2023-2024 College Basketball Other Games Thread

I haven't seen a P6 team playing in that tournament for some time. Just checking the tournament's history, I see that the last time was 2019 when both West Virginia and De Paul played in it. Prior to that, 2015, when Colorado participated, was the most recent time. The year prior to that (2014), three P6 teams (Penn State, Oregon State, and Texas A&M) played in it.
The Gopher align perfectly with the prior teams that have accepted invites. I think the Gopher, if the invite is extended, should gladly accept.
Another couple of weeks of practice to get ready for being a top 25 team next year!!!!

Oakland, who used to be in the Summit League, just won the Horizon League championship. Their top player, Trey Townsend, is very good and looks like he has the optional year left. He will get a lot of offers if he hits the portal.

Stony Brook & College of Charleston going into OT for the CAA Championship on CBS Sports Network.

I managed to stay awake for the Saint Mary's win over Gonzaga last night. Tough, low-scoring game. Gonzaga for sure doesn't look quite like the teams of past seasons, but still solid. Saint Mary's has the scoring guard Mahaney and enough other pieces to be a tough out in the tourney. I guess that could be said about a lot of teams this time of year. So much is about matchups and who gets hot.

I managed to stay awake for the Saint Mary's win over Gonzaga last night. Tough, low-scoring game. Gonzaga for sure doesn't look quite like the teams of past seasons, but still solid. Saint Mary's has the scoring guard Mahaney and enough other pieces to be a tough out in the tourney. I guess that could be said about a lot of teams this time of year. So much is about matchups and who gets hot.
The brackets are going to be crazy this year.

The brackets are going to be crazy this year.
It's one reason I don't really get too caught up in this or that conference underperformed. Sure it's interesting fodder if you get to Sweet 16 or even Elite 8, and a conference with 6 or 7 teams didn't have a single team advance. But there aren't many pushovers in this tourney. I'm guessing less than half-dozen teams have little chance to win at least one game. So I don't see an FAU (or similar) beating a Purdue or Houston, out of the question or an embarrassment. Houston though, man that's a formidable defense, so I wish any team facing them good luck.

It's still the best annual Thursday-Sunday in sports for me for the nail biters alone.

Wake has a fun team, with two good guards and a two bigs, like Payne (power) & Garcia (silky 4)
Hunter Sallis was a big pickup for them. Gonzaga is used to being the recipient of select plug &play transfers. And this time it flipped the other way.

What an interestingly specific reference.
Are you a denizen of Gotham as well?

No, but I grew up in the east (PA) and visited NYC plenty of times as a kid and when I was college aged. I visited a friend who relocated to Staten Island once in the late eighties and spent a couple of days there. On the whole, I was kind of surprised by the place (in a reasonably good way). I drove all around the island and I was struck by the variation in landscapes at that time (from urban type neighborhoods near the ferry station, to suburban type neighborhoods further inland, and finally to areas that actually were rural in appearance). I did find out at that time that the island was kind of the butt of jokes in part because of being the area's biggest dumping site.

Hunter Sallis was a big pickup for them. Gonzaga is used to being the recipient of select plug &play transfers. And this time it flipped the other way.
Sallis is fun to watch.

The best part of this time of year, besides Cinderalla Runs & close games, is getting to see players you normally wouldn’t; it’s mind boggling how many good players there are.

Last edited:

No, but I grew up in the east (PA) and visited NYC plenty of times as a kid and when I was college aged. I visited a friend who relocated to Staten Island once in the late eighties and spent a couple of days there. On the whole, I was kind of surprised by the place (in a reasonably good way). I drove all around the island and I was struck by the variation in landscapes at that time (from urban type neighborhoods near the ferry station, to suburban type neighborhoods further inland, and finally to areas that actually were rural in appearance). I did find out at that time that the island was kind of the butt of jokes in part because of being the area's biggest dumping site.
Thanks, yes it gets a bad rap.

My favorite, is that twice since I’ve lived here (I moved here in 1998) they have voted to secede from NYC; unfortunately, they whiffed both times🤓

My favorite, is that twice since I’ve lived here (I moved here in 1998) they have voted to secede from NYC; unfortunately, they whiffed both times🤓

I didn't know the island tried that. Doesn't surprise me, though. Staten Island is the only significantly populated Republican area in NYC. Staten Island traditionally has been heavily Italian American. I'm not sure a lot of people today realize this but many of the Italian Americans in NYC and the outlying areas are ancestrally Republican. They were later immigrants and, by the time they arrived, the Democratic machines were heavily controlled by the Irish who I'm guessing may not have been particularly welcoming to them. The Republicans also had their own political machines and recruited Italians to get their own new voters from the immigrant populations.

Top Bottom