2022-20223 College Football Head Coach Fired/Hired Thread

n3lr7Ek.png

Hmm .... I guess I'm struggling to look at that and see how someone could try to dismiss him as a college coach based on the lower win seasons. Two quite clear rocket-ship trajectories, at two very different situations.

That he could convince talented college football players to come to s__thole inner-city Philly and play for a historically awful Temple program ..... what more do you need to know?
Who is dismissing him?
He won the American 1 out of 4 years and finished with 3 losses
He got second in the big 12 once.
He is a 47-43 coach. He has shown he has some upside and has also never shown the ability to sustain success. (Unless you count 7 losses in 2 years in the American as sustained success) He simply hasn’t run a college program for a long period of time yet. He has never coached a redshirt senior he recruited as a freshman. He has never coached a true senior he has recruited at the p5 level

He is probably the best coach Nebraska could’ve landed. He is far from a guaranteed success or failure

I think it’s a very good hire and he is a very good college coach. Not sure how long he stays though.
I think he is a very good hire and I think he is a solid college coach.
I’m not sure how one three loss season at the power 5 level makes you very good. I think you probably need a larger sample size to make that determination. Ron Zook Illinois pretty similar to Matt Rhule Baylor through 3 years.

n3lr7Ek.png

Hmm .... I guess I'm struggling to look at that and see how someone could try to dismiss him as a college coach based on the lower win seasons. Two quite clear rocket-ship trajectories, at two very different situations.

That he could convince talented college football players to come to s__thole inner-city Philly and play for a historically awful Temple program ..... what more do you need to know?
What Rhule did at Temple was quite astounding. This guy can turn around programs. The Big 10 got better with this hire. This was a great hire by Nebby.

What Rhule did at Temple was quite astounding. This guy can turn around programs. The Big 10 got better with this hire. This was a great hire by Nebby.
Temple won 9 games two of the 4 years preceding his hire. It’s impressive but it’s not as impressive as you think it is

Yeah I remember when everyone wanted the coach from Duke for the same reasons. (he was a hot name around here at the time) He flamed out too.

Rhule is solid, but this isn't the American this is the Big Ten and a school that doesn't take to more than 2 losses very well.

Yeah I remember when everyone wanted the coach from Duke for the same reasons. (he was a hot name around here at the time) He flamed out too.

Rhule is solid, but this isn't the American this is the Big Ten and a school that doesn't take to more than 2 losses very well.
I never thought Rhule would do well in the NFL & I didn’t understand why NFL GM’s thought he was so great. He just strikes me as a college coach. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t make a rather quick positive impact at Nebby.

David Shaw stepping down at Stanford. Had a really good run there that ended meekly. Will be interesting to see what he does next. He was a popular NFL target at his peak.

David Shaw stepping down at Stanford. Had a really good run there that ended meekly. Will be interesting to see what he does next. He was a popular NFL target at his peak.

Sounds like he was well loved by Stanford community. To me he is similar to Pat Fitzgerald
Almost impossible to fire. But probably the right time for the program for him to move on to retirement

He’s struggled the last few years and gotta think NIL and the current landscape makes it nearly impossible for places like Stanford and Northwestern to compete. Vandy & Duke are having ok years but it’s got to be so tough for these schools.

He’s struggled the last few years and gotta think NIL and the current landscape makes it nearly impossible for places like Stanford and Northwestern to compete. Vandy & Duke are having ok years but it’s got to be so tough for these schools.
It will be interesting to see what he does, I could see TV, coaching college/pro, or AD as a range of options.

Writing was on the wall for Shaw. Tough couple years. Had a great run there.
I'm still curious about Stanford over the next X years, and how hard they actually want to "try" to stay competitive at the major, national level.

Hey, when they had Luck, it was great.

But I think they might overall be just as happy being the "Harvard of the West" and playing football like that.

Who is dismissing him?
He won the American 1 out of 4 years and finished with 3 losses
He got second in the big 12 once.
He is a 47-43 coach. He has shown he has some upside and has also never shown the ability to sustain success. (Unless you count 7 losses in 2 years in the American as sustained success) He simply hasn’t run a college program for a long period of time yet. He has never coached a redshirt senior he recruited as a freshman. He has never coached a true senior he has recruited at the p5 level

He is probably the best coach Nebraska could’ve landed. He is far from a guaranteed success or failure
Last sentence is spot on, simply because the situation will (again) be vastly different from his other two situations.

I disagree with your critiques about his record and "only" winning the American once and not winning the Big 12, though he certainly came close and lost to OU twice. Because, he was only four years at Temple, and only three years at Baylor.

Your point would hold more water, in my opinion, if it was like 6 years and 6-7 years.

Last sentence is spot on, simply because the situation will (again) be vastly different from his other two situations.

I disagree with your critiques about his record and "only" winning the American once and not winning the Big 12, though he certainly came close and lost to OU twice. Because, he was only four years at Temple, and only three years at Baylor.

Your point would hold more water, in my opinion, if it was like 6 years and 6-7 years.
That’s fine if you want to disagree with his record. I personally agree that that is his record

To me that's no more valid than noting the record of his final year at each school.

All are facts.

It's context and how you massage the narrative you want to sell. That's fine

Fickell to wisconsin would not be good. Hope they keep Jimmy L

... but that's the thing.

It's OSU we're talking about here.
If they fired Ryan day for going playoff, playoff, 12-1 and 11-1 they’d have a pretty hard time attracting a new coach even with all that money. There is money elsewhere and you already know you’re getting fired the first time you lose to Michigan twice in a row

If they fired Ryan day for going playoff, playoff, 12-1 and 11-1 they’d have a pretty hard time attracting a new coach even with all that money. There is money elsewhere and you already know you’re getting fired the first time you lose to Michigan twice in a row
I think they could attract Luke Fickell.

That is really all we're talking about. Keep Day or go to Fickell.

Top Bottom