2021-2022 College Football Coach Hire/Fire Thread

Crazy how quickly this happened

If you’re going to can him after 13 games, why hire him in the first place? If you’re surprised at how inept he is, you probably didn’t do enough homework. I guess I commend them in making a change if they know it’s not going to work out instead of needlessly going through the motions, but damn.

If you’re going to can him after 13 games, why hire him in the first place? If you’re surprised at how inept he is, you probably didn’t do enough homework. I guess I commend them in making a change if they know it’s not going to work out instead of needlessly going through the motions, but damn.
I think this was Peter Principle personified, he was a highly thought of coordinator without the ability to be a program CEO.

I suppose it has happened, but I've never heard of a coach being fired after 13 games.
Tough break for those guys. Guess they had to put a stop to the present coaching that was destroying the program. I question who would ever want to hire Lake in the future.

If you’re going to can him after 13 games, why hire him in the first place? If you’re surprised at how inept he is, you probably didn’t do enough homework. I guess I commend them in making a change if they know it’s not going to work out instead of needlessly going through the
Tough break for those guys. Guess they had to put a stop to the present coaching that was destroying the program. I question who would ever want to hire Lake in the future.
He will have opportunities as a D coordinator…..

Jerry Kill had a girlfriend at TCU game? Probably helping a young lady to the correct exit.

Can someone explain how Texas fired Tom Herman only to hire Steve Sarkisian? I guess I sort of kind of get firing Herman but how was Sark the choice? Was it purely because he was in former HC rehab (no pun intended) at Alabama?

Last edited:

Not a Coach but Miami has fired its AD, Blake James. Raised in Coon Rapids and graduated from Mankato State and St. Thomas.

That is a strange one. The results on the field weren't great, but they weren't horrible either.

He was there as an assistant coach for 6 years prior to being hired as the HC. You would think they knew enough about him has an assistant to keep him around as the HC longer than 13 games.

Now that I type it out, it seems similar to the Claeys situation here.

Can someone explain how Texas fired Tom Herman only to hire Steve Sarkisian? I guess I sort of kind of get firing Herman but how was Sark the choice? Was it purely because he was in former HC rehab (no pun intended) at Alabama?
He was okay at previous stops until he had alcohol problems.
The thought was, he has it under control now and can live to his potential.

Part of why Herman was fired was because the donors knew they’d be bad this year. For a minute people thought sark was a miracle worker

He was okay at previous stops until he had alcohol problems.
The thought was, he has it under control now and can live to his potential.

Part of why Herman was fired was because the donors knew they’d be bad this year. For a minute people thought sark was a miracle worker
If PJ is going to work the portal, Texas isn't a bad place to start, given the exodus they expect, including Joshua Moore at receiver.

Here are some numbers for you re: Texas: Sarkisian signed a six-year, $34.2M guaranteed contract. It will/would take more than $50M to buy out Sark and his staff currently. This is after they just spent $24M to relieve Tom Herman and his staff.

And as to the talent on the team, Texas had 52 4-star (or better) recruits on their roster as of Saturday's game w Kansas. Kansas had 1 4-star player.

If PJ is going to work the portal, Texas isn't a bad place to start, given the exodus they expect, including Joshua Moore at receiver.

Here are some numbers for you re: Texas: Sarkisian signed a six-year, $34.2M guaranteed contract. It will/would take more than $50M to buy out Sark and his staff currently. This is after they just spent $24M to relieve Tom Herman and his staff.

And as to the talent on the team, Texas had 52 4-star (or better) recruits on their roster as of Saturday's game w Kansas. Kansas had 1 4-star player.
Don't forget what they spent firing Shaka Smart and hiring Chris Beard too.

Yeah. For sure, but talent isn’t everything.
They didn’t fire Herman because they lacked 4-star recruits. They fired Herman because he was building a bad roster

which isn’t the same thing.

you need depth, balance, continuity, and guys that buy in

I was watching that game and cheering for Kansas like they were the Gophers. Don’t really know why, but I just want to see Sark and Texas fail. I think he reminds me of Lane Kiffin. Rides things into the ground and then manages to “fail up” for some inexplicable reason.

Who was known as Seven Win Sark. They might as have kept Herman.

I was watching that game and cheering for Kansas like they were the Gophers. Don’t really know why, but I just want to see Sark and Texas fail. I think he reminds me of Lane Kiffin. Rides things into the ground and then manages to “fail up” for some inexplicable reason.
Except Kiffin got his post Alabama gig at FAU and not Texas.

Can Tech ever realistically get back to where they think they should be?
Virginia Beach is a pretty good recruiting area. Not sure how Fuente was doing recruiting there but I would think they can get back close to where they were.

Last edited:

Can Tech ever realistically get back to where they think they should be?
In the ACC, absolutely. I have no idea what's been going on over there, but if you have a couple good recruiting classes, a dynamic QB, and a competent coaching staff you can compete for that conference with Clemson every year and rise up to national prominence now and then. Expectations for annual domination probably need to be tamped down a bit, but they can quickly get back to NYD bowls.

It’s bubbling.

What are you guys talking about?
I haven't seen anything on this.

Jerry is an upstanding man. A husband to a beautiful wife of many years. He wasn't her first pick, but he was her final pick.

That is a strange one. The results on the field weren't great, but they weren't horrible either.

He was there as an assistant coach for 6 years prior to being hired as the HC. You would think they knew enough about him has an assistant to keep him around as the HC longer than 13 games.

Now that I type it out, it seems similar to the Claeys situation here.
The more I read on the situation, it sounds like there was other issues with how he was treating players. Sounds like the program is in total chaos.

The more I read on the situation, it sounds like there was other issues with how he was treating players. Sounds like the program is in total chaos.

That is what it sounds like. I just find it interesting that they hired within after a very successful run with Peterson and it falls apart that quickly. Washington should have known what they were getting with him long before he was the HC.

That was quick. His path sort of mirrors Fleck's.
I thought Fuente would be someone to consider for the Gopher job when he was at Memphis. Can’t remember the time line but Claeys got the Gopher gig and Fuente got the VA Tech job.

Top Bottom