2020 Tennis Thread

A dominating performance by Jennifer Brady!! So great to see a breakthrough performance for her. I hope it continues.

Go USA!!

Serena has started off slow a bit but seems to find her rhythm in the second set. On to the Semi's...two tough matches away from #24.

Go Serena!!

Serena has started off slow a bit but seems to find her rhythm in the second set. On to the Semi's...two tough matches away from #24.

Go Serena!!

Just a couple of moms playing some Wednesday afternoon tennis;)

Shocker loss by Serena against Azarenka. #24 will have to wait a bit longer.

Not sure if Azarenka has another win left in the tank but would love to see Osaka lose

Osaka really turned it on. She's such a worthy champ. Her humility is impressive.

Go USA!!

Osaka really turned it on. She's such a worthy champ. Her humility is impressive.

Go USA!!
Quite the turnaround in momentum. Osaka is young but has the championship experience and was able to get focused. After that it seemed like here mobility really helped. She was able to run down more shots than Azarenka. In spite of letting it slip away Azarenka has to feel great about this.

And it sure seems like Osaka is on track to win a lot more majors.

Who you like tomorrow? I'm guessing Thiem but maybe you or mplslarson knows what Zverev can do to win? I was surprised to see Thiem win in 3 in the semis. Medvedev had looked great from what I had seen.

Quite the turnaround in momentum. Osaka is young but has the championship experience and was able to get focused. After that it seemed like here mobility really helped. She was able to run down more shots than Azarenka. In spite of letting it slip away Azarenka has to feel great about this.

And it sure seems like Osaka is on track to win a lot more majors.

Who you like tomorrow? I'm guessing Thiem but maybe you or mplslarson knows what Zverev can do to win? I was surprised to see Thiem win in 3 in the semis. Medvedev had looked great from what I had seen.

I think Thiem wins as well, though it's really going to come down to who can handle the moment. A first time Slam winner will be crowned for the first time in a while. Having no crowd will likely help calm the nerves, but it's a huge opportunity for one of them.

Still sad that the last American man to win a Slam was Roddick in 2003 and there's no legit threat to break the streak. Sad.

Go USA!!

This final is pretty wild so far. Thiem looked like he was going to get swept in straights now up a break in the 5th.

Whichever player gets less nervous wins, I guess?

Guy controlling the music is trolling them both with "Under Pressure." Nice.

What an incredible 5th set. I can't believe Zverev's serve let him down at the big moments. Two double faults in a tie-breaker is nearly unheard of, but both players literally gave it everything they had. It's a shame there wasn't a crowd to provide energy for these guys.

Go USA!!

Osaka pulls out of the French Open.

Go USA!!

Good start yesterday for the American men in Paris, with Isner, Korda, and Fritz all winning. Jack Sock, who came through qualifying, has won the first two sets against Opelka. Good to see him win some matches finally.

Rougher start for the women. Gauff won yesterday, with Venus, Lepchenko, and Rogers all losing. A lot more American women on the schedule today.

Tough news on Serena pulling out. #24 is becoming more and more elusive.

Isner out. Sock out. McDonald out. Fritz moves on.

Go USA!!

Nice run by Seb Korda (son of 1998 Australian champ Petr Korda) to make the 4th round.

Unfortunately, his next opponent is Nadal.

Kenin through to the quarterfinals. She will play the winner of Collins vs. Jabeur, pretty nice match-up for her to make it to the semifinals.

Huge win for Diego Schwartzman over Thiem!! Love watching him play.

Go USA!!

Kenin into the semifinals and will play #7 seed Kvitova. I really like Kenin's chances in that one.

Caught a bit of the match replay...Kenin had a drop shot return winner off a 2nd serve.

Never seen that one before...

As expected, Nadal v Djokovic in the finals. It should be an epic match.

Nadal wins and he ties Federer for most Majors; Novak wins and he's just 2 behind Fed. Crazy.

Go USA!!

Nadal is as amazing as ever with a dominating win over Novak. Rafa is now 100-2 at the French Open which is absurd.

And Roger once again shows why he's the classiest athlete in all sports shortly after the match:

Go Federer!!

per Axios Sports:

Daniil Medvedev won the ATP Finals on Sunday in the event's farewell to London, avenging his U.S. Open semifinal loss against Dominic Thiem, Jeff writes.
  • Match score: 4-6, 7-6 (2), 6-4
  • 🎥 Watch: Highlights
The backdrop: The ATP Finals, which pits the top eight players in the world against each other in a round-robin event, has been held in London since 2009.
  • Past winners: Roger Federer's six titles are the most ever. Pete Sampras, Ivan Lendl and Novak Djokovic are tied for second, with five.
  • Looking back: The event was first held in 1970 in Tokyo (and was dubbed the Grand Prix Masters). Since then, it has rotated around cities like Lisbon, Sydney, Houston, Shanghai, New York and Frankfurt.
  • Next stop: Turin, Italy will host the ATP Finals from 2021 to 2025.
The big picture: Medvedev and Thiem beat Rafael Nadal and Djokovic, respectively, to reach the final, and Federer has been out since June. It certainly begs the question: Are we witnessing the beginning of the end of an era?
  • On one hand, it's been five years since Nadal, Djokovic or Federer won the ATP Finals, and Djokovic is the only one to even finish runner-up in that time.
  • On the other hand, the big three have continued dominating the Grand Slams, winning 57 of the last 69 and 14 of the last 15.
The bottom line: Perhaps the ATP lapse is just a quirky footnote in the story of their greatness. Or perhaps it's the latest sign that the tides are finally turning, giving way to a new generation.

Go Federer!!

Top Bottom