Newhook - 16th - Two years
Lucius - 18th - One year
Tuch - 18th - Two years
Bellows - 19th - One year
Norris - 19th - Two years
O'Brien - 19th - Four years
Schmaltz - 20th - Two years

Cooley is gone.
Fair enough, clearly was getting confused with some of the D men, which is a very different development pathway.

Also the paucity of top 10 guys playing college hockey is impressive. Guess we will see what Cooley wants to do and if they’re slotting him as their top line guy with a bunch of young centers already rostered. If he’s as much wanting to jump as you hint, that’s fair to put him that high of a percentage. Guess I hadn’t noticed it as strongly in his interviews

Fair enough, clearly was getting confused with some of the D men, which is a very different development pathway.

Also the paucity of top 10 guys playing college hockey is impressive. Guess we will see what Cooley wants to do and if they’re slotting him as their top line guy with a bunch of young centers already rostered. If he’s as much wanting to jump as you hint, that’s fair to put him that high of a percentage. Guess I hadn’t noticed it as strongly in his interviews
Not speaking for bonin but I think there was one interview in particular around the break when he really made it seem like he wants to be in the pros next year, and is not a big fan of going to class. Can't always read too much into those, but he did give people reason to think he's gone after this year. Either way I'll enjoy the ride as long as it lasts, players like him don't come around often.

Anyone have knowledge on what Chesley's injury, and timetable to return are?

If you had to pick one you take Faber back over Chesley 10 times out of 10. And even if Chesley doesn't make it back, having a St. Paul public school kid as the 7th D for a potential NCAA run is a great story.

If you had to pick one you take Faber back over Chesley 10 times out of 10. And even if Chesley doesn't make it back, having a St. Paul public school kid as the 7th D for a potential NCAA run is a great story.
No argument there at all, just curious on Chesley as I feel better about our chances of making a run if he is in the lineup.

Alaska is firmly in the hunt to qualify as an independent. I reckon no one would have predicted them as the most likely independent to make the tourney at the start of the year.

The Gophers' #1 overall probability is up to 77%, but with how close everything is I reckon there is only room for one loss over the next two or three games they play. I.e. if they lose today, probably need to win the conference tourney.

Alaska is firmly in the hunt to qualify as an independent. I reckon no one would have predicted them as the most likely independent to make the tourney at the start of the year.

The Gophers' #1 overall probability is up to 77%, but with how close everything is I reckon there is only room for one loss over the next two or three games they play. I.e. if they lose today, probably need to win the conference tourney.

That's a bigger margin of error than Quin. has. The Gophers these last few games have been dominant. Admittedly, I did not watch the Wisconsin series, and the Gophers stunk the joint up (if it's possible to make the stench worse in Madison). However, after the destruction of PSU and last night's suffocating performance they seem to be refocused and driving towards that championship. This team just has "that look" of a championship team to me, not just another contender.

Edit to add; I don't really think it matters if the Gophers get seeded #1 or #2. I get that there's an advantage to being #1, but I think they win their last four games anyways if they play even close to their best hockey.

That's a bigger margin of error than Quin. has. The Gophers these last few games have been dominant. Admittedly, I did not watch the Wisconsin series, and the Gophers stunk the joint up (if it's possible to make the stench worse in Madison). However, after the destruction of PSU and last night's suffocating performance they seem to be refocused and driving towards that championship. This team just has "that look" of a championship team to me, not just another contender.
Obviously that was assuming Qpac doesn't lose a game.

Obviously that was assuming Qpac doesn't lose a game.
I understand. And they probably won't. I'm more pointing out the positive side to counterpoint your pretty typical gloom and doom analysis. Fact is, the Gophers are in the most comfortable spot in the country. Literally everyone else in the country is scoreboard watching and hoping someone specific loses so they may benefit. Not the Gophers. They just get to go take care of business, and I think it's showing on the ice.

Last night may have been our most impressive game of the year. Playing a top 10 team without 2 of our top defenseman, and our best defenseman returning from injury, OSU looked like they didn't even belong on the same ice as us. If (and that's a big if) this is the gopher team we see the rest of the way, we are the favorites to win it all.

Start gathering your friends for the potential Big Ten Championship rematch.

Gophers with a 78% chance to be the 1 seed and a 22% chance of being the 2 seed. Prior to the win tonight there was a very small chance of them being the 3 seed.

Nothing more that a gut feel, but predict that Penn State takes 2 of 3 from OSU in Columbus this coming weekend and becomes the Gophers opponent at Mariucci on March 11. Even though Penn State lost to Wisconsin at home yesterday - was even less impressed with the Buckeyes this past weekend.

Last edited:

That 78% is lower than I expected considering they can only lose a maximum of one game before NCAA

Nothing more that a gut feel, but predict that Penn State takes 2 of 3 from OSU in Columbus this coming weekend and becomes the Gophers opponent at Mariucci on March 9. Even though Penn State lost to Wisconsin at home yesterday - was even less impressed with the Buckeyes this past weekend.
OSU is better. Better hockey team and way better goalie.

What I believe to be the true top 8 in the country is reflected this week.
As I mentioned here

SCSU appears to not be quite the same team without Ahorn. Still a very good team, not sure they are an elite team without him.

Still good enough to win it all

Gonna keep an eye on Mankato coming off of a last minute goal to win the conference. Confidence will be high. Would love revenge...

Last edited:

Quest for 50 points
1979-1980​
Broten, Aaron K.25 47 72
1978-1979​
Broten, Neal L.21 50 71
1951-1952​
Mayasich, John32 30 62
2002-2003​
Vanek, Thomas31 31 62
1991-1992​
Hendrickson, Darby25 30 55
1985-1986​
Cates, Jay L.20 33 53
2005-2006​
Kessel, Phil18 33 51
2022-2023
Logan Cooley16 32 48
2022-2023
Jimmy Snuggerud20 26 46

Best Gopher line I can remember in the last 15 years, at least. And it's not close.
Harrer had two 50+ point years as well, I believe.

Can't believe people are actually buying into the idea of St. Cloud going to Fargo even as a #5 seed for "attendance reasons" there and elsewhere. Dumbest thing I've heard all week.

Fargo tickets are sold. NCAA doesn't care who ends up there. The others are gonna have crap attendance regardless.

If #5 overall ends up in #1's bracket, that is the biggest screw job I can remember.

Want to fix attendance problems? Fix the format.

Can't believe people are actually buying into the idea of St. Cloud going to Fargo even as a #5 seed for "attendance reasons" there and elsewhere. Dumbest thing I've heard all week.

Fargo tickets are sold. NCAA doesn't care who ends up there. The others are gonna have crap attendance regardless.

If #5 overall ends up in #1's bracket, that is the biggest screw job I can remember.

Want to fix attendance problems? Fix the format.
Yeah NCAA has given every indication that they don't care about attendance, based on how regionals have been set up in recent years. I'd be absolutely shocked if we end up with the #5. Historically #1 has been pretty well protected as far as I can remember.

That said, I'm not convinced that I wouldn't rather face SCSU than Harvard or BU.

Won’t part of the problem be Penn State being a host team and then having to avoid inter conference match ups in the first round. It would still be a screw job.

The only 2 teams that "scare" me (and I use that term lightly), are Michigan and Denver. Obviously on any given night any top 10-15 team can beat us, but those are the only teams that I think can really skate with us and match our skill level.

No one knew anything about Union in 2014 and they kicked the Gophers asses even if the final score looked closer than it was. Qpac is obviously a solid hockey team, and almost surely belongs in the top tier.

Ideally someone else helps and you don't have to play two number 1 seeds to win the title.

Top Bottom