutigers.com site:

TARGETING 70 POINTS
• The magic number for Mizzou continues to be 70 points.
• Under Coach Gates, MU is a perfect 24-0 when scoring at least 70 points and have won its last 28 games overall when reaching the benchmark.
• On the opposite end, Mizzou is just 2-11 under Gates with 69 or fewer points – losing 28 of its last 30 games overall.
• The Tigers scored 101 points in their season-opening win but tallied 55 in defeat Friday.

SHOOTING TOUCH
• Another trend continuing from last season is the importance of the 3-point shot.
• Missouri is 25-3 when making at least 7 triples in a game, but just 1-8 with fewer.
• In fact, the Tigers are shooting 15.7 percent better from 3-point range in wins under Gates.
• Missouri made 12-of-30 triples in its win (40.0) last week but just 6-of-30 (20.0) in its loss.

The Michigan/St. John's game is pretty fun and fast paced. Howard not on the bench tonight. Rick Pitino has a pretty good looking team.

Michigan's McDaniel is having a nice game. Just a touch bigger than the Gophers Hawkins. Both from D.C. Both from Catholic High Schools. So I would guess they've played against one another.

Michigan dominating St Johns on the road. I was hoping Michigan was going to be a bottom four team...somebody we might be able to beat after losing Hunter. Nope.
They got some votes in the Top 25 poll...probably in next one after dominating St Johns.

Iowa also doing better than I hoped.

Purdue is less than 2 minutes in and Edey is very visibly laboring to get up and down the court.
Gotta be nerves.

Top Bottom