2022 will be Northwestern’s “final” season at Ryan Field

I wonder if NW is going the way of camp Randall and putting in luxury seating and making the actual experience a bigger draw vs declining attendance and lower ticket prices. Makes a ton of sense for a NW type school based on their alumni.

The Ryan family is donating $480 million to NW towards the new stadium and athletic complex. I thought I saw some renderings posted here before of the new athletic facility overlooking Lake Michigan with fantastic vistas.

It was completed in 2018. And wait for it.....it's named Ryan Fieldhouse. The gift for that is separate from the $480 mil they just gave to renovate Ryan Field. I don't know what the Ryans do for a living, but whatever I'm doing, I'm in the wrong business. The views and location are amazing. The rest of the complex isn't quite as nice as the Gophers (although I'm heavily biased), but you can't beat the setting. The two rubs against their new facility is that 1. it's too low to punt in, which was a requirement of the U's when designing their new facility, and 2. it's shared with all of athletics. You can argue (and justifiably) that football doesn't need it's own exclusive massive indoor practice facility, but that's the athletics world we live in.

https://www.insidenu.com/2018/4/7/1...gerald-jim-phillips-clayton-thorson-lakefront

https://nusports.com/facilities/ryan-fieldhouse/18

It was completed in 2018. And wait for it.....it's named Ryan Fieldhouse. The gift for that is separate from the $480 mil they just gave to renovate Ryan Field. I don't know what the Ryans do for a living, but whatever I'm doing, I'm in the wrong business. The views and location are amazing. The rest of the complex isn't quite as nice as the Gophers (although I'm heavily biased), but you can't beat the setting. The two rubs against their new facility is that 1. it's too low to punt in, which was a requirement of the U's when designing their new facility, and 2. it's shared with all of athletics. You can argue (and justifiably) that football doesn't need it's own exclusive massive indoor practice facility, but that's the athletics world we live in.

https://www.insidenu.com/2018/4/7/1...gerald-jim-phillips-clayton-thorson-lakefront

Thank you for the links and the clarification.

If true on point 1, that's just silly. I can't imagine the costs would've been that much more to move even just the area in the has marks up high enough for punting? Wonder if it was an architectural and/or FAA type of thing? Spitballin'

On point 2, here at the U don't we still have the "old" indoor facility still in the athlete's village that other sports and/or student rec can use? Student rec also has a bubble up that can be used for those things, to the east of TCF (sorry Huntington).

I wonder if NW is going the way of camp Randall and putting in luxury seating and making the actual experience a bigger draw vs declining attendance and lower ticket prices. Makes a ton of sense for a NW type school based on their alumni.
I think almost every university is going that way to some extent.

Last edited:

Pat Ryan is the founder of AON Corporation, which is the largest reinsurance broker in the world, with a current market cap of more than $60B. He has a personal net worth of $7.6B. He and his wife both attended Northwestern so they have a special affinity for the university, having donated almost three-quarters of a billion dollars.

God, we need our own Pat Ryan.

Northwestern and St. Thomas both wear purple and are in need of a new Division 1 football stadium. Maybe they could find some land in southern WI where they could share a stadium that seats 20k?

If true on point 1, that's just silly. I can't imagine the costs would've been that much more to move even just the area in the has marks up high enough for punting? Wonder if it was an architectural and/or FAA type of thing? Spitballin'

On point 2, here at the U don't we still have the "old" indoor facility still in the athlete's village that other sports and/or student rec can use? Student rec also has a bubble up that can be used for those things, to the east of TCF (sorry Huntington).
Point 1- the Gophers Indoor Football Practice Field has 90' clear to the center peak. You can get away with about 85' or so, but not much lower than that (assuming you have a sloped structure). If you don't need to punt, you can be down at about 55-60' clear at the highest point. Add up 30' tall of building materials all the way around a 100,000+sf building, and it's a substantial cost. It's merely a cost vs. benefit issue, nothing more.

Point 2- yes, the Gophers still have the Nagurski indoor facility that is now used by all the other sports. It is a bit of a disaster, in that they deferred maintenance on it for so long, anticipating the new facility would go where it was located (and thus would be demolished). That didn't happen, and they had to put money into it to just make it habitable (insulation was falling down from the roof, the roof was leaking like a sieve, etc.). I don't know what Northwestern had before, but I'm guessing they didn't have something like this, so they had to double-dip and have football play nice and share with the other sports.

Northwestern and St. Thomas both wear purple and are in need of a new Division 1 football stadium. Maybe they could find some land in southern WI where they could share a stadium that seats 20k?

UW Whitewater has or had the largest D3 stadium in the country and also wear purple and they're in southern WI

UW Whitewater has or had the largest D3 stadium in the country and also wear purple and they're in southern WI
It all makes too much sense, doesn't it?
Ticket office could do a three-pack.

Buy season tickets to one team, get the other two team's season tickets for free.

Point 1- the Gophers Indoor Football Practice Field has 90' clear to the center peak. You can get away with about 85' or so, but not much lower than that (assuming you have a sloped structure). If you don't need to punt, you can be down at about 55-60' clear at the highest point. Add up 30' tall of building materials all the way around a 100,000+sf building, and it's a substantial cost. It's merely a cost vs. benefit issue, nothing more.

Point 2- yes, the Gophers still have the Nagurski indoor facility that is now used by all the other sports. It is a bit of a disaster, in that they deferred maintenance on it for so long, anticipating the new facility would go where it was located (and thus would be demolished). That didn't happen, and they had to put money into it to just make it habitable (insulation was falling down from the roof, the roof was leaking like a sieve, etc.). I don't know what Northwestern had before, but I'm guessing they didn't have something like this, so they had to double-dip and have football play nice and share with the other sports.
Northwestern had an indoor football practice field next to Welsh-Ryan arena. It was about an 80 yard field. It is now used by baseball and softball. I toured the new lakefront facility and it’s amazing(but slightly too low a ceiling). I think football shares it with lacrosse, field hockey, & soccer.

Would assume even though the facility is shared, football gets scheduling priority for practices, spring ball, etc.

Top Bottom