2021 Other Bowl Games Thread

As of the conclusion of 12/30 games

Big Ten 5-0
All other P5 conferences 4-14

Utah has some studs, great run game, solid rush D and well coached. Go Utes!
The Utes are not opting out because this is the first time they made it to the Rose Bowl. That is the attitude of the team.

Those opting out and not playing for Ohio State are wide receivers Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson, defensive tackle Haskell Garrett, and offensive tackle Nicholas Petit-Frere.

The Utes have been the best Pac12 team this season. It is hard to know how Ohio State's depth will come to play.

It is hard to judge which way this game will turn out. If it is close, it may come down to the punting game.

Watch 29-year-old Aussie Utah punter Tom Hackett in action against 24-year-old Aussie Ohio State punter Jessie Mirco in the Rose Bowl.

Last edited:

I'm weirdly looking forward to the Sun Bowl at 11:00 am. We attended the Y2K Sun Bowl and I loved that venue, even in a close loss to Joey Harrington's Ducks. Rutgers will probably be getting pounded by then in the Gator.

The Utes are not opting out because this is the first time they made it to the Rose Bowl. That is the attitude of the team.

Those opting out and not playing for Ohio State are wide receivers Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson, defensive tackle Haskell Garrett, and offensive tackle Nicholas Petit-Frere.

The Utes have been the best Pac12 team this season. It is hard to know how tOSU's depth will come to play.

It is hard to judge which this game will turn out. If it is close, it may come down to the punting game.

Watch 29-year-old Aussie Utah punter Tom Hackett in action against 24-year-old Aussie Ohio State punter Jessie Mirco in the Rose Bowl.

The few times I saw the Utes play, they seemed to be significantly more physical than their PAC12 rivals which should help them vs OSU. Regardless, OSU will blow them out. It won't be close.

They should have a punt off instead of a coin flip.

It seriously looks like there are 40 people in the stands, which is pretty stunning for a major Florida bowl game. I guess Rutgers + Wake + Jacksonville + NYE is a poor formula for attendance.

Did they lose to Bowling Green or Illinois?
No but I don’t really get how that’s relevant to evaluating Michigan State is.

Michigan state is a pretty average football team. But they did a nice job not laying any eggs in a season where there aren’t very many good football teams.

we are going to have the worst national champion in at least 10 years IMO.
Michigan state has a team that wouldn’t have been top 30 in 2019 but will rightfully be ranked top 10 to finish 2021 because they have a top 10 resume this year

It seriously looks like there are 40 people in the stands, which is pretty stunning for a major Florida bowl game. I guess Rutgers + Wake + Jacksonville + NYE is a poor formula for attendance.
Wake Forest is like Northwestern, a small private school with a very small fanbase. Rutgers being a last minute replacement and because they are Rutgers is not going to bring many fans either.

Omicron plus the short notice for travel arrangements probably scared many away.

Rutgers is about 14.5 hours and Wake Forest 7.5 hours from the Gator Bowl by car not counting stops.

I might have been one to take that -7.5 bet. I thought the Fadgers would stomp ASU.
They really should’ve but Chryst took a page out of the Limegrover playbook and went RUTM, RUTM, poorly executed pass for the majority of the 2nd half. The only 2 passes they threw on the drive to put it away went for an easy 10-11 yard gain and for 30 plus on an easy deep out against single coverage (Mertz could’ve thrown that ball 2 counts earlier and not been touched, but he has horrid anticipation). Really wish ASU would’ve made it bite them

Tony the Tiger has aged surprisingly well and lived long enough to have his own non-cereal 🥣

Why is Rutgers' QB changing every play

The Utes have been the best Pac12 team this season. It is hard to know how Ohio State's depth will come to play.

It is hard to judge which way this game will turn out. If it is close, it may come down to the punting game.

I’d lean Utah as they’re the same style as Michigan (power smash mouth and PA heavy) and it gave OSU major trouble. The only issue is Utah doesn’t have 2 all American DEs to game wreck the OSU offense

They really should’ve but Chryst took a page out of the Limegrover playbook and went RUTM, RUTM, poorly executed pass for the majority of the 2nd half. The only 2 passes they threw on the drive to put it away went for an easy 10-11 yard gain and for 30 plus on an easy deep out against single coverage (Mertz could’ve thrown that ball 2 counts earlier and not been touched, but he has horrid anticipation). Really wish ASU would’ve made it bite them

I stopped watching early in the 2nd half. I did see that Fadgeland ended the game similar to the Gophs, running out the clock near the goal line instead of going for the TD. The holders of those Whiskey bets at -7.5 must have been pissed.

Omicron plus the short notice for travel arrangements probably scared many away.

Rutgers is about 14.5 hours and Wake Forest 7.5 hours from the Gator Bowl by car not counting stops.
You may be on to something. Fans might be avoiding flying this year. Music City Bowl was a sellout with that destination being within driving distance for fans. The Peach Bowl only had 41,000 in attendance, worst since 1990 (not including last year's game). This bowl usually draws crowds of 70,000+

Rutgers why. Gunna spoil the perfect B1G record.

Watching these games makes me realize and appreciate all the more, the elite DBS we’ve had under Fleck

No but I don’t really get how that’s relevant to evaluating Michigan State is.

Michigan state is a pretty average football team. But they did a nice job not laying any eggs in a season where there aren’t very many good football teams.

we are going to have the worst national champion in at least 10 years IMO.
Michigan state has a team that wouldn’t have been top 30 in 2019 but will rightfully be ranked top 10 to finish 2021 because they have a top 10 resume this year
LOL.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present The King Of Bad Takes.

Wash State looks horrible. Central Michigan dominating them at the moment. Kind of surprised ASU hung with Wisky last night, though I think Herm is a good coach. PAC 12 is really soft.

The games that really matter are B1G vs SEC. I'm puling for Michigan vs Georgia, PSU vs Arkansas, and Iowa vs Kentucky. I do have to hold my nose on the last one, but I want to put an end to the, "the Sec is the best conference garbage!

Rutgers is right there if they stop doing Rutgers-type stuff.

Rutgers giving up several massive plays after near tackles for loss. Unreal.

Reminds me of when the Gophs were perennially shitty under Wacker.

Penalty? Fine. But should not be ejected for that.
I even think the penalty there is boarderline as it was a really late and quick slide. Kid definitely did not deserve an ejection as he did everything he could to avoid contact.

As for Rutgers, game really shouldn't count against the Big Ten or for the ACC in the bowl cup since Rutgers was a late addition. But oh well. Big is still doing really well in bowl season so far.

Top Bottom