2020-2021 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Will they get to twenty wins this season. This team looks entirely inept. But at least they are taking and missing 3’s as opposed to taking and missing long 2’s. Plus the culture is so much better than before.

plus this is a better draft and their pick goes to golden state if it’s not in the top 3.

I am hoping the twolves take the George Costanza approach to life and do the opposite. Wanna sign player X to an extension, do the opposite and don’t do it.

I watched about a third of the game last night and I kept telling myself, "It's only preseason. It's only preseason." In fairness, Memphis is better than I thought. The truth is the wolves look nothing other than terrible at the moment. Rosas is selling this image of a whip smart front office. What I see is an organization that leads the league in transactions, has no draft picks heading into the 2021 draft, the best draft in a decade and has assembled a roster that is short, slow, can't shoot, doesn't move the ball and laughs at the idea of playing defense.

I once opined that Adrian Peterson couldn't turn the corner after watching him in one preseason game. I'd love to be that wrong again based on a preseason observation.

Like I said before...time to trade Towns and Russell and start over again sadly.

Jon K with a pretty decent summary of the first two games in The Athletic this morning.

- Towns is back but still isn't "back" after dealing with all of his family losses and tragedy
- Hollis-Jefferson has been a very pleasant surprise
- Culver is coming along a little bit this preseason
- Ant Edwards looked a little better and more aggressive last night than the first game
- Defense still terrible through 2 games

Jammer is definitely right, Memphis is going to be a really good team this year and will be more ready when the real action starts for Game 1 than the Wolves probably

Culver made a great, smooth play in the first half. A thing of beauty. I started thinking that maybe I have been too hard on him all this time. Then the 2nd half came and I watched him clumsily try the same move and get stuffed by someone named Sean Mcdermott. It was brutal.

Ant is not shy. I will give him that. Not sure that is going to be a good thing this year or not.

Flip Jr. is a not the guy to turn this around. I wish he was, but he isn't. There is zero defense being taught. It is pretty obvious.

Rubio should start. Beasley should not.

Culver made a great, smooth play in the first half. A thing of beauty. I started thinking that maybe I have been too hard on him all this time. Then the 2nd half came and I watched him clumsily try the same move and get stuffed by someone named Sean Mcdermott. It was brutal.

Ant is not shy. I will give him that. Not sure that is going to be a good thing this year or not.

Flip Jr. is a not the guy to turn this around. I wish he was, but he isn't. There is zero defense being taught. It is pretty obvious.

Rubio should start. Beasley should not.
Was it the play where he went to the hoop along the baseline but didn't finish (of course), but made both free throws( hallelujah)? If so, I was thinking the same thing.

I think you are right about Ryan. And I wish it weren't so. A few days ago the Wolves media dept released a 15-20 second video of the players horsing around at center court and Ryan was in there horsing around with them. I didn't think it was a good look. In today's NBA, the coach can't get away with being an aloof autocrat. He also can't be the players' buddy. Especially if he's 5'9", then he's the players' little buddy. Size does matter, as does how much you've actually played the game. Ryan knows his x's an o's, but that's the easiest part of it. He hasn't done enough yet to earn respect.

I'm not sure what they will do about Rubio. I was really surprised at how slow he looked. I'm hoping that it's because it's preseason and he's taking it very easy.

Was it the play where he went to the hoop along the baseline but didn't finish (of course), but made both free throws( hallelujah)? If so, I was thinking the same thing.

It was actually the play where got in the middle with a behind the back dribble and a nice floater. Everything looked smooth and clean. First time I have seen him do anything close to that. He is usually a herky-jerky type of player (which is a bad sign).

He did hit a 3 smoothly and those free throws you mentioned. Baby steps.

I still think he is closer to a busted trade/pick than a quality starter, but he is much more likable than Beasley.

The Wolves looked brutal last night, but I'll reserve judgement for when the season starts.

I think this is a make or break year for Towns. You know he'll put up elite offensive numbers, but can he toughen up enough to play defense and be a leader on a winning team? I have my doubts.

And if they were to move on from Towns, not doing it before the season sets them back even more, because Wiseman should have been the #1 pick.

Wanted Wiseman myself, but bet he's much happier to be playing in San Fransisco. ;)

Speaking of California wonder when the National talk about Giannis going to the Lakers, Clippers or Warriors is going to end? Or maybe to Miami or even the Knicks!

Bet even this news won't shut them up.

"Back-to-back NBA MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo has committed to the Milwaukee Bucks long-term.

Antetokounmpo's agent, Alex Saratsis, told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski that it will be for the full five-year, $228 million supermax, including an opt-out after the fourth year.

"This is my home, this is my city," Antetokounmpo posted on Twitter and Instagram on Tuesday. "I'm blessed to be able to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."

Wanted Wiseman myself, but bet he's much happier to be playing in San Fransisco. ;)

Speaking of California wonder when the National talk about Giannis going to the Lakers, Clippers or Warriors is going to end? Or maybe to Miami or even the Knicks!

"Back-to-back NBA MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo has committed to the Milwaukee Bucks long-term.

Antetokounmpo's agent, Alex Saratsis, told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski that it will be for the full five-year, $228 million supermax, including an opt-out after the fourth year.

"This is my home, this is my city," Antetokounmpo posted on Twitter and Instagram on Tuesday. "I'm blessed to be able to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."

Watching the Greek Freak makes me feel like evolution has left me behind.

And yes, glad to see him stay. While I understand the major market/warm weather talk I get absolutely sick of hearing the talking heads and fans talking about those cities as deserving of every FA.

It was actually the play where got in the middle with a behind the back dribble and a nice floater. Everything looked smooth and clean. First time I have seen him do anything close to that. He is usually a herky-jerky type of player (which is a bad sign).

He did hit a 3 smoothly and those free throws you mentioned. Baby steps.

I still think he is closer to a busted trade/pick than a quality starter, but he is much more likable than Beasley.

Our whip smart front office has made a huge mistake with Beasley. The red flags were there before they traded for him. Rosas should have classified Beasley for what he is, which is a sunk cost. They should have let Thibs have him.

Didn't see the Culver play. Was probably the highlight of the game.

When is the first article written regarding the tight window that the Bucks have to capitalize on The Greek Freak's prime before he heads to the Lakers, Heat, or Warriors? Before the regular season begins?

When is the first article written regarding the tight window that the Bucks have to capitalize on The Greek Freak's prime before he heads to the Lakers, Heat, or Warriors? Before the regular season begins?
:drink:

Sure Jimmy-I believe you that you're happy Giannis re-upped with the Bucks for the competition, not because he would have usurped you as the #1 option had he signed with the Heat after this season:

From cbs sports.com:
On some level, this must disappoint the team, but its superstar is just fine with the move. Jimmy Butler congratulated Giannis on his new deal and expressed excitement at the idea of battling him in the playoffs again.

"I like it," Butler said. "I don't think you can go around him.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson making an impression on Wolves

It was after the Timberwolves' 123-104 loss to the Grizzlies and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson was still on the floor as the Target Center arena workers were starting to shut everything down for the night.

Hollis-Jefferson, the forward who signed a training camp deal, made the most of what time the Wolves gave him Monday night — 17 points on 6 of 6 shooting plus three rebounds, two steals and two blocks.

But Hollis-Jefferson wasn't resting on his laurels for the evening. He was out on the floor with a few other young players and coaches getting up some extra shots.

On an otherwise dreary night for the Wolves as they try to shake off the rust from an extended, distressing offseason due in large part to coronavirus, Hollis-Jefferson was a bright spot. He provided multiple commendable defensive plays and injected some energy on the offensive end.

"I'm a competitor at the end of the day," Hollis-Jefferson said. "Anytime I come out and compete it shows with how I play, the energy. I feel like everything else will naturally come when the time is right. I'm definitely looking forward to being out there competing in the regular season."

Howl Wolves!!

Glen tied for 5th worst owner, with Dan Gilbert, getting 4 points each. Ownership of the Kings led with 23.5. then the Suns at 23, followed by my personal favorite James Dolan at 21.

The Athletic surveyed 31 people around the NBA — 13 executives, 10 front office personnel, six scouts and two coaches — and asked them to cast their votes for the best and worst team owners

It was after the Timberwolves' 123-104 loss to the Grizzlies and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson was still on the floor as the Target Center arena workers were starting to shut everything down for the night.

Hollis-Jefferson, the forward who signed a training camp deal, made the most of what time the Wolves gave him Monday night — 17 points on 6 of 6 shooting plus three rebounds, two steals and two blocks.

But Hollis-Jefferson wasn't resting on his laurels for the evening. He was out on the floor with a few other young players and coaches getting up some extra shots.

On an otherwise dreary night for the Wolves as they try to shake off the rust from an extended, distressing offseason due in large part to coronavirus, Hollis-Jefferson was a bright spot. He provided multiple commendable defensive plays and injected some energy on the offensive end.

"I'm a competitor at the end of the day," Hollis-Jefferson said. "Anytime I come out and compete it shows with how I play, the energy. I feel like everything else will naturally come when the time is right. I'm definitely looking forward to being out there competing in the regular season."

Howl Wolves!!

RHJ isnt a team savior. But you need glue guys like him. Prima donnas like Towns and Russell arent taking this team anywhere

Glen tied for 5th worst owner, with Dan Gilbert, getting 4 points each. Ownership of the Kings led with 23.5. then the Suns at 23, followed by my personal favorite James Dolan at 21.

The Athletic surveyed 31 people around the NBA — 13 executives, 10 front office personnel, six scouts and two coaches — and asked them to cast their votes for the best and worst team owners

I saw this earlier this morning and would have posted something if they had a short write-up on old Glen like they did for the top 3 or so best and worst. I was hoping for a little more embellishment and commentary on Taylor, but not surprised he squeaked his way into the top 5 worst

I saw this earlier this morning and would have posted something if they had a short write-up on old Glen like they did for the top 3 or so best and worst. I was hoping for a little more embellishment and commentary on Taylor, but not surprised he squeaked his way into the top 5 worst

Don't follow the Kings but can't see how he could be worse than Dolan. Or that far ahead of Taylor. No, scratch that. Agents were involved in the votings. The ones quoted all talked about, and seemed to make their decisions dependent upon whether an owner was spending enough money.

Dolan does. Guessing Ranadivé doesn't.

Dolan and Taylor are still 1-2 for me.

Wonder if KAT will or can get past this in 2021? His grief must be beyond normal comprehension.

Asked by Star Tribune beat writer Chris Hine if basketball could again be therapy for the troubles in his life, as he once said it was, KAT clapped back.

“I play this game more because I just love watching my family members seeing me play a game I was very good and successful at,” he said. “It always brought a smile for me when I saw my mom at the baseline and in the stands having a good time watching me play. It is going to be hard to play. It is going to be difficult to say this is therapy. I don’t think this will ever be therapy for me again.”..

One step at a time
In many ways, Karl-Anthony Towns is not a young man anymore. He is a two-time All-Star entering the second season of a five-year maximum contract, his reputation blemished by whispers about leadership, toughness, and diligence on defense. Like the rest of us he is surrounded by masks, social distances, empty arenas, spiraling case counts, and breathless reports of when vaccines can be made available. Unlike the vast majority of us, these are all reminders of the deep concussion of the soul that will affect his performance to varying degrees in the weeks and months ahead.

On and off the basketball court, progress is made one step at a time. The hope and, theoretically at least, the plan, is to take more steps forward than you do backward.

Howl Wolves!!

Must not have been a big enough impression.

"The Wolves made a few roster moves Saturday — the most notable being waiving Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, a source said.

Hollis-Jefferson, who had signed a training camp contract, had impressed in the preseason. The move comes as a bit of surprise given how Hollis-Jefferson had played, but the Wolves wanted to maintain roster flexibility with an open slot to make trades in the future. Cutting Hollis-Jefferson allows them to do that while not counting a salary toward the luxury tax threshold that the Wolves are near.."

Don't follow the Kings but can't see how he could be worse than Dolan. Or that far ahead of Taylor. No, scratch that. Agents were involved in the votings. The ones quoted all talked about, and seemed to make their decisions dependent upon whether an owner was spending enough money.

Dolan does. Guessing Ranadivé doesn't.

Dolan and Taylor are still 1-2 for me.
Taylor has generally been willing to spend money and it doesn't appear that he meddles. His two biggest weaknesses are consistently poor hires and he has a reputation among the players for being, at best, tone deaf on race issues.

Must not have been a big enough impression.

"The Wolves made a few roster moves Saturday — the most notable being waiving Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, a source said.

Hollis-Jefferson, who had signed a training camp contract, had impressed in the preseason. The move comes as a bit of surprise given how Hollis-Jefferson had played, but the Wolves wanted to maintain roster flexibility with an open slot to make trades in the future. Cutting Hollis-Jefferson allows them to do that while not counting a salary toward the luxury tax threshold that the Wolves are near.."

Very disappointing as he is easily the best PF on the team. Easily since he is the only one who knows how to play defense at this time.

Taylor has generally been willing to spend money and it doesn't appear that he meddles. His two biggest weaknesses are consistently poor hires and he has a reputation among the players for being, at best, tone deaf on race issues.

Was trying to figure out why Ranadivé was so close to Dolan, who many assume is far and away the worst owner. Or so far ahead of Taylor as the worst owner.

I mentioned agents and spending that since Dolan and Taylor do spend money, agents wouldn't be so hard on them.

Last edited:

Minnesota Timberwolves shooting guard Malik Beasley has pleaded guilty to a felony charge of threats of violence related to a September incident in which he was arrested, his attorney, Steven Haney, confirmed to ESPN on Monday.

Haney said Beasley, 24, won't have to serve jail time or home confinement until after the 2020-21 NBA season. His sentence will not exceed 120 days. If Beasley successfully completes probation, his threat of violence charge will be reduced to a misdemeanor, according to Haney.

As part of the plea, a felony drug charge was dismissed

"This resolution will allow Malik to play the 2020-2021 NBA season and work on becoming the player and person we know he can be," Haney told ESPN..

Minnesota Timberwolves shooting guard Malik Beasley has pleaded guilty to a felony charge of threats of violence related to a September incident in which he was arrested, his attorney, Steven Haney, confirmed to ESPN on Monday.

Haney said Beasley, 24, won't have to serve jail time or home confinement until after the 2020-21 NBA season. His sentence will not exceed 120 days. If Beasley successfully completes probation, his threat of violence charge will be reduced to a misdemeanor, according to Haney.

As part of the plea, a felony drug charge was dismissed

"This resolution will allow Malik to play the 2020-2021 NBA season and work on becoming the player and person we know he can be," Haney told ESPN..

Atta boy, Malik! This deal was obviously agreed upon with the prosecution a few weeks ago.

At least he won't have to think about that lingering over his head all season long.

Chip: Timberwolves transformation needs to include defense, starting with Karl-Anthony Towns

This new regime clearly has no qualms about shaking things up, but the Wolves will not become credible or relevant until they make a real commitment to doing more than jack up three-pointers.

You know, like playing defense.

That applies both collectively and individually, starting with their franchise player, Karl-Anthony Towns, a wondrous talent who has in his five NBA seasons treated defense as an afterthought.

"At the end of the day, it's defensive integrity," coach Ryan Saunders said about the need for overall improvement. "Knowing that it really has to matter if you want to be a good team in this league, especially in the West."

Love that phrase. Defensive integrity. Playing defense against the best players in the world on a nightly basis cannot be halfhearted. Or some of the time. Or with only one or two guys who are committed.

Time will tell if Rosas' implementation of this new offensive identity built around spacing and three-point efficiency will produce desired results. But right now offense isn't their problem. If players don't give the same attention and effort to defense, what's the point? Nothing will change. They will remain one of the league's worst teams.

Since Kevin Garnett's departure, the organization consistently has ranked in the bottom half of the league in defensive rating and points allowed. They have occasionally ranked dead last. They finished 28th in scoring defense last season at 117.5 points per game.

This is not a new problem.

Howl Wolves!!

Juancho Hernangomez trying to write his own script with Wolves

When the Timberwolves had individual voluntary workouts in September, Juancho Hernangomez wasn't there.

He had another commitment he couldn't quite cancel. Hernangomez was in Philadelphia snagging a role in Adam Sandler's latest movie "Hustle."

The plot revolves around a basketball scout searching for talent overseas, and Hernangomez, hailing from Spain, fit the casting description of a talented overseas basketball player.

"He didn't realize when he signed up for the movie that we were going to have the bubble," President Gersson Rosas said of those individual workouts. So while his teammates were in Minnesota going through their paces, Hernangomez was trying to sneak in as much work as he could before filming every day.

"Adam is a great guy. He's so funny," Hernangomez said. "We had fun in Philadelphia. … Thanks to Minnesota for letting me do that. It was a great experience. It was a great opportunity for me."

Howl Wolves!!

The jury may still be out on Rosas, but dumping a below average SF in the 2nd of year of a max contract Andrew Wiggins for D'Angelo Russell and a 1st round draft pick was a coup. He continues to have no energy and does nothing well.

The jury may still be out on Rosas, but dumping a below average SF in the 2nd of year of a max contract Andrew Wiggins for D'Angelo Russell and a 1st round draft pick was a coup. He continues to have no energy and does nothing well.
Not sure if you had the 1st round pick wrong but the Wolves traded Wiggins and a 1-3 protected pick for Russell and fillers. 100% worth it. Wiggins is still the worst overall player in the league imo.

Top Bottom