2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I think he will be the best option to guard the 3, there will be some 2's he won't be able to guard and some he will.
I've seen other folks type that and I could certainly be wrong, but in my head he looked more comfortable guarding 4s and 5s. I think he got eaten alive a little by Garza (Iowa) but everyone did.

In my head, he was a decent post defender, decent rebounder, threatened enough with his shot to make a traditional post uncomfortable defending him. That same player at the 3 is likely to rebound less, defend the perimeter and I don't think he's a massive threat offensively if he is playing the EJ Stephens role.

Maybe Ihnen's game has evolved from the last time any of us saw him play way back in March of 2021.

He has zero reason to make a comment like that to the media if he doesn't believe it.
100%. I am just going off of what I know now. If he's a completely different player, he could definitely play the 2. It happens. I actually think it happened a bit with Willis who was a much better ball handler his second time around.

I also have concern over this...but let's look on the bright side. This may be the most I've looked forward to watching the exhibition game against Concordia or Mankato State or whomever they line up. Really curious to see how Ihnen, Thompson, Carrington, Henley, and Fox are used.

Let's hope it's not a flaming mess.
I will say this....as bad as last year's roster construction was, what we saw on the court looked better than I thought it would, even if the record was bad. Ben seems pretty confident in what he has put together, so I am hopeful that the parts he has assembled work well as a unit.

I will say this....as bad as last year's roster construction was, what we saw on the court looked better than I thought it would, even if the record was bad. Ben seems pretty confident in what he has put together, so I am hopeful that the parts he has assembled work well as a unit.
Culture.

Seems so.

I feel like we are in win now mode this year.

Well, we better be as we could have a narrow window of opportunity. Personally, I don't expect Battle back for a 5th year. If Garcia performs very well this season, he could leave. I really don't know much about Fox but I don't expect him to remain after this upcoming season. Cooper may not stay another year. Having some success should help in recruiting replacements.

I've seen other folks type that and I could certainly be wrong, but in my head he looked more comfortable guarding 4s and 5s. I think he got eaten alive a little by Garza (Iowa) but everyone did.

In my head, he was a decent post defender, decent rebounder, threatened enough with his shot to make a traditional post uncomfortable defending him. That same player at the 3 is likely to rebound less, defend the perimeter and I don't think he's a massive threat offensively if he is playing the EJ Stephens role.

He was also a weak and unconfident ball handler during his two year career here which made him not much of a threat to drive any distance to the basket. Unless he's improved dramatically there I think that is a significant handicap (along with his poor 3 point shooting) to playing him as a 3.

The "type" of building of the team is really not relevant. Build, each year, to win. That is what each and every program does.

All the culture talk is just that, talk.
You can believe that type of building can work here. I don't.

Because top programs stop recruiting a kid even though he's committed elsewhere ... Idk... Is what it is.. he's a gopher.. I'm rooting for him ..
Basketball guys rarely flip on commitments. Most do move on once a guy has committed. That being said, we don't know if they would've offered if he was open either.

Maybe Ihnen's game has evolved from the last time any of us saw him play way back in March of 2021.

He has zero reason to make a comment like that to the media if he doesn't believe it.

Since Ihnen has been injured the majority of that time period, I have my doubts.

As to the second comment, you've got to be kidding. Coaches (and politicians, and administrators, and spokespersons) make off-the-cuff comments to the media all of the time that don't reflect the reality of their (or their institution's) actions. Last summer, Ben told us how impressive Thiam and Thompson were in their summer workouts but he barely played them during the season.

Oh boy. I really hope he doesn't really think what he is saying here. IMO, Isaiah can play the 4 or 5.
I do agree with this Ihnen should play 4 or 5 but it wouldn't be crazy to see him develop more as a wing. He was originally recruited and offered as a wing and was a 4 star

• "I'm so excited to have Laye join the Gopher program," Johnson said. "He's such a gritty player who's been a proven winner at both the high school and junior college level (at Indian River State College in Florida). Laye is a good shooter, loves to compete and works extremely hard. I cannot wait to get him in the gym next week as he starts his Gopher career."
  • "He's just scratching the surface," Indian River State College coach Charlie Wilson said. "He's kind of a late bloomer. He's highly efficient. He's a high-level shooter with an unbelievable motor. "
I disagree with your statement bolded. There are a ton of reasons to say that, maybe the kid is lacking confidence and needs that to get going. Maybe its to push the guys in front of him. It is also 100% possibly he had a monster year of development and is going to be very good. Look at all the reviews of Thiam above, just a great shooter, so hard working all this and all that, 6 mo later he cant find a D1 school to take him. Its coach speak, its cliche, they all do it. You think when Kansas plays NW Montata St in Pueblo that they are actually worried about losing to them? Heck no but you get "well you know we watched the tape and we like a lot of the things they do and we are going to have to bring our best game to beat them" That isnt true, they know they are going to wax them by 40 but its just what you say. Again, I hope II (and everyone on the team) take a huge leap, but to say "well Ben said it he is 100% right and this is going to be great" is also naïve.
Those are 2 different comments compared to Ihnen. He didn't say anything glowing about Thiam just basic he is a gritty kid

I do agree with this Ihnen should play 4 or 5 but it wouldn't be crazy to see him develop more as a wing. He was originally recruited and offered as a wing and was a 4 star

It wouldn't be crazy but, given his lengthy injury status, I have significant doubts that much of that development has occurred. I hope he is played to his strengths instead of his recruiting image or his original wishes.

It wouldn't be crazy but, given his lengthy injury status, I have significant doubts that much of that development has occurred. I hope he is played to his strengths instead of his recruiting image or his original wishes.
His injury didn't keep out of player development stuff. I think he can play spot 5 minutes but I think we are so focused on position that we are not seeing that we have the length and athleticism to play guys in multiple styles. I expect to see bigger lineups and zones this year.

Well, we better be as we could have a narrow window of opportunity. Personally, I don't expect Battle back for a 5th year. If Garcia performs very well this season, he could leave. I really don't know much about Fox but I don't expect him to remain after this upcoming season. Cooper may not stay another year. Having some success should help in recruiting replacements.
On what do you base your statements on Battle and Fox? Why would Battle not come back for a 5th year? Why wouldn't Fox come back?

Since Ihnen has been injured the majority of that time period, I have my doubts.

As to the second comment, you've got to be kidding. Coaches (and politicians, and administrators, and spokespersons) make off-the-cuff comments to the media all of the time that don't reflect the reality of their (or their institution's) actions. Last summer, Ben told us how impressive Thiam and Thompson were in their summer workouts but he barely played them during the season.
Johnson specifically cited Ihnen when asked who has stood out. Last year, he only talked about Thiam and Thompson when asked specifically about them.

• "I'm so excited to have Laye join the Gopher program," Johnson said. "He's such a gritty player who's been a proven winner at both the high school and junior college level (at Indian River State College in Florida). Laye is a good shooter, loves to compete and works extremely hard. I cannot wait to get him in the gym next week as he starts his Gopher career."
  • "He's just scratching the surface," Indian River State College coach Charlie Wilson said. "He's kind of a late bloomer. He's highly efficient. He's a high-level shooter with an unbelievable motor. "
I disagree with your statement bolded. There are a ton of reasons to say that, maybe the kid is lacking confidence and needs that to get going. Maybe its to push the guys in front of him. It is also 100% possibly he had a monster year of development and is going to be very good. Look at all the reviews of Thiam above, just a great shooter, so hard working all this and all that, 6 mo later he cant find a D1 school to take him. Its coach speak, its cliche, they all do it. You think when Kansas plays NW Montata St in Pueblo that they are actually worried about losing to them? Heck no but you get "well you know we watched the tape and we like a lot of the things they do and we are going to have to bring our best game to beat them" That isnt true, they know they are going to wax them by 40 but its just what you say. Again, I hope II (and everyone on the team) take a huge leap, but to say "well Ben said it he is 100% right and this is going to be great" is also naïve.
To be clear, I believe that Johnson believes what he is saying. Doesn't mean it will prove to be right, but I wouldn't lump comments like those on Ihnen in with coach speak.

Wasn't off the cuff but I understand why people tend to be skeptical about things coaches say and want to chalk everything up to coach speak.

I choose to take an optimistic outlook on the future of the program and am willing to believe Johnson isn't just blowing smoke, but hey I know that kind of positivity doesn't play well on this board right now.

Johnson specifically cited Ihnen when asked who has stood out. Last year, he only talked about Thiam and Thompson when asked specifically about them.

I like Ihnen, always have, although I think he is most effective as an interior player unless he's developed his outside shot and, just as important, his ball handling skills. I doubt he's made significant improvements to those since he's been injured most of the last year.

My point was that you can't put too much stock into what people say to the media. These speakers are a bit like foreign films, their words have subtitles.

Last edited:

I choose to take an optimistic outlook on the future of the program and am willing to believe Johnson isn't just blowing smoke, but hey I know that kind of positivity doesn't play well on this board right now.

As an easterner living in the upper midwest for most of my adult life, I've never completely understood the cultural abhorrence to pessimism and cynicism. If you maintain a healthy level of pessimism and cynicism, you'll never be disappointed and your dreams will never be crushed because you don't have them anyway.

I like Ihnen, always have, although I think he is most effective as an interior player unless he's developed his outside shot, and just as important, his ball handling skills. I doubt he's made significant improvements to those since he's been injured most of the last year.

My point was that you can't put too much stock into what people say to the media. These speakers are a bit like foreign films, their words have subtitles.
Johnson isn't just saying it- he is designing his roster around it. If we don't believe what he is saying about Ihnen, what should we believe? Right now, what I see is a coach who has basically said, "one more ball handler and I'm done." That means he believes that the rest of the roster is versatile enough for him to go into the season with very few guys that we would consider to be traditional guards. Cooper, Carrington and the last recruit would be it. That means others, like Henley, Ihnen or Battle will have to handle the ball and Ben believes it will work.

On what do you base your statements on Battle and Fox? Why would Battle not come back for a 5th year? Why wouldn't Fox come back?

Because not everybody comes back for a 5th year and I believe next season will be Fox's 6th year. Take Wisconsin for an example. Brad Davison played a 5th year but Nathan Reuvers, Micah Potter, and D'Mitrik Trice didn't.

If we don't believe what he is saying about Ihnen, what should we believe?

Why do we have to believe anyone? Why can't we just believe our own eyes when we see it?

Because not everybody comes back for a 5th year and I believe next season will be Fox's 6th year. Take Wisconsin for an example. Brad Davison played a 5th year but Nathan Reuvers, Micah Potter, and D'Mitrik Trice didn't.
I can't see that happening with Battle or Fox. I do see it with maybe Garcia. I don't see either of those 2 leaving early for the NBA or anything and Wisconsin players had an issue with Gard.

I can't see that happening with Battle or Fox. I do see it with maybe Garcia. I don't see either of those 2 leaving early for the NBA or anything and Wisconsin players had an issue with Gard.

Neither Battle nor Fox would be leaving "early." This 5th year entitlement is just a temporary thing and not everybody wants one.

Again, I think the upcoming season is Fox's 6th year. I thought he was at the DII school for 4 years with one being an injury or redshirt year, he had an injury year this season, and presumably will be healthy to play next season. Most players aren't going to want to hang around for 7 years.

I believe Battle is good enough to play professionally somewhere. Nate Reuvers played 53 games in the Balkan leagues this season and he did pretty well.

Neither Battle nor Fox would be leaving "early." This 5th year entitlement is just a temporary thing and not everybody wants one.

Again, I think the upcoming season is Fox's 6th year. I thought he was at the DII school for 4 years with one being an injury or redshirt year, he had an injury year this season, and presumably will be healthy to play next season. Most players aren't going to want to hang around for 7 years.

I believe Battle is good enough to play professionally somewhere. Nate Reuvers played 53 games in the Balkan leagues this season and he did pretty well.
You probably shouldn't assume anything about either player leaving early considering Fox has stated he wants to play for 2 years. Stop bullshitting.

You dont believe then culture is built each year? That player development is year by year? OK.
You didn't say that. You said the type of build isn't relevant. You said build each year to win. I don't think we can do that here yet. I do think we are built to win this year and are adding pieces to win the years after that. The portal has allowed builds to happen quicker. The fact we can win this year in year two after a total rehaul is the example of that. Some would like to not worry about character, graduation, fit, etc.. and just want talented guys. I don't think that works here.

Culture (Rules, non negotiables to be part of the program, etc...) is the foundation and frame of the house. Interior remodeling and decorating (Offense and defensive schematics or actions) can happen and does dependent on the players you have. Imo the house is still the same and is not "built" each year if we are going to win here.

Top Bottom