2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I've said my piece on Smith before but Johnnyboy doesn't know how to read. He may fail at Utah, but he has a track record of figuring things out. I'm not anti-Ben, nor does Craig Smith have anything to do with my thoughts on the current roster and Ben's recruiting ability.

With the current state of the transfer portal, you always have to be in win now mode. With the lack of guard recruiting, that doesn't appear to be the case to me. Getting Garcia is nice, but this is the only place he'd likely be able to play next season. That's not even guaranteed yet.

The rest of the spring recruiting has been disappointing with the opportunity to really make this team competitive next season. As it stands today, I think they are only marginally better on paper than last season. That's IF everyone stays healthy. Many other B1G teams are returning more, and have recruited better.
Nailed it.

I've said my piece on Smith before but Johnnyboy doesn't know how to read. He may fail at Utah, but he has a track record of figuring things out. I'm not anti-Ben, nor does Craig Smith have anything to do with my thoughts on the current roster and Ben's recruiting ability.

With the current state of the transfer portal, you always have to be in win now mode. With the lack of guard recruiting, that doesn't appear to be the case to me. Getting Garcia is nice, but this is the only place he'd likely be able to play next season. That's not even guaranteed yet.

The rest of the spring recruiting has been disappointing with the opportunity to really make this team competitive next season. As it stands today, I think they are only marginally better on paper than last season. That's IF everyone stays healthy. Many other B1G teams are returning more, and have recruited better.
I feel like we are in win now mode this year. I think we’ve brought in two transfers that can be at Battle and Willis levels in Garcia and Cooper. We have Battle coming back as the centerpiece of the offense. We have Payne, Fox, and Ihnen to round out a front court. I get they are a little unknown, but ACL injuries aren’t as detrimental. i agree having another Luke Loewe type would be awesome, but if Carrington can be freshman Gabe K we will be in the tourney I think which is a significant improvement.

I didn’t say say anything nor I going to count. GWG said Ben hasn’t earned his respect because he didn’t retain players from the previous regime. I disagreed. It’s a discussion board
Anti Ben. Must have been someone else. 🙄

So P5 rosters will only consist of players that are all deserving of playing time. Established players, established transfers and the top talented freshman. (and of course a few walks on that can fill out the practices)

We had pretty much free-for-all transferring in the summer of 2021 and a slightly bigger (and probably deeper) portal than we've had this season (this one has a hell of a lot of freshmen transfers without much to show for their first years). We ended up with Daniels, Ogele, and Thiam as scholarship players so I didn't have to look far to find an exception to your theory.

We had pretty much free-for-all transferring in the summer of 2021 and a slightly bigger (and probably deeper) portal than we've had this season (this one has a hell of a lot of freshmen transfers without much to show for their first years). We ended up with Daniels, Ogele, and Thiam as scholarship players so I didn't have to look far to find an exception to your theory.
Really? It was Ben’s first year and he was prioritizing building a culture and building a coaching staff.

But go ahead and believe what ever you want. By your figuring, Ben is tearing it up this year.

Then BJ is the one you should start laughing at, here is a quote from his news conference last week posted on 247:

Are you still looking in the portal for like a starting two guard?

"You know, right now I feel pretty good about our players. If we could add depth maybe a combo piece, I might lean that way. But I really like our roster. Isaiah gives you versatility. Isaiah can play the two through the four. Jamison is going to play the perimeter and the inside. Parker, Dawson, and Pharrel, are all interchangeable. There are a lot of ways we can go. Then you add in the freshmen and Treyton Thompson into the mix, we have some pretty good depth. So now we look and see if there is a combo that can help Ta'lon out a little bit. I would like to get Jaden Henley some looks at the one, especially with his size and versatility. If we do do something it will be to get Ta'Lon a little bit of help."

https://247sports.com/college/minne...ything-Ben-Johnson-Said-on-May-5th-187224013/

I think it makes for a more respectful and enjoyable board environment to offer an opinion while leaving out the bravado, insulting or mocking tones. Civility breeds respect and camaraderie, like a discussion with a group of friends. Isn't that what we want rather than the other unpleasant feelings?

Those comments are exactly why I'm concerned about Ben's ability to evaluate. He's really the only head coach in the country that feels that way about Henley. He could end up looking like a genius, or every other coach could be proven right.

Do a little homework...

Henley was a guard his whole career until he grew from 6-3 to 6-7 his sophomore season. That is when he transferred to Colony which is basically an all star school. A school that had good PG's to carry the ball up so he didn't need to do it. In college, his versatility can be used to bring up the ball at times.

Here he is in 2020 wearing #21 and #35 at times and showing very good ball handling skills on some drives to the basket.

You can take your pick of watching a few of these highlights to get a better feel of his skills. He is very good;

I've done plenty of homework, which is why I feel the way I feel about Henley. A clip from 2 years ago when Henley was several inches smaller doesn't mean anything. The most recent clips are from him stealing the ball, not bringing it up as a PG facing pressure. Big difference. I think he has upside as a forward, not as a guard.

I'm also not sure why you consider Colony an All-Star team? According to 247, they don't have any other ranked players in this years or next years class. Maybe you're thinking of Ola-Joseph who was essentially playing on an All-Star team.

Those comments are exactly why I'm concerned about Ben's ability to evaluate. He's really the only head coach in the country that feels that way about Henley. He could end up looking like a genius, or every other coach could be proven right.
Seems like hyperbole to say this. If you have quotes from all the other coaches in the country please do share, if you don't, why isn't sharing your opinion enough? Having your strong opinion seems completely respectable but why cite every other coach in the country when it seems likely there is no such evidence, for even a handful of coaches, much lass all the head coaches?

Last edited:

Stop repeating this nonsense because it's not true. There were only 2 players in the portal when Ben was hired. The decimation and rebuild to a last place team was his own choice, and one of the main reason's he hasn't earned my respect.

You're acting like the Gophers were coming off of a scandal or something, which they weren't. Ben inherited what most other first year head coaches inherited last season. This team could have, and should have been better.
Nope

Seems like hyperbole to say this. If you have quotes from all the other coaches in the country please do share, if you don't, why isn't sharing your opinion enough? Having your strong opinion seems completely respectable but why cite every other coach in the country when it seems likely there is no such evidence, for even a handful of coaches, much lass all the head coaches?
His offer list does the speaking... 2 total offers...

Anti Ben. Must have been someone else. 🙄
I never said GWG was anti Ben. I said the type of building Ben is doing with the team is and if someone who was still upset about Craig Smith not getting the job, shouldn't be anti Ben as they are building in a similar way. That's not accusing one single person of being anti Ben. They can be if they want for all I care, I just would think they should have better rationale.

I never said GWG was anti Ben. I said the type of building Ben is doing with the team is and if someone who was still upset about Craig Smith not getting the job, shouldn't be anti Ben as they are building in a similar way. That's not accusing one single person of being anti Ben. They can be if they want for all I care, I just would think they should have better rationale.
The "type" of building of the team is really not relevant. Build, each year, to win. That is what each and every program does.

All the culture talk is just that, talk.

Then BJ is the one you should start laughing at, here is a quote from his news conference last week posted on 247:

Are you still looking in the portal for like a starting two guard?

"You know, right now I feel pretty good about our players. If we could add depth maybe a combo piece, I might lean that way. But I really like our roster. Isaiah gives you versatility. Isaiah can play the two through the four. Jamison is going to play the perimeter and the inside. Parker, Dawson, and Pharrel, are all interchangeable. There are a lot of ways we can go. Then you add in the freshmen and Treyton Thompson into the mix, we have some pretty good depth. So now we look and see if there is a combo that can help Ta'lon out a little bit. I would like to get Jaden Henley some looks at the one, especially with his size and versatility. If we do do something it will be to get Ta'Lon a little bit of help."

https://247sports.com/college/minne...ything-Ben-Johnson-Said-on-May-5th-187224013/

I think it makes for a more respectful and enjoyable board environment to offer an opinion while leaving out the bravado, insulting or mocking tones. Civility breeds respect and camaraderie, like a discussion with a group of friends. Isn't that what we want rather than the other unpleasant feelings?

Oh boy. I really hope he doesn't really think what he is saying here. IMO, Isaiah can play the 4 or 5.

They still need to add a guard, at this juncture both PG and SG have minutes open, it sure seems like a combo guard would jump at the chance to compete for those spots.

Oh boy. I really hope he doesn't really think what he is saying here. IMO, Isaiah can play the 4 or 5.
Maybe Ihnen's game has evolved from the last time any of us saw him play way back in March of 2021.

He has zero reason to make a comment like that to the media if he doesn't believe it.

Utah, Stanford, and Texas Tech were interested.
Not interested enough to offer?? SDSU and MN are his only listed offers on 247... So 2 coaches truly thought he was/is capable...

Btw I'm not in the camp that I'm arguing for. I'm just stating the facts as I see them

They still need to add a guard, at this juncture both PG and SG have minutes open, it sure seems like a combo guard would jump at the chance to compete for those spots.
My guess is that we will see another guard added at some point before the season but I don't think they have to rush to get someone right now.

Not interested enough to offer?? SDSU and MN are his only listed offers on 247... So 2 coaches truly thought he was/is capable...

Btw I'm not in the camp that I'm arguing for. I'm just stating the facts as I see them
Just to float another side to this....Henley could have made it clear to coaches that he was sticking with his commitment to Minnesota which would then make them far less likely to offer.

247 has him ranked in the top 200 overall so not like he is a total flyer on a guy who is a complete unknown. He definitely came onto the scene late though for whatever reason.

I think he will be the best option to guard the 3, there will be some 2's he won't be able to guard and some he will.

Just to float another side to this....Henley could have made it clear to coaches that he was sticking with his commitment to Minnesota which would then make them far less likely to offer.

247 has him ranked in the top 200 overall so not like he is a total flyer on a guy who is a complete unknown. He definitely came onto the scene late though for whatever reason.
Because top programs stop recruiting a kid even though he's committed elsewhere ... Idk... Is what it is.. he's a gopher.. I'm rooting for him ..

I also have concern over this...but let's look on the bright side. This may be the most I've looked forward to watching the exhibition game against Concordia or Mankato State or whomever they line up. Really curious to see how Ihnen, Thompson, Carrington, Henley, and Fox are used.

Let's hope it's not a flaming mess.

Maybe Ihnen's game has evolved from the last time any of us saw him play way back in March of 2021.

He has zero reason to make a comment like that to the media if he doesn't believe it.
  • "I'm so excited to have Laye join the Gopher program," Johnson said. "He's such a gritty player who's been a proven winner at both the high school and junior college level (at Indian River State College in Florida). Laye is a good shooter, loves to compete and works extremely hard. I cannot wait to get him in the gym next week as he starts his Gopher career."
  • "He's just scratching the surface," Indian River State College coach Charlie Wilson said. "He's kind of a late bloomer. He's highly efficient. He's a high-level shooter with an unbelievable motor. "
I disagree with your statement bolded. There are a ton of reasons to say that, maybe the kid is lacking confidence and needs that to get going. Maybe its to push the guys in front of him. It is also 100% possibly he had a monster year of development and is going to be very good. Look at all the reviews of Thiam above, just a great shooter, so hard working all this and all that, 6 mo later he cant find a D1 school to take him. Its coach speak, its cliche, they all do it. You think when Kansas plays NW Montata St in Pueblo that they are actually worried about losing to them? Heck no but you get "well you know we watched the tape and we like a lot of the things they do and we are going to have to bring our best game to beat them" That isnt true, they know they are going to wax them by 40 but its just what you say. Again, I hope II (and everyone on the team) take a huge leap, but to say "well Ben said it he is 100% right and this is going to be great" is also naïve.

Top Bottom