2022 Recruiting

I am still guessing there will be scholarships. I think there will be transfers.

I am still guessing there will be scholarships. I think there will be transfers.
And if that happens theyll likely look to replace them with transfers so scholarships for the 22 class will still be tight.

I don't know too much about potential recruits beyond what I read here so I don't know if Battle is the kind of recruit that they have as a top priority. I could easily see the gophers just going after an impact transfer. What are other's thoughts on taking Battle (if she so desires) vs. an impact transfer? Maybe an unfair question because it depends so much on how impactful the transfer is.

I don't know too much about potential recruits beyond what I read here so I don't know if Battle is the kind of recruit that they have as a top priority. I could easily see the gophers just going after an impact transfer. What are other's thoughts on taking Battle (if she so desires) vs. an impact transfer? Maybe an unfair question because it depends so much on how impactful the transfer is.

Amaya is absolutely a top priority type of player. ESPN has not expanded out 2022 rankings from 60-100 yet but Amaya will be a top 100 (possibly top 50 recruit) once it expands. If they get players like Battle and paired with Braun, we would have a guard duo that is around 6'0 and both could play 1,2 or even 3 position.

Plus simply off the court, it would the Gophers getting a Hopkins kid. Get Amaya along with the other three (Heyer, Braun and Holloway) and you are then in the eyes of top 2023 Local kids like Tessa Johnson and then the two Hopkins kids Taylor Woodson and/or NuNu Agara.

I feel with 2022s, I do feel they are looking at Amaya or no other recruit for 2022 and any openings will likely be looked to fill with transfers.

STrib Athlete of the Week
MARA BRAUN

Wayzata, basketball

The 6-foot junior was at home Sunday afternoon, watching Paige Bueckers and the UConn women's basketball team. The game was of special interest to Braun, who competed head-to-head against Bueckers in high school.

Her father, Chris, asked her what it felt like to be watching a player on television she had played and done well against.

"It's pretty cool to say I had played against her and held my own," Braun said.

It won't be long before Braun is the one whom young players will be idolizing. The high-energy, always-attacking guard is one of three Minnesota juniors to commit to the Gophers, along with Nia Holloway of Eden Prairie and Mallory Heyer of Chaska.

"I said to my dad, even when I was young, that if Lindsay Whalen was going to be the coach there, you could expect me to want to go there," Braun said.

But first, she has high school and AAU priorities. Last week she scored her, 1,000th career point in the midst of a career-high 31 points in an 80-74 loss to Eden Prairie. She added 25 points in a 63-58 victory over Cooper and 23 in a 98-43 rout of Moorhead. She added 14 steals, 14 assists and 10 rebounds while shooting 63% from the field (31-of-49).

"My job is to fill the stat sheet," Braun said

2019-20 ASSOCIATED PRESS GIRLS BASKETBALL WISCONSIN ALL-STATE TEAM

FIRST TEAM

Maddison Baker, 6-2, sr., West Bend West

Lexi Donarski, 5-10, sr., La Crosse Aquinas (unanimous)

Leilani Kapinus, 5-11, sr., Madison Memorial

Caroline Strande, 5-11, sr., Racine Lutheran (unanimous)

Maty Wilke, 5-10, jr., Beaver Dam

2020-21 ASSOCIATED PRESS GIRLS BASKETBALL WISCONSIN ALL-STATE TEAM

FIRST TEAM

Kamorea “KK” Arnold, 5-6, so., Germantown (unanimous)

Bailey Butler, 5-8, sr., Black Hawk (unanimous)

Sammy Opichka, 6-0, sr., Green Bay Notre Dame

Maddy Schreiber, 6-0, sr., Kimberly

Emily La Chapell, 6-0, jr., Appleton East (unanimous)

I don't follow boy's and men's basketball as closely. I should have realized this earlier, but Amaya Battle is the younger sister of Jamison Battle who is transferring back from GW to play for the Gophers. This was mentioned in the podcast interview with former Hopkins coach Brian Cosgriff. He did not have insight on Amaya's college choice, but really spoke highly of her.

Mallory and company are looking for the upset. Chaska is up 34-27 at halftime. Go Mallory!

Mallory and company are looking for the upset. Chaska is up 34-27 at halftime. Go Mallory!
This is the first time I‘ve seen her play and so far I’m not very impressed. She’s got another half to go and I hope I see a better version.

This is the first time I‘ve seen her play and so far I’m not very impressed. She’s got another half to go and I hope I see a better version.
Agreed. Not wowed by her but it's only a half.

Mallory with 24 points and 13 rebounds on 11/17 shooting. Not bad against the #1 team in the state and the upset win!

Hopkins can not shoot! not one of those kids has the correct form except Nnaji.
that was not a Hopkins team, their offense was slow, their defense did not create turnovers.
Great job by Chaska, they are the better team.. except free throws, ouch.

Hopkins can not shoot! not one of those kids has the correct form except Nnaji.
that was not a Hopkins team, their offense was slow, their defense did not create turnovers.
Great job by Chaska, they are the better team.. except free throws, ouch.
Yup but they have so much length and usually get whatever they want around the basket. Heyers defense on Nnaji is what won them the game.

Mallory with 24 points and 13 rebounds on 11/17 shooting. Not bad against the #1 team in the state and the upset win!
Say this for her, she gets to the right spot and gets herself shots right at the rim. She did also have a couple nice, decisive moves to get around Nnaji.

Heyer best asset is her motor, she is always active, probably one of the best over 6' motors I have seen in AAU. If i were to have a concern with her game is what does her game look like at the next level.? She is a back to the basket kid in HS, can she step out 15ft and handle the ball or shoot the midrange. I think she would be an excellent 3 if she develops her face the basket game.

Heyer best asset is her motor, she is always active, probably one of the best over 6' motors I have seen in AAU. If i were to have a concern with her game is what does her game look like at the next level.? She is a back to the basket kid in HS, can she step out 15ft and handle the ball or shoot the midrange. I think she would be an excellent 3 if she develops her face the basket game.
I have watched her a few times this season. And I know she has been shooting the three more. And I feel like I read or hear somewhere that she expects to be a 3 a the next level.

Nnaji plans to announce tomorrow. And as stated earlier, MN not in the finalists.

Top Bottom