2020 Tennis Thread

Federer having knee surgery, sounds like he wants to be back for Wimbledon.

Jack Sock an emotional wreck after ending 15-month losing streak

Jack Sock broke down in tears after an emotional first win since 2018.

Sock, the No. 8 player in the world just two years ago, hadn’t won on the ATP Tour since the Paris Masters in November 2018. His two years of agony finally ended on Wednesday with an emotional victory over Radu Albot in the first round of the Delray Beach Open in Florida.

Sock has relied on wild-card entries to play in tournaments recently after his world ranking points dissolved completely to nothing, leaving him as an unranked player outside the top 1000.

Now, 15 months since his last Tour win, Sock was overcome on the court after he rallied and saved a match point to defeat Albot, the defending champ at Delray Beach, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6.

After saving a match point to force a third-set tiebreak, the Kansas City native came up with clutch serves to win the match 7-2 in the breaker. The 27-year-old dropped to his knees after match point and hid his head in his hands before wiping away tears.

He was clearly emotional and broke down in more tears after shaking hands with Albot and retreating to his courtside seat. He was still wiping away tears when he returned to the court to thank the crowd.

The tennis community celebrated Sock’s win, but some noted that Albot was winless in 2019, recovering from shoulder surgery and the level of the match was poor. That matters not to Sock, whose only highlight the past two years was a victory over Italian Fabio Fognini in the Laver Cup — an event that pits the World against Europeans, but is not an ATP Tour event.

The win automatically restores Sock as a ranked player and he is expected to climb as high as No. 770 in the world when the ATP Tour updates its rankings next Monday.

Go USA!!

Frances Tiafoe tops Tommy Paul, makes Delray Beach quarterfinals

Frances Tiafoe advanced to his first ATP Tour quarterfinal this year by beating fellow American Tommy Paul 7-5, 7-6 (4) on Thursday at the Delray Beach Open.

Tiafoe, the 2018 champion, said he was pleased to win playing less than his best.

"It seems like on tour I've only been able to win matches when I'm playing absolutely absurd tennis," he said. "You're not going to feel amazing every match."

In another all-American matchup, Steve Johnson beat wild card Jack Sock 6-4, 5-7, 6-1.

Go USA!!

5-time Grand Slam winner Maria Sharapova announces her retirement:

Looking back now, I realize that tennis has been my mountain. My path has been filled with valleys and detours, but the views from its peak were incredible. After 28 years and five Grand Slam titles, though, I’m ready to scale another mountain—to compete on a different type of terrain.

That relentless chase for victories, though? That won’t ever diminish. No matter what lies ahead, I will apply the same focus, the same work ethic, and all of the lessons I’ve learned along the way.

In the meantime, there are a few simple things I’m really looking forward to: A sense of stillness with my family. Lingering over a morning cup of coffee. Unexpected weekend getaways. Workouts of my choice (hello, dance class!).

Tennis showed me the world—and it showed me what I was made of. It’s how I tested myself and how I measured my growth. And so in whatever I might choose for my next chapter, my next mountain, I’ll still be pushing. I’ll still be climbing. I’ll still be growing.

Go USA!!

Pretty good week for Jack Sock, he's playing in the final of the Indian Wells warm-up event against Steve Johnson. Technically challenger level event, but one of the bigger ones of the season.

Indian Wells canceled. First major sporting event to cancel due to the virus.

LA Times: Bob and Mike Bryan chasing a few more big wins to cap their prolific careers

The Bryans got to the quarterfinals of the event they have won six times, the Australian Open, and even won a couple of tournaments — Delray Beach and Miami. By last year’s U.S. Open, they were exhausted and decided to shut it down for the rest of the season and, to the surprise of many, give it one more go-around in 2020.

“If we had had, together, the kind of year Mike had with Jack Sock in 2018,” Bob says, “we likely would have shut it down then.”

As they explain their retirement plan in interviews, they say they have been doing this for 21 years, have been on airplanes every week for most of those years, will still compete hard and want to win as much as ever this season, but also want to look around, take in sights they never did before, and share all these “one-more-times” with the fans.

In essence, there is little more for them to achieve. Stanford won NCAA titles both years the Bryans were there, 1997 and ’98. In 1998, when they won the NCAA team title, they added the men’s doubles title and Bob won the rare collegiate Triple Crown when he took the singles title.

Besides their Grand Slam men’s doubles records — including a Bryan Golden Slam of four majors in a row and an Olympic gold medal — they won seven straight men’s doubles majors from the ’06 Australian Open to the ’06 Wimbledon.

They also have an Olympic bronze medal, a record 39 Masters Series 1000 titles and a Davis Cup title in 2007. In their career, they have won $37 million.

In various interviews about their last season, they have been asked if they were ever close to going in different directions with different partners.

“We never considered breaking up,” Bob says.

Mike nods.

When it ends in September at the U.S. Open — where they first played as 125-pound, 17-year-olds and got kicked off the practice courts because officials thought they were ball boys — Bob will come home to Camarillo and three kids under the age of 9 and Mike will be off for Hallandale, Fla., and a new baby, due this April.

Go Bryan Bros!!

French Open tennis postponed until late September due to coronavirus

The French Open has been postponed until September amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The second grand slam event of the year was scheduled to begin on 24 May at Roland Garros but has been moved to 20 September to 4 October.

A French Tennis Federation statement read: “The Covid-19 health crisis affects all populations. The current confinement measures have made it impossible for us to continue with the dates originally planned.”

“In order to act responsibly and protect the health of its employees, service providers and suppliers during the organisation period, the FFT has chosen the only option that will allow them to maintain the 2020 edition of the tournament while joining the fight against Covid-19.”

The new start date is only one week after the scheduled finish of the US Open, which is due to take place from 24 August to 14 September.

Go USA!!

Federer having knee surgery, sounds like he wants to be back for Wimbledon.

Fed's knee surgery timing couldn't have been any better. He may end up not even missing a single tournament he otherwise would have played in.

Go Federer!!

Hey Bleed, Larson and anyone else on here. ESPN2 is showing some classic matches. Last night they had the Williams sisters in the 2003 Aussie Final and their about to kick off back to back Fed/Rafa Finals., 2017 Aussie and 2008 Wimbledon.

I paused my subscription to YouTube TV.

No basketball.

No Tennis.

What is life without meaning?

ESPN: Novak Djokovic worried over possible compulsory coronavirus vaccination

Novak Djokovic said he faces a dilemma if it becomes compulsory for players to get vaccinated before they can return to competing, as he is opposed to vaccinations.

Much of the sporting calendar has been halted as the coronavirus pandemic continues to sweep the world.

"Personally, I am opposed to vaccination, and I wouldn't want to be forced by someone to take a vaccine in order to be able to travel," Djokovic said in a live Facebook chat on Sunday with several fellow Serbian athletes.

"But if it becomes compulsory, what will happen? I will have to make a decision. I have my own thoughts about the matter, and whether those thoughts will change at some point, I don't know.

"Hypothetically, if the season was to resume in July, August or September, though unlikely, I understand that a vaccine will become a requirement straight after we are out of strict quarantine, and there is no vaccine yet."

Go Federer!!

Roger Federer ponders merger of men's, women's tennis tours

Roger Federer has raised the prospect of merging the governing bodies that oversee the men's and women's professional tennis tours.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion began a string of tweets on Wednesday by saying the shutdown of tennis because of the coronavirus pandemic has given the sport an ideal opportunity to assess its future.

"Am I the only one thinking that now is the time for men's and women's tennis to be united and come together as one?" Federer wrote.

The social media posts were met with plenty of enthusiastic replies, including those from Rafael Nadal and some of the world's top women's players.

"As you know per our discussions," Nadal, a winner of 19 Grand Slams, wrote to Federer, "I completely agree that it would be great to get out of this world crisis with the union of men's and women's tennis in one only organisation."

Simona Halep and Garbine Muguruza, both recent Wimbledon champions, also gave the thumbs-up to Federer's idea.

So did Billie Jean King, the American great who founded the WTA in 1973 and tried unsuccessfully to unite the men's and women's tours in that decade.

"I agree, and have been saying so since the early 1970s. One voice, women and men together, has long been my vision for tennis," King tweeted in reply to Federer. "The WTA on its own was always Plan B. I'm glad we are on the same page. Let's make it happen."

The professional era in tennis started in 1968, and the ATP was founded in 1972 and has run the men's game since. The WTA united the women's professional game into one tour.

Federer emphasized he was "not talking about merging competition on the court," but rather the two governing bodies.

Go Federer!!

ESPN: Roger Federer ranked by Forbes as sports' top earner at $106 million

Roger Federer has taken over as the highest-paid athlete in Forbes' annual earnings report, topping Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, who have held the No. 1 spot in three of the past four years.

Federer earned $106 million pre-tax, edging out Ronaldo by about $1 million to take over No. 1.

According to the report, Federer is the first tennis player in Forbes' 30-year history of ranking athlete earnings to land at No. 1. A big part of his incoming cash came off the court, as Federer made $100 million in endorsement deals from Uniqlo, Credit Suisse, Mercedes-Benz and 10 other partners.

Go Federer!!

Serena Williams says she'll play in the 2020 US Open

Serena Williams says she will play in this year's US Open tennis tournament.

The 23-time Grand Slam champion announced her intentions in a taped video message revealed Wednesday by the USTA.

"I really cannot wait to return in New York and play the US Open 2020," said Williams, 38. "I feel like the USTA is going to do a really good job of ensuring everything is amazing and everything is perfect and everyone is safe. It's going to be exciting. It's been over six months since a lot of us have played professional tennis.

"I'll certainly miss the fans, don't get me wrong, just being out there and that New York crowd and hearing everyone cheer," the six-time US Open champion said. "I'll really miss that getting me through some of those tough matches. This is crazy. I'm excited."

Go Serena!!

As a huge Arthur Ashe fan, this news is fantastic! Combined with the Will Smith movie about Serena and Venus, tennis will have two major motion pictures coming out.

Arthur Ashe Biopic in the Works From 'Da 5 Bloods' Writer, Hyde Park Entertainment

Ashok Amritraj's Hyde Park Entertainment, Warner Music Group and BlacKkKlansman co-writer Kevin Willmott have teamed for a biopic on Arthur Ashe, a civil rights activist and the only Black man to have won the men's singles title at Wimbledon, the US Open and the Australian Open.

Oscar winner Willmott, a frequent collaborator of Spike Lee and co-writer of the filmmaker's latest, Da 5 Bloods, will pen the screenplay. Amritraj will produce for Hyde Park with Warner Music Group’s Charles Cohen.

Music from Ashe’s era will be a key component of the drama, which has the backing of Ashe’s estate. Works from iconic Black artists such as Aretha Franklin, Prince and Curtis Mayfield will be highlighted, with Warner Music Group to play a role in securing the song rights and providing creative guidance.

“Arthur’s legacy reaches far beyond his greatness as a tennis player,” said Amritraj, himself a former tennis pro and brother of Vijay, a quarter-finalist at Wimbledon. “Always a gentleman; bold, graceful, and intellectual, while at the same time passionate in his fight against racial inequality and injustice.”

Ashe's US Open win in 1968 occurred against a tumultuous backdrop that included the assassinations of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr., anti-Vietnam protests, and the civil rights movement. On top of his groundbreaking sporting achievements and civil rights work in America, Ashe fought against South Africa’s apartheid system in the 1970s and 1980s, even getting arrested at a protest in Washington, D.C.

Ashe became an AIDS activist in the late 1980s after contracting HIV through blood transfusions related to heart surgery. He died from AIDS-related pneumonia in 1993 at the age of 49.

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

Top-ranked tennis player Novak Djokovic announced Tuesday that he and his wife have COVID-19 after he played in a series of exhibition matches he organized in Serbia and Croatia with zero social distancing amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Djokovic -- who stands third in the history of men's tennis with 17 Grand Slam titles -- is the fourth player to test positive for the illness after participating in the matches held in Belgrade and Zadar, Croatia.

The others were three-time Grand Slam semifinalist Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki.

"Unfortunately, this virus is still present, and it is a new reality that we are still learning to cope and live with. I am hoping things will ease with time so we can all resume lives the way they were," Djokovic said in a statement released Tuesday. "I am extremely sorry for each individual case of infection. I hope that it will not complicate anyone's health situation and that everyone will be fine."

Djokovic has been in the news frequently in connection to the COVID-19 outbreak, which led to the suspension of the ATP and WTA professional tennis tours in March. Plans were announced last week for the sport's sanctioned events to return in August.

In April, he was criticized for saying he would not want to take a vaccine for the virus in order to be able to compete, even if it were mandatory for travel.

Go Federer!!

I have to give Wimbledon a round of applause.

Today the All-England Tennis Club announced that the prize pool for the 2020 Wimbledon championships is going to be distributed to the top 620 players in the rankings who would have qualified for direct acceptance into either the main or qualifying draw, both singles and doubles. What a move.

I have to give Wimbledon a round of applause.

Today the All-England Tennis Club announced that the prize pool for the 2020 Wimbledon championships is going to be distributed to the top 620 players in the rankings who would have qualified for direct acceptance into either the main or qualifying draw, both singles and doubles. What a move.

This is really impressive of Wimbledon. For the players sub-75, this is huge for them.

Per ESPN:

Here's how players will be paid:

256 players who would have competed in Main Draw Singles will each receive £25,000 ($31,576) 224 players who would have competed in Qualifying will each receive £12,500 ($15,788) 120 players who would have competed in Main Draw Doubles will each receive £6,250 ($7,894) 16 players who would have competed in the Wheelchair events will each receive £6,000 ($7,578) Four players who would have competed in the Quad Wheelchair events will each receive £5,000 ($6,315)

Go Wimbledon!!

Jack Sock won his first Grand Slam singles match since 2018 with a first round, 5 set win today!!

Unfortunately Coco got bounced, although she played a ranked player and played her tough.

Go USA!!

Woah! Djoker disqualified for hitting line judge with a ball. He injured his shoulder a few minutes before and I wasn't sure he would even keep playing. After that he angrily slammed a ball into the side and got a way with. Shortly after that a point finished, he took a ball out his pocket and without looking, hit it towards the back and hit a line judge right in the throat.

Clearly he wasn't as angry as the first time and obviously he didn't mean to do it but they had to DQ him.

Well, the road is now wide open for Zverev, Medvedev and others to break through.

Woah! Djoker disqualified for hitting line judge with a ball. He injured his shoulder a few minutes before and I wasn't sure he would even keep playing. After that he angrily slammed a ball into the side and got a way with. Shortly after that a point finished, he took a ball out his pocket and without looking, hit it towards the back and hit a line judge right in the throat.

Clearly he wasn't as angry as the first time and obviously he didn't mean to do it but they had to DQ him.

Well, the road is now wide open for Zverev, Medvedev and others to break through.
That was a shocker to watch in real time.

I'm cheering for Berrettini, Thiem, or Tiafoe to take this down now.

Crazy situation with Novak. Clearly accidental, but incredibly careless. I was disappointed that he didn't address the media afterwards, that won't help with his already edgy personality.

I'd LOVE it if Tiafoe could take advantage but he still has a tough road ahead. It is great to see him get a five-set win as he's struggled in those. Sure wish there were more American men getting through to the 4th round, it's getting fewer and fewer.

The women's side could have up to 4 American's in the Quarters. Really nice to see Brady and Rogers get career best wins yesterday.

Go USA!!

Serena's match today was pretty entertaining. I'm a pretty casual fan so I was not familiar with Maria Sakkari before this tourney. She played pretty aggressive and really made Serena work for the 3 set win.

Top Bottom