2022 will be Northwestern’s “final” season at Ryan Field

Amazing how much northwestern is swimming in the money to do their practice facility and stadium in such a short time.
Wait a minute…Minnesota did it in just 11 years

Yeah, I saw that the other day and forgot to post. Super interesting they announced it in such a casual way in a season ticket holder message. Were there plans in the works I just wasn't aware of? Seems like it was breaking news this week, thouhg...

Yeah, I saw that the other day and forgot to post. Super interesting they announced it in such a casual way in a season ticket holder message. Were there plans in the works I just wasn't aware of? Seems like it was breaking news this week, thouhg...
No, some NU alums told me about the rebuild at their game this season.

Looking through all this, and in reflection and retrospect, it struck me that it made our having to play off-campus, through our too-long tenure at the Metrodome, seem so absurd and awful.

Rather than dwell in fruitless bitterness over that tragedy, I am filled with gratitude that we’ve enjoyed our new on-campus home for over a decade now. And, with contented anticipation - barring some black swan event or me breaking a longevity record - I know I’ll be watching games there for the rest of my days!

could be worse. I covered a HS football team whose home field was next to a river. One year, the river had a record flood, putting the FB field under a foot of water. by the time the water receded, all the grass was dead and there was significant erosion.

so, while the field was being repaired, the team played no home games for the next season. I think it wound up with 5 road games and 3 neutral-site games at other out-of-town fields. it was a long year.......

Attendance in college football has been declining for quite a while now. Almost every game is on TV and streaming of games is mainstream now. It makes seems to have a smaller capacity with better perks to get the stadium filled up.

It seems to me the Field will be renovated but they’re also renovating the stadium but do not reference it. Maybe the field itself will be renamed following the renovation.

It’s about time. Love going to games there but the stadium is like a D3 experience.

It seems to me the Field will be renovated but they’re also renovating the stadium but do not reference it. Maybe the field itself will be renamed following the renovation.

It’s about time. Love going to games there but the stadium is like a D3 experience.
The field might be renamed, but the Ryan name will be used somewhere as the family is donating $480 million to Northwestern’s current fund raiser. The Ryan Family gift will be used to advance biomedical, economics and business research, and redevelop Ryan Field.

Soldier field would seem like most logical place for them while they redo Ryan.
It’s the only spot that’s realistic, although I was amused that the writer included Evanston Township High School as an option. Not much different than where they play now.

Honestly nothing would surprise me. Now that I think of it, soldier field is also used by the Chicago fire soccer team. That could make for some scheduling issues between the bear and fire

That makes sense. Naming rights might not be a sure thing or not finalized.

It’s the only spot that’s realistic, although I was amused that the writer included Evanston Township High School as an option. Not much different than where they play now.

I don't know about that. The Chargers played in an MLS stadium for a couple years. I'm pretty sure a 20,000 seat stadium would work for Northwestern.

I don't know about that. The Chargers played in an MLS stadium for a couple years. I'm pretty sure a 20,000 seat stadium would work for Northwestern.
The MLS team plays in Soldier Field too. Wrigley may be an option but it’s a long shot. Otherwise there aren’t any other stadiums remotely close to Evanston.

The MLS team plays in Soldier Field too. Wrigley may be an option but it’s a long shot. Otherwise there aren’t any other stadiums remotely close to Evanston.

Ah weird. I must have misread their list earlier. I could have sworn it mentioned an MLS stadium.

I guess I was referring to Seat Geek Stadium?

Ah weird. I must have misread their list earlier. I could have sworn it mentioned an MLS stadium.

I guess I was referring to Seat Geek Stadium?
That’s the Fire’s former stadium in Bridgeport, which, at 33 miles from Evanston, would be like the Gophers playing in Albertville.

This made news during the season, and was posted on this very website.

The Bears are leaving Chicago, so Soldier Field will be looking for tenants.

So Ryan Field is currently the smallest stadium in the B1G. And now they want to make it more intimate? That translates to even further cuts to seating capacity. Is Washington State’s title of having the power 5’s smallest stadium in jeopardy?

So Ryan Field is currently the smallest stadium in the B1G. And now they want to make it more intimate? That translates to even further cuts to seating capacity. Is Washington State’s title of having the power 5’s smallest stadium in jeopardy?
Isn't Wake Forest's stadium in the 30k range?

EDIT: yes, 31.5k. Also Duke's stadium was only 33k until 2015, and now is at 40k

The Ryan family is donating $480 million to NW towards the new stadium and athletic complex. I thought I saw some renderings posted here before of the new athletic facility overlooking Lake Michigan with fantastic vistas.

Ryan Field… AT… Ryan Stadium…Presented by The Ryan Family.
It's also right next to the Wildcat's basketball facility Welsh Ryan Arena.

Speaking of which, capacity is barely over 7000, probably looking at the football version of that.

Top Bottom