2023-2024 College Basketball Coaches Hired/Fired Thread

I assume it's all about $$$. That said, Vandy is a tough job.
I realize the cash angle, but how much is enough? One contract at a high major puts most people in a place where they would not need to work for the rest of their lives. Keeping a lower level job at a healthy if not outlandish salary, is a comfortable life financially, which I think is pretty attractive for a lot of coaches. The guy at Drake will be hotly pursued and has been but stays at the lower level without chasing the money. All the bucks in the power whatever don't assure slam dunk hires for the lower level programs like ours.

I assume it's all about $$$. That said, Vandy is a tough job.
They had a good coach, Bryce Drew. Had the one bad season when four starters were lost for the season, but recruiting was on the upswing. His firing was due to the new AD that lasted a year that fell for the bright lights of Stackhouse. Knew that this exercise would fail and Penny, hired at the same time would land Memphis on probation.

Pepperdine chimes in:

Lorenzo Romar is out as Pepperdine coach after six years when the Waves' season ends.

The ninth-seeded Waves (12-19) play No. 8 seed Pacific (6-25) in the first round of the West Coast Conference Tournament on Thursday in Las Vegas. The Tigers' coach, Leonard Perry, was reassigned to other duties at the university on Monday. Associate head coach Josh Newman will coach Pacific in the tournament.

The university said Tuesday that a search for Romar's replacement is underway.

"Pepperdine benefited tremendously from Lorenzo Romar's leadership, both on and off the court, and we owe a debt of gratitude to him for the way he loved his players, our basketball program, and the university," said Tim Perrin, senior vice president for strategic implementation.

Romar is 117-56 in nine seasons overall in Malibu. He previously coached three seasons at Pepperdine before leaving to take the head job at Saint Louis.

Go Gophers!!

Houston Christian chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Pacific chimes in:

The University of the Pacific has fired men’s basketball coach Leonard Perry, the school announced Monday morning.

Perry was in his third season with the program. The Tigers are 6–25 overall this season and 0–16 in West Coast Conference play.

Go Gophers!!

Looks like Pacific and Pepperdine will face off with no head coach

So, SIU goes 23–10 and 19-13 (despite losing its two best players to the portal) the last two years and ends up firing their head coach (a school legend, no less). So THAT'S what expectations for a program are. Interesting.

So, SIU goes 23–10 and 19-13 (despite losing its two best players to the portal) the last two years and ends up firing their head coach (a school legend, no less). So THAT'S what expectations for a program are. Interesting.

Friend of mine who is an Illini guy were talking about this..who do they think they can get who is going to better? The MVC and MAC are now farm teams with the portal and NIL.

Look at all those mid-majors where CBJ could become an assistant…which would lower the total buyout to the U. The possibilities are juicy right now!

O

I have friends whose kids went to high school with Moser’s. They were devastated to leave Chicago, and, being an ardent Catholic, I’m sure getting back to a small Jesuit school would fit him better than Oklahoma. It’ll be fascinating to see if this really happens.
Pretty amazing if DePaul can poach the coach from Oklahoma but we can't do any better than what we have now.

Rumor is they may be looking to get Sprinkled.

Seattle Times article (03/09/2024) on 6 possible replacements for Hopkins at UW. It's a long article, also cited was Hopkins making $3.1 million this year. Casmir Chavis saying that UW's Big Ten affiliation as a reason to sign with the Huskies. And last week UW started construction on a $60 million basketball-only practice facility, due open in 2025.

Randy Bennett, Saint Mary’s

Almost every time there’s a coaching vacancy with a West Coast Power Five team, his name is thrown in the mix. Last year, he reportedly rebuffed overtures from California. During his 23-year tenure at Saint Mary’s, Bennett has built a basketball powerhouse and the Gaels (24-7) are poised to make their 10th appearance in the NCAA tournament in the past 20 years.

Darian DeVries, Drake

The 48-year-old DeVries has never won fewer than 20 games in a season during his six years with the Bulldogs. This season, Drake is 26-6 and on the verge of its third NCAA tournament under DeVries. Son Tucker, a 6-foot-7 junior guard, is the two-time Missouri Valley Conference player of the year.

Dusty May, Florida Atlantic

Arguably the hottest name among mid-major coaches, who is reportedly one of the top two candidates for the Ohio State job along with Xavier’s Sean Miller. May is 124-67 over six seasons at Florida Atlantic and surprisingly he returned to the Owls for this year after guiding them to a 35-win season and the Final Four.

Niko Medved, Colorado State

Much like May, Medved has been a rising star among mid-major coaches since guiding the Rams to four 20-win seasons in the past five years. However, since making his only trip to the NCAA tournament in 2022, the Ram have finished eighth and seventh in the Mountain West.

Kyle Smith, Washington State

Smith is beloved in Pullman after guiding the Cougars to a 23-8 record, second-place Pac-12 finish and an expected NCAA tournament appearance, which would snap their 16-year postseason drought. But Washington would be foolish not to explore his interest. Besides, the last coach who left WSU for UW turned out pretty good for the Huskies: the legendary Marv Harshman.

Danny Sprinkle, Utah State

Several college basketball pundits believe it’s his job if he wants it. Sprinkle led Montana State to consecutive NCAA tournament appearances and during his first year at Utah State, the 22nd-ranked Aggies are 22-5 and headed to the Big Dance. Sprinkle is a Pullman native whose father played football at UW.

Percy Allen: [email protected]; Seattle Times staff reporter Percy Allen

O

I have friends whose kids went to high school with Moser’s. They were devastated to leave Chicago, and, being an ardent Catholic, I’m sure getting back to a small Jesuit school would fit him better than Oklahoma. It’ll be fascinating to see if this really happens.
Since DePaul isn’t Jesuit, it’s probably not a high risk he’ll go there then. I don’t know the guy at all, but DePaul would surprise me unless the first priority by a wide margin is getting back to Chicago. If culture is important, I can see him going to Xavier when Sean Miller gets nabbed by a bigger job, which could be soon. Michigan? Miller has a proven record of managing a payroll. Perfect fit in this era.

Since DePaul isn’t Jesuit, it’s probably not a high risk he’ll go there then. I don’t know the guy at all, but DePaul would surprise me unless the first priority by a wide margin is getting back to Chicago. If culture is important, I can see him going to Xavier when Sean Miller gets nabbed by a bigger job, which could be soon. Michigan? Miller has a proven record of managing a payroll. Perfect fit in this era.
My bad. I’ve always thought that DePaul was a Jesuit school. I’ll amend my statement to Moser wanting to come back to a small Catholic school.

Name 3 Vincentian Universities in the United States
Extra credit for identifying the first one. (Hints, Calvin Murphy, George Mikan, Chris Mullin)

Would think that DePaul would produce more wins. Hard to believe.

Last edited:

Top Bottom