2022-20223 College Football Head Coach Fired/Hired Thread

Northern Colorado chimes in:

Ed McCaffrey, a former All-Pro wide receiver with the Denver Broncos, will not return as the coach at FCS Northern Colorado after three seasons, the university announced Monday. The Bears did not play football during the 2020 pandemic season, but McCaffrey led UNC to a 6-16 record across two seasons in the Big Sky Conference.

The firing ends what became a strange tenure for one of Colorado's most well-known athletes. McCaffrey was hired at Northern Colorado despite not having any coaching experience above the high school level. He served as coach at Valor Christian High School, but previously worked as commissioner of Pacific Pro Football, a failed pro league, and a radio analyst for Denver Broncos games.

"This is never an easy decision," said Northern Colorado athletic director Darren Dunn in a statement. "We appreciate all the work, time and energy Coach McCaffrey has put into the program and we wish him the best in the future."

During McCaffrey's tenure, players alleged that he tampered with scholarships in ways disallowed by the NCAA and showed favoritism to FBS transfers, according to the Loveland Reporter-Herald. The staff also reportedly did not get scouting reports on upcoming opponents and often installed plays one or two days before games. Twenty-eight players transferred from the program after McCaffrey's first full season, ranking for the third-most among FCS teams.

Go Gophers!!

Leipold with an extension through 2029 to keep him in Lawrence, KS. He's off the board for other programs.

Leipold with an extension through 2029 to keep him in Lawrence, KS. He's off the board for other programs.
Why would you leave that? Getting paid mid to high P5 salary and winning 6 games and going to a bowl is a successful season. Versus going to a program if you don’t win 9 to 10 games a year you’re on the hot seat.

Why would you leave that? Getting paid mid to high P5 salary and winning 6 games and going to a bowl is a successful season. Versus going to a program if you don’t win 9 to 10 games a year you’re on the hot seat.
I do think the times are changed
You used to leave a job like Kansas to make life changing money
Now you already do when you’re the head coach at Kansas, Indiana, Oregon state, etc

It's a matter of if you want to give yourself a (much more) realistic chance to win a national title in major college football.

If you can find peace with the pinnacle of your coaching achievements being going over .500 and having a few nice seasons and bowl wins at places like Kansas, Minnesota, Syracuse, etc. , then fine. As was pointed out, you can probably make $3-5M per year for nearly as many years as you want, if you just go 7-5 or 8-4 every year at those places with a few great seasons sprinkled in.

If you want a shot to be a natty winner, though, then you gotta keep climbing the ladder.

That record does include his first year at Baylor when they went 1-11. That was a tough situation to come into. I think it could be a solid hire.
Yeah. It’s probably the best they could’ve done. It also includes 7-6 his second year and never coaching a power 5 team with his own seniors

That record does include his first year at Baylor when they went 1-11. That was a tough situation to come into. I think it could be a solid hire.

I disagree a bit with this. There was bad perception hanging over Baylor at the time, but it pretty much only involved former players and the former coaching staff. There weren't mass defections and there was still a ton of talent in that program. Baylor was 32-7 over the 3 previous seasons. It reminds me a lot of Frost situation at UCF.

PJ inherited a more difficult situation and a more depleted roster when he arrived here. And still nearly went to a bowl game his first season, while Rhule only won 1 game. He's better than Frost, which isn't saying much, but I think he's overrated as a head coach.

44-21 if you throw out his first season at each job. Terrific hire imo.

I think it’s as good of a hire as they could have made. I’ve said that.
I don’t think he is a sure fire win big guy.

He at the very least is competent and hard nosed, so will be a major upgrade over the last few years of Nebraska football.

He has a history of burning it down before he wins as you said by excluding his 3-21 in his first year at his two spots. If he has a first year similar to that it’ll be funny to watch Nebraska fans.

None! That tells me how weak the candidate pool is
That was the point I was making

It’s either him or a complete unknown.
Sorry, I meant to reply only to Indiana Gopher, my mistake. I understand your point.

n3lr7Ek.png

Hmm .... I guess I'm struggling to look at that and see how someone could try to dismiss him as a college coach based on the lower win seasons. Two quite clear rocket-ship trajectories, at two very different situations.

That he could convince talented college football players to come to s__thole inner-city Philly and play for a historically awful Temple program ..... what more do you need to know?

n3lr7Ek.png

Hmm .... I guess I'm struggling to look at that and see how someone could try to dismiss him as a college coach based on the lower win seasons. Two quite clear rocket-ship trajectories, at two very different situations.

That he could convince talented college football players to come to s__thole inner-city Philly and play for a historically awful Temple program ..... what more do you need to know?

Rhule is a good proven college coach and rebuilt two programs. I think some people here are delirious. Nebraska got better today.

Edit add: I have family in Central TX with some Baylor ties so I tend to watch that team when I can. I thought Rhule had Baylor playing above its usual potential back in 2019. Fans liked him and were sad to see him go.

Top Bottom