2022-23 Gopher Hockey Season

They are not good and never looked good

Penn State were frauds all year
St. Cloud is crashing back to earth
Michigan is at risk of losing their 5th in a row despite being unbeatable with Nazar

Michigan wins.

Cloud was without Peart and Trejbal.

Last edited:

Gophers still at 78% for one overall

Some people were saying the 22% had something to do with wisconsin, which made no sense to me. Obviously it's confirmed now that it goes beyond that since uw is done.

Last edited:

MSU coming to Mariucci next weekend. Probably the most favorable of the possible matchups for us, not including Bucky because there's no way they were beating Michigan.

MSU coming to Mariucci next weekend. Probably the most favorable of the possible matchups for us, not including Bucky because there's no way they were beating Michigan.
Agree on the matchup advantages, but MSU was probably the least desirable in terms of attendance at Mariucci. And with the Boys High School hockey tournament going on next weekend as well - would not be surprised to see a lot of empty seats.

Agree on the matchup advantages, but MSU was probably the least desirable in terms of attendance at Mariucci. And with the Boys High School hockey tournament going on next weekend as well - would not be surprised to see a lot of empty seats.
Agreed, always tough going up against the tourney. I just hope the B1G championship game sells out, would be fun to have a repeat of last year's atmosphere, without the beer being thrown on the ice.

Not that it matters until Selection Sunday, but the Pairwise right now leaves St. Cloud in Fargo with the Gophers, playing OSU in the first round. That would be a fun regional as SCSU and OSU would be a really high paced game...

1. Minnesota

7. St. Cloud
8. PSU (host)
9. WMU
10. OSU

16. RIT

Mostly agreeing - but while Fantilli gets the freshman award, go with Knies for POY
Turns out I'm an idiot and didn't realize Fantilli isn't even a finalist for POY. I think Knies has a good shot though the media loves the overrated Luke Hughes.

Fantilli is the best player in college hockey but only played 19 conference games.

I'd say Knies for POTY (1st in conf goals, T3rd in conf points, 1st in conf GWG)
Cooley ROTY (T1st in conf points w/Snuggy)

Turns out I'm an idiot and didn't realize Fantilli isn't even a finalist for POY. I think Knies has a good shot though the media loves the overrated Luke Hughes.
The media does love Hughes, and wouldn't be shocked if he gets the nod over Faber for Defense Player of the Year. But I would be surprised if he took both Defensive Player and POY (voters tend to like to spread things around a bit - and there should be no way that, with as dominant as Minnesota has been this year, Michigan would win 3 of 4 player awards.)

Probability has the Gophers 83% for the 1 overall. It has them 62% against Michigan, which is definitely higher than actual odds. But one could assume that means if they lose they are just over 50/50 to get the one seed. Point being, looks like they probably want to win again Saturday.

Side note: Alaska is definitely at risk sitting at 15 with how some results have gone.

Gophers are now updated to 100% for 1 overall! And poor Alaska is down to 57% to make it.

Still very, very open on the Gopher opponent. RIT, Providence, Lowell, NMU, Colgate, Niagara, CC, Canisius, or Holy Cross.

Gophers most likely to be joined by SCSU and OSU. Tough regional. 2 of 5 teams in the country that have beaten the Gophers in 5 on 5.

Last edited:

Gophers are now updated to 100% for 1 overall! And poor Alaska is down to 57% to make it.

Still very, very open on the Gopher opponent. RIT, Providence, Lowell, NMU, Colgate, Niagara, CC, Canisius, or Holy Cross.

Gophers most likely to be joined by SCSU and OSU. Tough regional. 2 of 5 teams in the country that have beaten the Gophers in 5 on 5.
Alaska no doubt a huge Mankato fan now. Weird to think the NCHC could be another bid stealer unless STC or Denver win it, and STC may go home today.

The way it looks like now for seeding, providing something like UND winning out to shake up another seed line with an autobid needing to be at home, it's starting to look almost locked for who are matchup will be with in the regional given OSU is basically locked into the 9 seed, STC the 8, PSU has to be in Allentown and they'll want Harvard and BU out East. Maybe they move OSU and bring in Tech or Western for attendance given OSU fans are more likely to travel out east?

Last edited:

With RIT out this list got shorter. Probably down to Niagara, CC, Canisius, or Holy Cross.

Looking like Omaha will do everything they can to blow it, and keep the risk of the Gophers shipping out east alive.

Looking like Omaha will do everything they can to blow it, and keep the risk of the Gophers shipping out east alive.
Even more so than that I just really want to see both UND and UMD get eliminated tonight. Would be a great cap to the weekend.

Thanks for nothing UNO. I still strongly doubt UND gets by both SCSU and Denver, but I certainly had some trash talk teed up for my UND friends that will have to wait another week.

UND very often finds a way and with Cloud being so inconsistent it may happen again

I understand why some of us can't shake Holy Cross from our heads, but the fact that we will be playing either #43 or #44 in the first round is quite a gift. RIT could challenge us on an off night, those two aren't in the same league as us.

Top Bottom