2022/23 Gophers Free Throw Thread

After their 9/16 performance against tOSU, the Gophers have dropped to 351/352, 0.16% higher than the nerds at Brown.
Cooper is the baffling one. He shoots 81% his freshman year, drops to 61% his sophomore year, 65% as a junior and is clocking in a 51% this year. When you can't rely on your point guard late in the game to go to the line and knock down free throws that is a problem. Gotta be mental because the free throw line distance hasn't changed.

Payne and Ola-Joseph are bigger guys who can hopefully really focus on their free throw shooting in the off season and get better at it. Payne especially will need to get better from the line or he will end up getting the hack a Shaq treatment. Heck at the end of the broadcast the coach flat out told the official they were going to foul 21 on his break when the Gophers were inbounding in the final seconds.

How that doesn't constitute an intentional foul I don't know. Thankfully Payne didn't move so they couldn't foul him.

back when Trevor Mbakwe was playing, one of the Badger boards had a tally going on who would miss more free throws- Trevor or the Badgers. and it was close for quite a while cuz Trevor got fouled so much and the Badger group was pretty solid, what with the final 4 trip and all.

They have officially taken the lead in the race to the bottom. The nerds at Brown have surpassed the Gophers, and have moved into the Gophers' former 351 spot. This team is now (for the first time this year I believe) officially the worst free throw shooting team in the entire country.

Capture55.JPG

They have officially taken the lead in the race to the bottom. The nerds at Brown have surpassed the Gophers, and have moved into the Gophers' former 351 spot. This team is now (for the first time this year I believe) officially the worst free throw shooting team in the entire country.

View attachment 23335
Thank God we "worked on it over the holidays" or it would be worse...

View attachment 23335
Love the "nerds" comment.

Interesting nugget in the Northwestern game broadcast, where Ben was quoted as saying that it's totally a matter of confidence and mental approach. Of course he's not going to say he hasn't recruited skilled-enough players, but his statement is just as indicting, as mental approach and confidence are largely a function of coaching. I mean, it's either one or the other or a combo of both.

We quite literally do nothing well as a team. It's hard to grasp a Big Ten team not having at least one collective area of competence, but we don't.
That sums it up. I would say this- when we stink, which is nearly every game, we almost never give up. That at least is to their credit.

Battle, Cooper, Samuels, Thompson combined 12-14 today.

Henley and Payne: 4-12
Which is hilarious because Henley has at least been mediocre (63%ish I believe), while Cooper and Samuels have been atrocious. Law of averages I suppose.

Locate the target. If you want the ball to go into the net, then you need to look at the net. If you’re planning to bank the ball in off the backboard, then look at the spot on the backboard you want to hit. Your eyes are an incredibly important part of a good shot in basketball. Once you release, you may either follow the flight of the ball (which is common among great NBA shooters) or continue to look at the rim.[4]

Locate the target. If you want the ball to go into the net, then you need to look at the net. If you’re planning to bank the ball in off the backboard, then look at the spot on the backboard you want to hit. Your eyes are an incredibly important part of a good shot in basketball. Once you release, you may either follow the flight of the ball (which is common among great NBA shooters) or continue to look at the rim.[4]
I remember either Darryl Mitchell or Trent Tucker saying they focused on the front of the rim and on getting the ball to go just over the front of the rim. I think that's a good method. You're better off being a little short than a little long.

Since we checked in last a few weeks ago, the Gophers have "increased" their lead for last place.

Capture.JPG

I feel like pointless and unproductive cheering for a team that is last in their division in free throw shooting is a level of purgatory.

Top Bottom