2022-23 Gopher Hockey Season

bonin21

Reaction score
Gopher hockey starts the season ranked #2 in both polls, behind (rightfully) the defending champions.

They should be 2-0 heading into a #2 vs #3 matchup against 0-0 Mankato on 10/7 and 10/8. After that it's #4 UND coming to Mariucci on 10/21 and 10/22.

Starting
6-0 = Perfect
5-1 = Great
4-2 = Good enough/Expected result
Worse = disappointing start

I want at least 3-1 vs MSU/UND. Or 2-1-1. We are better than those teams, or at least should be.

My team to watch this season is Harvard. They have the most draft picks of any team in the country (15). Lots of talent plus a decent amount of experience.

It will be UMN/UM/ND and then a big gap to the rest. I'd give any of them at least a 25% chance to win the conference.

Just over two days until puck drop.

Goaltending is the biggest risk to the Gophers' success this year. Would much rather have a big Chrona/Portillo/Dobes type back there.

Another key is the PP HAS to be better than it's been in the past couple years, starting with a better structure and the massive need for someone that can take a one-timer.

Just over two days until puck drop.

Goaltending is the biggest risk to the Gophers' success this year. Would much rather have a big Chrona/Portillo/Dobes type back there.

Another key is the PP HAS to be better than it's been in the past couple years, starting with a better structure and the massive need for someone that can take a one-timer.
I'm hoping Bartoskeiwicz (sp) steps up as a reliable backup option. Close did a nice job given the situation last year, but I don't want too much weight put on him. Bottom 6 forwards also concern me. On the flip side we have the best D Core in the country hands down. Between gopher football homecoming and the start of a new hockey season with a loaded roster, I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve these next couple days.

This is probably the most exciting moment of the season until tourney time. Just before the start of the season and the potential (depends on the year) to head to the first game at Mariucci wearing shorts. Can't beat that.

Time to start mentally preparing to be outnumbered in the Gophers home arena next weekend.

Huskies beating down the stinky people to the east 3-0 entering the third.

Last edited:

1. Might want to work on your directions
2. wisconsin hockey is pathetic
3. Cruikshank already contributing at SCSU hurts. He would be helped a lot for this Gopher team as would have Lucius and Broz in the top 9 and Perbix/other Lucius in the bottom 6.

1. Might want to work on your directions
2. wisconsin hockey is pathetic
3. Cruikshank already contributing at SCSU hurts. He would be helped a lot for this Gopher team as would have Lucius and Broz in the top 9 and Perbix/other Lucius in the bottom 6.

lol....I would have been correct if I had been in Michigan. I'm not.

Get over it already. The Lucius boys (and dad) are a couple of divas who want to be above the program. Broz was a whiner. All good players yes but they’re not here and they’re not coming back, no need to harp on that all year.

I'll definitely be over it once I see the bottom six contributing against good opponents.

While we’re at it let’s talk about how good we could be with Ben Meyers and Sampo Ranta on this team.

Won't create the series thread until Monday, but Gophers could be ranked number 1 going into the series against UND. Unless Mankato or Michigan jump way up based on strong wins/small sample size.

We are better than UND. We can sweep this team. No more celebrating a split against good teams. Win/tie at a minimum but we are arguably the best team in the country. Bring out the brooms.

UND will be about as good as Mankato, especially as they will be up for the series and will have a massive fan presence. A sweep would be great but it will be tough. Sounds like Blake from EP is already looking like a star. D and goaltending sounds shaky. Will need to stay off the PK.

The top 8 or so teams are all pretty much in parity generally.

Usually I don't buy ahead of time anymore, but after hearing how great Tampa is as a FF host, bought tickets last night. Should have bought right when my window opened up... But was still able to get in the club level which says all inclusive beer and food for the same price per ticket?! Are you kidding me?!

Usually I don't buy ahead of time anymore, but after hearing how great Tampa is as a FF host, bought tickets last night. Should have bought right when my window opened up... But was still able to get in the club level which says all inclusive beer and food for the same price per ticket?! Are you kidding me?!
Same price as Mariucci or same price as the regular seats in Tampa?

Well this was silly

Too high should be 5-6 and no one should be giving them 1st place votes. Look at the results not the names on a piece of paper.

Too high should be 5-6 and no one should be giving them 1st place votes. Look at the results not the names on a piece of paper.
Which teams should clearly pass us? I could see an argument for SCSU though they just lost to Bemidji, but if you look at the results of everyone, not just us, that's why we are that high. There haven't been any real dominant teams as of yet.

Irrelevant anyway. Pairwise is what matters and we don't get a clear picture of that for a couple months.

Don’t discount what Penn state did to Michigan this weekend if we win the big ten.

Top Bottom