2022-20223 College Football Head Coach Fired/Hired Thread

I think Prime Time flops in the P5. But I oddly want Colorado to be relevant again.

I think Prime Time flops in the P5. But I oddly want Colorado to be relevant again.
If he wins at Colorado he deserves a big job
If he loses at Colorado it’s proof you can win at HBCU with 5-10 really good players

Jackson State HC Deon Sanders and his team were a no show to postgame press conference after media waited for one hour. Team meeting tonight.

Barstool posted a scheduled flight tomorrow night from Jackson Mississippi to Boulder Colorado.

I hate his arrogance, I hated him as a player, and I hope he fails in embarrassing fashion.
I’m a little young to hate him as a player
I do find him annoying

It’ll be interesting to see how he does. I don’t think he is a good enough coach to win with inferior talent
I do think he is a good enough to win with superior talent.
Can he survive at Colorado long enough to upgrade the talent or parlay it into another bigger job

I hate his arrogance, I hated him as a player, and I hope he fails in embarrassing fashion.

No doubt Deon was a flamboyant cocksure mfer as a player. Easy to hate as an opposing fan. Easy to love as a fan. Regardless, he was a great football player and athlete (MLB baseball player). One of a kind.

No doubt Deon was a flamboyant cocksure mfer as a player. Easy to hate as an opposing fan. Easy to love as a fan. Regardless, he was a great football player and athlete (MLB baseball player). One of a kind.
His speed made up for his deficiencies in coverage.

I remember 1 game where a QB was going to scramble out of bounds, looked up and saw it was only Peon in front of him and ran his ass over.

He was 8-ply soft.

I don't know how anyone could have hated him as a player. He was the best CB to ever play the game and it's not even really close.

I think he is going to be successful at Colorado. The guy will be able to recruit and I think really knows how to connect with that age range without being a push over.

I think Colorado is really lucky that none of the big guns (or slightly bigger guns) pulled the trigger on him.

I remember 1 game where a QB was going to scramble out of bounds, looked up and saw it was only Peon in front of him and ran his ass over.

He was 8-ply soft.

He did have a reputation for a being a reluctant tackler that didn't want to hurt his pussy, especially in the run game, but one of the best ever cover DBs.

I think he’ll fail unless he can find great coordinators and continues to recruit exceptionally well. Jackson St was a unique situation for recruiting. Good location and he was able to really sell the idea of the HBCU. Not sure he’ll have near the recruiting success at Colorado, especially compared to his competition.

He was 8-ply soft.
Every single CB's speed and quickness helps them to recover, that is making up for deficiencies it is part of coverage.

He is over-rated and no one will change my mind.
To be honest, anyone who doesn't think Deon Sanders is the best cover corner of all time isn't really a mind worth changing. I think it's pretty clear your opinion of him is entirely skewed because you didn't like him high stepping or whatever. I don't think it's possible for that opinion to come from a place of logic or analysis, it pretty clearly (to me) it comes from a place of steaming over your hatred for him.

So, I wasn't trying to change your mind, just pointing out that I disagreed with your logic.

Sanders is going to kill it at Colorado. He'll hire a great staff and recruit like a MFer. I'm just glad NE didnt get him

There was a good 60 minutes piece on Sanders a little while back. Very old school coaching style. I loved watching him as a player. Normally not a big fan of the ego-centric, flamboyant athletes, but to me he was different. He was cocky, but was so good that he gets a free pass in perpetuity. I think he’ll do well at CO and bolt at the first opportunity at a higher profile place he gets.

To be honest, anyone who doesn't think Deon Sanders is the best cover corner of all time isn't really a mind worth changing. I think it's pretty clear your opinion of him is entirely skewed because you didn't like him high stepping or whatever. I don't think it's possible for that opinion to come from a place of logic or analysis, it pretty clearly (to me) it comes from a place of steaming over your hatred for him.

So, I wasn't trying to change your mind, just pointing out that I disagreed with your logic.
The high stepping was the best part.

Sanders is going to kill it at Colorado. He'll hire a great staff and recruit like a MFer. I'm just glad NE didnt get him
Problem is Colorado isn’t rich recruiting ground. Good news is that two of the better recruiting teams in the conference are leaving. I also would be surprised if he stuck around long.

Agree on Sanders as a player. Phenomenal athlete. Probably the greatest cover CB in history. Was a major league baseball player and could have been really good, but you just can't be a two-sport guy at that level anymore. He just couldn't put in the time necessary to get his baseball skills to a consistent major league performance level.

Like Charles Woodson, I don't think there's really much of anything Sanders couldn't do on a football field. He was a reluctant tackler (and not particularly good at it when forced to do that. But he could have played WR and probably been an All-Pro there as well.

There was a good 60 minutes piece on Sanders a little while back. Very old school coaching style. I loved watching him as a player. Normally not a big fan of the ego-centric, flamboyant athletes, but to me he was different. He was cocky, but was so good that he gets a free pass in perpetuity. I think he’ll do well at CO and bolt at the first opportunity at a higher profile place he gets.
I saw that, there is some PJ Fleck in his coaching style, I hope he succeeds. I wonder if he brings Mike Zimmer along. Oh, and I agree about best cover corner ever.

He was 8-ply soft.
More like 2-ply tp soft.

He wasn't always flamboyant. He learned that it could help his career while at FSU.

Edit: Not what I was looking for, but it touches on the metamorphosis.

Edit II: It helps to provide the link you were referencing...

Last edited:

I think he’ll fail unless he can find great coordinators and continues to recruit exceptionally well. Jackson St was a unique situation for recruiting. Good location and he was able to really sell the idea of the HBCU. Not sure he’ll have near the recruiting success at Colorado, especially compared to his competition.
His staff in Jackson State was legit from my understanding.

Sanders will fail at Colorado, but I guess it depends on what people think success is at Colorado. Prime isn't a great X's and O's guy but he may be able to recruit enough to be .500. This is MUCH different than his current position.

Problem is Colorado isn’t rich recruiting ground. Good news is that two of the better recruiting teams in the conference are leaving. I also would be surprised if he stuck around long.
The only other coach to my knowledge doing national TV spots is Saban - that type of name recognition is invaluable, especially when the parents of some recruits saw him play. He has built strong recruiting relationships in FLA; I would be surprised if he doesn’t have them in a Bowl by year 2 and has made Colorado Relevant again.

Colorado has huge potential in a PacX conference with 10 teams and what amounts to a virtually guaranteed playoff spot.

very different recruiting a roster of guys to a P12 school vs an HBCU where you have vastly more resources than your competition and a couple guys can win you the league. Very different animal to recruit there now when the “changing the narrative” by going to an HBCU is gone. Unless Deion is going to pay for the team himself, ain’t gonna be the same and his kid at QB isn’t going to cut it at the next level

Top Bottom