2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I saw this guy play last year. He's a Charles Barkley type (6'7" 275 lbs) but, like Barkley, he's aggressive and can really move. He had 36 points and 17 rebounds this year against NC State.
He was the best player on the U19 team that Chet was on. He can play anywhere he wants to

If you had your choice between Honor or Larson, who would it be? Is Honor one year? Seen it posted a couple of times saying that. Looking at his page makes one think he might have a couple of years. Know Larson is for sure one year. (Little further digging, think Honor has two years left.)
Honor please, just tougher competition with similar albeit slight "worse" stats. Besides, he looks like a linebacker. That guy could bang!

I'm fine with Honor and Spencer. I like they both have 2 years.

Larson as a fallback I guess?

Honor is significantly better than Larson IMO. We wouldn't be even having this conversation if Larson was from anywhere but MN
Yeah, Honor is a strange prospect though. I honestly don't know if it helps or hurts him that he has more than 1 season remaining. I suppose it probably helps him. If Honor doesn't get his shot back, he seems to still be a guy who can defend a bit more than Larson and take care of the ball. In today's basketball, it's hard to play with a PG who can't shoot but generally I agree with your point.

Yeah, Honor is a strange prospect though. I honestly don't know if it helps or hurts him that he has more than 1 season remaining. I suppose it probably helps him. If Honor doesn't get his shot back, he seems to still be a guy who can defend a bit more than Larson and take care of the ball. In today's basketball, it's hard to play with a PG who can't shoot but generally I agree with your point.
Think he just shot a lot at Fordham. %'s were worse there than at NC State. (I have never watched either guy play.)

Honor is significantly better than Larson IMO. We wouldn't be even having this conversation if Larson was from anywhere but MN
That’s what annoys me about some on the board. They want every player from MN. Larson is not a big ten PG. We just had a year with Loewe, Sutherlin, & Stephens where we played non big ten guys n hope we can shoot the lights out to compete. Now we need to start grabbing talent

I'd actually be pretty happy with Honor and Spencer if we landed both. Larson is an easy pass for me.

PG: Honor
SG: Spencer
SF: Battle
PF: Fox
C: Thompson

Fill in the incoming FR behind them. If the FR are decent we should have some solid depth. I'd also like to have another big, unless it's a player like Daniels or Ogele. Then just give me another player that's better caliber.

giphy.gif
Actual video of Spaulding is quite rare so excellent work finding this footage!

That’s what annoys me about some on the board. They want every player from MN. Larson is not a big ten PG. We just had a year with Loewe, Sutherlin, & Stephens where we played non big ten guys n hope we can shoot the lights out to compete. Now we need to start grabbing talent
Think you are both correct about Larson being in the talk because he is from Minnesota, but he seems to be in the mix, hence the question. Personally do not care where the players come from. As far as Honor, his stats at Clemson are almost identical to what Loewe put up at Minnesota this year shooting the ball and he is a two year player. Listed at 5'10" which probably means he's shorter.

I'm not so sure that he's significantly better. Here are their comparable stats adjusted for time from the past season. Granted, Honor plays in a higher level league but I think Larson is a better player than some realize. Honor made a big splash as a freshman at Fordham but Larson has grown over time.

Per 40 minutesHonorLarson
10.9​
assists
3.8​
4.5​
turnovers
1.5​
1.6​
rebounds
2.2​
4.3​
Steals
1.6​
1.3​
free throw attempts
2​
1.9​
field goal attempts
10.9​
8.4​
2 point attempts
5.4​
2.3​
3 point attempts
5.4​
6.1​
Shooting PercentagesHonorLarson
2 point FG%
0.465​
0.419​
3 point FG %
0.325​
0.386​
Free throw %
0.905​
0.816​
True Shooting %
0.514​
0.589​
CompositesHonorLarson
Player Efficiency Rtg
12.9​
14.5​
Win Shares per 40
0.094​
0.125​
Minutes Per Game
25.4​
32.3​

Honor please, just tougher competition with similar albeit slight "worse" stats. Besides, he looks like a linebacker. That guy could bang!
I have to imagine we would hear the stat that he weighs more than Treyton Thompson at more than a foot shorter every game, now that Luke Loewe is riding off into the Bass Pro Circuit sunset.

I would definitely take him over Larson.

I'd actually be pretty happy with Honor and Spencer if we landed both. Larson is an easy pass for me.

PG: Honor
SG: Spencer
SF: Battle
PF: Fox
C: Thompson

Fill in the incoming FR behind them. If the FR are decent we should have some solid depth. I'd also like to have another big, unless it's a player like Daniels or Ogele. Then just give me another player that's better caliber.

Do you really think that Thompson as a soph can play center based on what you saw from him as a freshman? I sure don't. I think Ihnen (assuming he's fully healthy and not too rusty) would be a far better choice for center than Thompson. I have to think Payne would be as well. Thompson is like a misfit toy for our team (a 6'11" player who doesn't rebound well, gets outmanuevered and pushed around inside, and wants to hang outside and shoot three pointers).

And
Do you really think that Thompson as a soph can play center based on what you saw from him as a freshman? I sure don't. I think Ihnen (assuming he's fully healthy and not too rusty) would be a far better choice for center than Thompson. I have to think Payne would be as well. Thompson is like a misfit toy for our team (a 6'11" player who doesn't rebound well, gets outmanuevered and pushed around inside, and wants to hang outside and shoot three pointers).
Or he could could get stronger and develop into a nice pick and pop 4 with decent rebounding and rim protecting abilities.

I think he has potential. I'm certainly not sold on Ihnen playing the 5 spot. He's more of a SF/PF guy to me. He could be a good option off the bench.

I'm not sold on Payne coming in right away and being that guy either. I admittedly haven't seen him play, but him and Thompson are similar as far as ranking coming out of high school. Maybe I'll be surprised and Payne is the guy. I certainly would be okay with that. We don't have a great option. Thompson provides some floor spacing to go along with Battle. It has a chance to a pretty good offensive team. Hopefully Thompson gets in the weight room and he can be a viable C option next year.

And

Or he could could get stronger and develop into a nice pick and pop 4 with decent rebounding and rim protecting abilities.

Based on what I've seen this year, I don't think that's a one-year transition. I generally stand by the George Allen philosophy: The future is now!

I think he has potential. I'm certainly not sold on Ihnen playing the 5 spot. He's more of a SF/PF guy to me. He could be a good option off the bench.

I'm not sold on Payne coming in right away and being that guy either. I admittedly haven't seen him play, but him and Thompson are similar as far as ranking coming out of high school. Maybe I'll be surprised and Payne is the guy. I certainly would be okay with that. We don't have a great option. Thompson provides some floor spacing to go along with Battle. It has a chance to a pretty good offensive team. Hopefully Thompson gets in the weight room and he can be a viable C option next year.
Ranking maybe similar but from listening to others (I live in IA so I haven't seen Payne play either) games are completely different. Sounds like Payne is more ready physically to come in and play like a C. Hopefully he's better than Daniels was for us last year, if so I'll take it (setting a low bar, I know).

Based on what I've seen this year, I don't think that's a one-year transition. I generally stand by the George Allen philosophy: The future is now!
Probably not, but I also remember the disclaimer when we got TT that he wasn't gonna be much of a contributor his first couple years. If Fox and Ihnen were healthy last year, we probably wouldn't be talking about him much at all right now.

I don't think Ihnen was a SF at all. He was miscast by being put in that position frequently by Pitino, probably based on making some threes when he started playing regularly towards the end of this freshman year. He didn't shoot outside well enough and, just as important, did not have enough confidence in his ball handling ability to play there. On the other hand, he was fairly effective when he played inside. He has good length and quick reflexes. On a 40 minute basis, his rebounding and shot blocking were second on the team trailing only Liam Robbins.

Top Bottom