2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Parker Fox would love your attention.....still amazing how many people forget about him. If we get Garcia we don't need another front court player unless there is one that is just too good to pass up available.

Battle, Ihnen, Fox, Garcia, Thompson, Payne, Ola-Joseph.....
Haha I'm shocked people would think we need another front court player (assuming we land Garcia).

Haha I'm shocked people would think we need another front court player (assuming we land Garcia).
I mean I get it, our front court was so barren this past season that it feels like we should need a ton of transfers in that area but we really don't. In a lot of ways it is almost like we have 2 transfers already coming in with Fox and Ihnen and we are trying to add to that.

If the Garcia thing happens I would expect all the remaining spots to go to guards or maybe someone who would be a 2-3 combo type.

The bold part of your last post is what we, and many people, are in agreement with about last year's group. I don't think the guys we're going after right now are the players we WANT to go after, they're the players we HAVE to go after until Ben has enough success to make Minnesota a destination for the bigger names. Just because they aren't the big names doesn't mean they can't contribute and have success though.

Last year (in my eyes) was about creating a foundation that can be built upon, not about wins and losses. Battle, Ihnen, Fox, and Thompson are coming back to show guys that come in what Ben wants Gopher basketball to be. The hope is every year, more progress is made and small steps on the front end pay off down the road and we get there.
Agree. Our biggest issue last year we had to play those guys because we had to build a roster from scratch. We had to play guys like Loewe, Stephens, & Sutherlin big minutes because we had 0 depth. If Garcia comes in, we will have much better frontcourt depth and we can play him at 4 or small ball 5. Dawson, Fox, & Battle in the front court would allow us to be so much more versatile defensively. If we can get a solid wing shooter & a high IQ PG, we will have chance to finish 5-9 in the B1G. We don’t need a scoring PG if we get Garcia. We just need a solid shooter who can operate out of the PNR.

Parker Fox would love your attention.....still amazing how many people forget about him. If we get Garcia we don't need another front court player unless there is one that is just too good to pass up available.

Battle, Ihnen, Fox, Garcia, Thompson, Payne, Ola-Joseph.....
Yup, you did say Fox would perform nearly as well as Battle and Willis.

In regard to Isaiah Thompson, I just shake my head reading some of these comments. The guy started 20 games last year for one of the best teams in the country. We aren't in Purdue's league....yet. His stats don't overwhelm you but think of the guys demanding the ball on that team (Ivey, Williams, Edey, Steffanovich, Hunter).....to think that he couldn't come in and start (or at least be a heavy contributor) doesn't make sense.
Agreed. And add Mason Gillis to your list.

Can’t tie them up and make them respond to the phone call or text man. As a leader of any role, you can pursue anyone you want. They will not all listen. Some will listen and say no. A good leader identifies who fits and is right for here. There is only so much time and if you waste your time on big fish who aren’t taking your bait, you’ll miss out on a meal all together.
Sure cant.

Rationalize away. It is what some do best here.

Pete could score from the bus or six rows up in the stands. They didn't count those.
somebody went back and watched all of Maravich's games in college. they estimated that - if the 3-point-line would have been in use, Maravich would have averaged 57 pts a game his senior year.

again - he would have averaged 57 points a game.

Agree. Our biggest issue last year we had to play those guys because we had to build a roster from scratch. We had to play guys like Loewe, Stephens, & Sutherlin big minutes because we had 0 depth. If Garcia comes in, we will have much better frontcourt depth and we can play him at 4 or small ball 5. Dawson, Fox, & Battle in the front court would allow us to be so much more versatile defensively. If we can get a solid wing shooter & a high IQ PG, we will have chance to finish 5-9 in the B1G. We don’t need a scoring PG if we get Garcia. We just need a solid shooter who can operate out of the PNR.
We don't need a pg if we get Garcia...phew I'm a huge dawson fan but the guy isn't LeBron! As we sit today I think its almost reverse of last year. Front court solid, backcourt looks like a hot mess. We need at least 1 pg and 1 cg, might need another G besides.

We don't need a pg if we get Garcia...phew I'm a huge dawson fan but the guy isn't LeBron! As we sit today I think its almost reverse of last year. Front court solid, backcourt looks like a hot mess. We need at least 1 pg and 1 cg, might need another G besides.
He didn't say we wouldn't need a PG but rather that we wouldn't need a scoring PG.

I will be surprised if we don't use 3 of the 4 transfer spots we have on guards with at least one going to a true PG. Last year we needed everything in the portal, this year we have fewer spots and a much bigger need in the backcourt to go along with some decent pieces in the front court that would get even better if Garcia comes on board.

He literally said they don't need a scoring PG not that they don't need a PG?

We don’t need a scoring PG. We need a high IQ PG who is a capable 3 point shooter

Definitely should recruit three more guards.

I wasn't really excited about Willis coming back either last year. Or really any of the guards. The only two transfers I really liked were Battle and Fox. With those transfers we were the worst team in the B1G. And right now I think those guards are better than the ones currently coming in for visits.

Cooper does have some intrigue because of the assist numbers, but is he someone you want to automatically plug in as the starting PG on a B1G team? Like bga1 said, these guys are depth players on a good team. Right now we have two starting guard spots open.
We had no depth. Our starters were fine until they got worn down and injuries started popping up, covid hit etc. It would have been a different team if we had more than one guy who could contribute off the bench.

I disagree. College basketball will always be a guard driven league. UNC was very mediocre when Garcia was playing, and they had RJ Davis and Caleb Love at guard. Plus they still had Bacot and Manek. The best teams always have multiple guards who can handle the ball and score, regardless of what's in their front court.

Sure wouldn't expect that move. I thought the little U of M was the preferred choice. Whatever happened there, would think he could still find a higher end school. Not trying to be a dick to Coppin, but a BIG player should be able to find something similar.

Oops. This is regarding Sessoms to Coppin.

IF Ben could casually open a press conference next week with the news Antoine Davis and Dawson Garcia will be Gophers next year.... I would give him permission to stand up and do his best Kirk Cousin's impression of "How you like me now?"
If he could pull that off, I'd probably borrow money to donate it to mens NIL basketball,
How much excitement would those two bring to go with Battle, Ihnen, Fox and the four freshmen?

Last edited:

Sure wouldn't expect that move. I thought the little U of M was the preferred choice. Whatever happened there, would think he could still find a higher end school. Not trying to be a dick to Coppin, but a BIG player should be able to find something similar.

Fits with the Doug Edert one for me...coach says he is the best defender, hardest worker, shoots like 57% in tourney and averages 15-20 ppg in the tourney when the spotlight is on him and he goes to Bryant College???

Fits with the Doug Edert one for me...coach says he is the best defender, hardest worker, shoots like 57% in tourney and averages 15-20 ppg in the tourney when the spotlight is on him and he goes to Bryant College???
Edert played for a lesser known but looks to be a very coach that identifies talent. I see what you mean about him too. Edert (unless he just chose for some reason to just enjoy life without stress of playing high level) should have also been on a bigger named roster. He could be a big component on a lot of teams.
Agree with you completely.

What’s the needed score to qualify as a “high IQ” PG?
I think there are at least two possible paths... 1. Buy a case of Surly, invite your teammates and Playa over to watch some NBA playoffs on your ipad. 2. You know it when you see it. Does the dirty jobs, takes charges, makes the extra pass, lockdown, bulldog defender, high to/assist ratio, great communicator on the floor, messenger from coach to players, always echos the coaches words, doesn't shoot much but shoots high percentage and is money at the line to close out games.
You know it when you see it.

I think there are at least two possible paths... 1. Buy a case of Surly, invite your teammates and Playa over to watch some NBA playoffs on your ipad. 2. You know it when you see it. Does the dirty jobs, takes charges, makes the extra pass, lockdown, bulldog defender, high to/assist ratio, great communicator on the floor, messenger from coach to players, always echos the coaches words, doesn't shoot much but shoots high percentage and is money at the line to close out games.
You know it when you see it.

Excellent post and great no-look comedic assist.

The transfer threads are even better for entertainment than HS ones and it will be like the birds migrating north each year, as a sure sign of spring.

Couple hours from Philly where he grew up. Everyone thought the other U was the team to beat.

Top Bottom