2020 Schedule

I like the schedule. Glad we play Iowa and Wisconsin earlier in the year. Also happy we get a chance at the Little Brown Jug.

The sad part is we have to wait so long ?

Looks like 10 wins should be the baseline

Looks like a should-be 8 wins, with a decent chance at 10. As of today I’d call it a 9-3 regular season.

Not sure I like the buy so late in the season. I do like playing IA early seems like they always get better as the season goes on.

Not sure I like the buy so late in the season. I do like playing IA early seems like they always get better as the season goes on.

And with them breaking in a new QB. WI and MI will be losing quite a bit. I like our chances in all 3.

Iowa in Sept and Wisc in early Oct is weird! Back half looks like an easy way to build momentum for a run!

So will the Thanksgiving Rivalry week no longer be a thing? We've been playing WI the last week for like six years+?

So will the Thanksgiving Rivalry week no longer be a thing? We've been playing WI the last week for like six years+?
Looks like we play Nebraska on Black Friday the next 2 years. We should end with Iowa or Wisconsin. I don't know why it was changed.

SP+ says we would probably win 11 games against that schedule if we played those teams this year w/ a floor of 9 and a ceiling of 12.

This doesn't include off-season adjustments for recruiting rankings, recent success, etc., but interesting nonetheless.

If Winfield comes back then this team should be a contender next Fall.

SP+ says we would probably win 11 games against that schedule if we played those teams this year w/ a floor of 9 and a ceiling of 12.

This doesn't include off-season adjustments for recruiting rankings, recent success, etc., but interesting nonetheless.

If Winfield comes back then this team should be a contender next Fall.
I thought we played the easiest schedule of all time and no way they could possibly improve. Which one is it?

I thought we played the easiest schedule of all time and no way they could possibly improve. Which one is it?

Next year's schedule is way more difficult than this year's schedule, but the Gophers are a better team right now than they were expected to be at the beginning of last season.

I most certainly didn't say there was no way they could improve. I did say that Fleck failed this year, and I don't think he would disagree with that.

If Fleck wants to compete for national championships then he shouldn't be getting blown out by Wisconsin at home w/ a B1G title game on the line.

I'm also not well-versed enough in SP+ to predict what's going to happen to Minnesota's SP+ rating over the summer, but I imagine it will nosedive given Minnesota's below average recruiting and lack of recent success.

Next year's schedule is way more difficult than this year's schedule, but the Gophers are a better team right now than they were expected to be at the beginning of last season.

I most certainly didn't say there was no way they could improve. I did say that Fleck failed this year, and I don't think he would disagree with that.

If Fleck wants to compete for national championships then he shouldn't be getting blown out by Wisconsin at home w/ a B1G title game on the line.

I'm also not well-versed enough in SP+ to predict what's going to happen to Minnesota's SP+ rating over the summer, but I imagine it will nosedive given Minnesota's below average recruiting and lack of recent success.
How is next years any tougher? We replace Penn State with Michigan and Rutgers with Michigan State. Michigan State was probably playing like the 3rd worst team in the conference for more than half the season. And Penn State and Michigan are very comparable. I don't think it's smart to compare non conference opponents because some teams clearly get worse like Fresno State. Sure Purdue, NW, and Nebraska could get better or they all could get worse and fire their coaches for all we know.

I am excited to see our offense break some more records against this schedule next year.

How is next years any tougher? We replace Penn State with Michigan and Rutgers with Michigan State. Michigan State was probably playing like the 3rd worst team in the conference for more than half the season. And Penn State and Michigan are very comparable. I don't think it's smart to compare non conference opponents because some teams clearly get worse like Fresno State. Sure Purdue, NW, and Nebraska could get better or they all could get worse and fire their coaches for all we know.

From a pure SP+ perspective:

Michigan state is +7.6 and would be favored against Rutgers by 21 on a neutral field.
They beat Rutgers 27-0 this season.

We had a 100% chance of beating Rutgers this year. I said that before the season started. Rutgers was a guaranteed win.

We would not have a 100% chance of beating MSU this year. We definitely won't next year if this was truly a rebuilding year for them.

Playing Rutgers is basically adding a really crappy OOC conference team to the schedule. It's a huge advantage.

Gophers should be considered favorites in 10 out of 12 games - bare minimum.

That said, Gophers could end up being favorites in those games as well depending on how the season starts to shape up. Wisconsin and Michigan are not sure bets to remain as top 15 teams.

Looks like a should-be 8 wins, with a decent chance at 10. As of today I’d call it a 9-3 regular season.

We will be replacing ~8 starters on D, but only lose TJ, Brooks and Smith on O (this assumes that the latter two don’t get a seventh year of eligibility). Hopefully we can get a grad transfer on D that can make an immediate impact. 9 wins would be a good season.

8 starters on the D? I hadn't thought about it. Who all is gone?

This schedule is a cakewalk. Our hardest game is Badgers away. I see another 10-2 season. Losses @Wisc and Michigan.

We will be replacing ~8 starters on D, but only lose TJ, Brooks and Smith on O (this assumes that the latter two don’t get a seventh year of eligibility). Hopefully we can get a grad transfer on D that can make an immediate impact. 9 wins would be a good season.
I don’t think 8 is accurate. Assuming AWJr is declaring, I count 7.

Offense should be really good next season (even with a couple of question marks) but idk how anyone could feel confident enough in our defense at this point to predict 10 wins. They weren’t very good at all against offenses with a pulse, and we lose the vast majority of our proven talent. Not saying that the new guys won’t end up being good, but it’s hard to imagine how our defense doesn’t take a step back next year.

Great schedule. I think MSU and Illinois have traded places. Problem at the end of the schedule, no good team to beat and move up. Preseason poll and schedule will mean a lot.

Great schedule. I think MSU and Illinois have traded places. Problem at the end of the schedule, no good team to beat and move up. Preseason poll and schedule will mean a lot.
Winning games against anybody at the end of the schedule moves you up.
Losing games moves you down.

Iowa and WI early will be weird.

Nebraska on Black Friday will be interesting. Who knows if they are turning it around by then or if they are ready to walk Frost out.

The reason for the change on Thanksgiving is they wanted MN, Iowa, WIS, and Nebby to all have chances at rivalry games with each other during the final week. I think Iowa rotates in again as the final game after Nebby.
I'm fine with it.

Winning games against anybody at the end of the schedule moves you up.
Losing games moves you down.
I think he meant from a CFP standpoint.
If you are outside the top 10 and you don't have a top 20 ranked team to play, you might not move up as far.
Although Baylor shot up last week without beating anyone important.

Bottom line I think is hope your conference doesn't suck like the ACC this year and then go ahead an try to win all, worst case lose one and then gain an extra win in a Big Ten title if you make it that far.

That’s exactly what I meant. Beating a ranked team at the end will matter.

Yes I do. I think if you can play at the top of the west next year and we will, that will put us in the conversation. We have to find a way to beat Iowa and Wisconsin.

Top Bottom