2021 Draft Projections

gophernut1

Reaction score
2021 - Mock Draft -

Rd 1 - Pict 20 - Bateman - Eagles - 5th receiver off the board

Rd 2 - Pick 48 - Morgan - Broncos

A little surprised to see Morgan predicted to leave college early, however if he gets any better in 2020 than this year I guess he won't have much else to prove. However, NFL always looking for quarterbacks with quick releases and great accuracy.

They also don't project anyone else being drafted by NFL in 2021 from the Gophers.

Last edited:

2021 - Mock Draft -

Rd 1 - Pict 20 - Bateman - Eagles - 5th receiver off the board

Rd 2 - Pick 8 - Morgan - Broncos

A little surprised to see Morgan predicted to leave college early, however if he gets any better in 2020 than this year I guess he won't have much else to prove. However, NFL always looking for quarterbacks with quick releases and great accuracy.

They also don't project anyone else being drafted by NFL in 2021 from the Gophers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dunlap and/or Faalele are in the NFL draft mix after next season if they stay healthy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dunlap and/or Faalele are in the NFL draft mix after next season if they stay healthy.
Agree, especially on Faalele who's likely been on NFL radars since HS. I'm sure they're salivating...

Coney Durr and St. Juste are also possibilities next year. DB's are always in high demand, and both played at a high level this year and are intriguing in their own ways. Our boy Zimmer would probably love BSJ size and length.

His measurables. He's not a big guy, doesn't have an exceptionally strong arm. I'm not saying he can't be successful in the NFL, but history says QBs like him rarely go in the first two rounds.

Inclined to agree.

However, FWIW, if this thread is based off the draftsite mock, then Tanner is actually the 16th pick (48) in the 2nd round, not the 8th. If it's a different mock entirely, then that just means there are at least a few people who think he could go earlier than my prediction for him going somewhere between picks 90-120.

Gut feeling that Gophers will run the ball more often and more successfully next season. It'll be interesting to see how/if that affects Tanner's numbers and progression.

Morgan does not feel like an nfl guy to me. I see him as a 5-7 round guy when he graduates. Hes not athletic and does not have a big arm. Im not sure are offense would translate well into the nfl for qb. How often do we run full field pass progressions, i think a lot of what we run is reading one defender or area in the rpo game.

I love that there is enough obsession with the NFL draft that they have a mock draft on some sites already for the 2021 draft when the 2020 one hasn't even happened yet. And they have even gone so far as to assign draft positions to the teams when things tend to fluctuate a ton on a yearly basis in the NFL. :)

For those looking to get some early bets in, it appears that Baltimore is beating Green Bay in the super bowl next year and the Browns are going to the playoffs.

Zach Terrell at WMU put up better numbers albeit against lesser competition at WMU with Fleck and went I drafted.

He has similar measurable to Tanner which is why I doubt he goes any higher than round 5.

His measurables. He's not a big guy, doesn't have an exceptionally strong arm. I'm not saying he can't be successful in the NFL, but history says QBs like him rarely go in the first two rounds.
One measurable I like is his accuracy. He rolled out of the pocket some against Auburn, so I expect him to continue that more next year. If he comes out next year (one more year of eligibility), then its because of a really successful year.He may not go that early. I hope he stays 2 years. I like his leadership.

I would be pretty surprised if Dunlap left after next year for the NFL.

Agreed, hed have to make huge improvements

He has nfl potential, but hes not there yet

I think Morgan's future is going to be as a coach more than a player. Just a feeling, but he could very well be the Gopher coach in 30 years. And the trivia question of the day...

Who is the last Gopher QB to become a head coach at a D-1 school and name the school.

Last edited:

I think Morgan's future is going to be as a coach more than a player. Just a feeling, but he could very well be the Gopher coach in 30 years. And the trivia question of the day...

Who is the last Gopher QB to become a head coach at a D-1 school and name the school.

Joe Salem? Minnesota?

I think Morgan's future is going to be as a coach more than a player. Just a feeling, but he could very well be the Gopher coach in 30 years.

Morgan is so unassuming that it is easy to think like this. Granted we have not exactly had elite QBs at Minnesota but in just 19 starts Morgan already has all these accomplishments (from the gophersports website):

SCHOOL RECORDS:
Season Passing Yards: 3,253 (2019)
Season Touchdown Passes: 30 (2019)
Season Completion Percentage: 66.0% // 210-of-318 (2019)
Season Passing Yards Per Game: 250.2 (2019)
Season Touchdown-Interception Ratio: 4.28 // 30 TDs, 7 INTs (2019)
Season Pass Efficiency Rating: 178.7 (2019)
Passing Yards in Bowl Game: 278 (2019 Outback Bowl)
Sophomore Passing Yards: 3,252 (2019)
Sophomore Touchdown Passes: 30 (2019)
Sophomore Total Offense: 3,196 // -57 Rushing, 3,253 Passing (2019)
Consecutive Games with a Touchdown Pass: 14 (12/26/18 – 1/1/20)
Career records not listed as they can change weekly

HONORS:
All-Big Ten Second Team (2019)
Davey O’Brien Award semifinalist (2019)
The Manning Award semifinalist (2019)
Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week (2x in 2019)
Big Ten Freshman of the Week (1x in 2018)
Academic All-Big Ten (2019, 2018)
Neil Fredenburg Award - Love of the Game (2019)

And of course, most impressive of all....his 15-4 record as a starting QB. His size/speed/arm strength make it tough to project him in regards to the NFL but it is pretty amazing what he has done in a relatively short amount of time as a starter.

For whatever reason, I will be really surprised if he goes pro early, but I wouldn't write him off as an NFL guy someday, kid just seems to be a winner.

Morgan is so unassuming that it is easy to think like this. Granted we have not exactly had elite QBs at Minnesota but in just 19 starts Morgan already has all these accomplishments (from the gophersports website):

SCHOOL RECORDS:
Season Passing Yards: 3,253 (2019)
Season Touchdown Passes: 30 (2019)
Season Completion Percentage: 66.0% // 210-of-318 (2019)
Season Passing Yards Per Game: 250.2 (2019)
Season Touchdown-Interception Ratio: 4.28 // 30 TDs, 7 INTs (2019)
Season Pass Efficiency Rating: 178.7 (2019)
Passing Yards in Bowl Game: 278 (2019 Outback Bowl)
Sophomore Passing Yards: 3,252 (2019)
Sophomore Touchdown Passes: 30 (2019)
Sophomore Total Offense: 3,196 // -57 Rushing, 3,253 Passing (2019)
Consecutive Games with a Touchdown Pass: 14 (12/26/18 – 1/1/20)
Career records not listed as they can change weekly

HONORS:
All-Big Ten Second Team (2019)
Davey O’Brien Award semifinalist (2019)
The Manning Award semifinalist (2019)
Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week (2x in 2019)
Big Ten Freshman of the Week (1x in 2018)
Academic All-Big Ten (2019, 2018)
Neil Fredenburg Award - Love of the Game (2019)

And of course, most impressive of all....his 15-4 record as a starting QB. His size/speed/arm strength make it tough to project him in regards to the NFL but it is pretty amazing what he has done in a relatively short amount of time as a starter.

For whatever reason, I will be really surprised if he goes pro early, but I wouldn't write him off as an NFL guy someday, kid just seems to be a winner.

Next season, I want to see quicker decisions and improved pocket presence. He’s shown he can extend plays with his feet, and throw accurately on the run. We just need to see it more often. The key is knowing when to escape/feeling the rush. I think he’ll get there.

Next season, I want to see quicker decisions and improved pocket presence. He’s shown he can extend plays with his feet, and throw accurately on the run. We just need to see it more often. The key is knowing when to escape/feeling the rush. I think he’ll get there.

Think it is very reasonable to expect Morgan to keep growing and improving. Scary to think what that could mean with how great he was in 2019.

People saying they don’t see him in the NFL, as he was top 15 in numerous stat categories in the entire league, a few of which he was top 5 and top 10. He’s only a sophomore. I doubt he declares early, but by the end of his 4 years here if he steadily improves as he has so far, I don’t see how he doesn’t get drafted.

People saying they don’t see him in the NFL, as he was top 15 in numerous stat categories in the entire league, a few of which he was top 5 and top 10. He’s only a sophomore. I doubt he declares early, but by the end of his 4 years here if he steadily improves as he has so far, I don’t see how he doesn’t get drafted.
He will most certainly be drafted by someone. He would be comparable to a Joe Montana who isn't the fastest guy, greatest arm or has the huge size, but Gopher fans would be the first ones to marvel at his decision making skills, pocket presence and at the end of the day, he is a winner. I don't know if he will quite have the career Joe Montana did, but he will be playing on Sundays for someone if he continues to develop. I still say though - his skill package will probably transfer to eventually becoming a very good coach too if he decides on going there.

And Writergoph is correct - the last Gopher QB to become a head coach is "Smokey" Joe Salem at Minnesota.

He will most certainly be drafted by someone. He would be comparable to a Joe Montana who isn't the fastest guy, greatest arm or has the huge size, but Gopher fans would be the first ones to marvel at his decision making skills, pocket presence and at the end of the day, he is a winner. I don't know if he will quite have the career Joe Montana did, but he will be playing on Sundays for someone if he continues to develop. I still say though - his skill package will probably transfer to eventually becoming a very good coach too if he decides on going there.

And Writergoph is correct - the last Gopher QB to become a head coach is "Smokey" Joe Salem at Minnesota.
Well I am late, but I would have guessed Corey Sauter

Morgan outworks everyone in the offseason, he went from being a "game manager" to Heisman watch list in one year.

Unless Morgan regresses significantly, he’s surely going to be drafted. He handles pressure well, is accurate in the short passing game... Those are the same traits that make Brees successful, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning relied on accuracy as their arm strength diminished and were both still successful (until they weren’t)...

Unless Morgan regresses significantly, he’s surely going to be drafted. He handles pressure well, is accurate in the short passing game... Those are the same traits that make Brees successful, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning relied on accuracy as their arm strength diminished and were both still successful (until they weren’t)...

Windows are even tighter in the NFL, but Morgan certainly has demonstrated enough to show he has a decent chance of being successful in the NFL.

Completely agree he gets drafted (in 2022) if he stays on his current trajectory. The big question with Morgan will be how high he gets drafted. He doesn't have the size or speed that NFL teams drool over but there will absolutely be a place for him at the NFL level if he continues to build on what he did in 2019.

Completely agree he gets drafted (in 2022) if he stays on his current trajectory. The big question with Morgan will be how high he gets drafted. He doesn't have the size or speed that NFL teams drool over but there will absolutely be a place for him at the NFL level if he continues to build on what he did in 2019.

Agree there's a spot for him at worst as a career back-up/fringe starter. Like a Colt McCoy or Chris Simms (not necessarily comparing their skill sets or draft status) at worst.

Agree there's a spot for him at worst as a career back-up/fringe starter. Like a Colt McCoy or Chris Simms (not necessarily comparing their skill sets or draft status) at worst.

Backup QB in the NFL has to be one of the greatest jobs on the planet. You get paid millions of dollars to stand on the sideline and not get hit. Sure you don't get the fame and glory that goes with being a starting QB in the NFL but you make a crap ton of money and can hang around forever.

I would be pretty surprised if Dunlap left after next year for the NFL.

I agree. Same for Faalele. My impression is that his technique is nowhere near NFL ready..... yet.

Top Bottom