2020-2021 Lineup Breakdown

chri1673

Reaction score
I am getting bored with no sports. So with the lineup seemingly set for next year’s team lets break down next year’s team. Assuming everyone is immediately eligible, Carr returns, limited injuries.

Returning: Carr, Curry, Freeman, Greenlee, Inhen, Kalscheur, Omersa, Williams, Conroy
Recruits: Mashburn Jr., Mitchell
Transfer in: Robbins, Johnson, Peterson
Departures: Oturo, Demir, Hurt, Rudrud, Willis

My first shot at the minute’s breakdown:
PG: Carr (32), Mashburn Jr. (8)
SG: Kalscheur (30) Mashburn Jr. (8) Williams (4)
F: Inhen (15) Peterson (20), Williams (5),
F: Johnson (28), Inhen (8), Omersa (4)
C: Robbins (25), Curry (10), Mitchell (5)
Mop up: Greenlee, Freeman, Conroy

Player by Player
  • Carr: Assuming he returns. Look to improve his all-around shooting efficiency and continue to distribute (dribble less) will play all the minutes he can handle.
  • Kalscheur: Need to get back to shooting over 40% from deep, keep defending at a high level, get to the foul line more.
  • Curry: Real wildcard, hopefully at minimum he can provide 8-10 backup minutes at center.
  • Freeman: Tough to envision him getting into the rotation unless Curry just cant go.
  • Greenlee: w/o injury or Carr departure i dont see many minutes for him.
  • Inhen: Hard to keep him off the court if he continues to shoot the 3 how he did towards the end of the season, hope he continues to improve the rest of his game. Hope he adds something to his offensive game. Could make a jump.
  • Omersa: I think he will find 4-6 minutes a game maybe more depending on Curry’s health. Looks to be getting passed up on this roster otherwise.
  • Williams: Looked solid when he got extended run. Did not really look like he knew what his role was offensively, hopefully as that becomes clearly defined it leads to increased shooting efficiencies. Looks like he has the tools to contribute on both ends of the court. Could surprise and get more minutes just not sure where they come from.
  • Mashburn Jr:, Looks like he can score and shoot it well. Hopefully, his ball handling is good enough to spell Carr and Gabe for 10-12 minutes each. Everything I have read point to him being a plus defender.
  • Mitchell: Don’t know too much about him. Seeing his build and limited highlight videos all im hoping for is something similar to what Inhen had this year; getting bigger and keep developing.
  • Robbins: Looks to be locked into the starting role. Looking to continue his upward trend and grow into a potential NBA caliber player.
  • Johnson: Also looks to be locked into starting. Limited videos on him seems like your prototypical high energy 4 man, good rebounder and gets to the rim. Gets to the FT line quite a bit shoots ~74%.
  • Peterson: Looks to be a versatile wing player that we were lacking this year. Got to the line a fair bit shot 82%. If he can shoot anywhere mid 30's or better from 3 I could see him eating into some of Inhens and therefore Johnson’s minutes as the season progresses.
  • Conroy: Will be there.
Hard to envision a world where Carr and Gabe don’t get 30+ minutes a night, but would hope to get Mashburn more time. Lots of bodies at the 3-4 interesting to see how that shakes out, Inhen is the one starter I would be the most hesitant on. Offensively I am hoping for more motion and less carr dribbling; with the additions of Mashburn and the 3 transfers i think we should have more options to create for themselves if needed. Still not sure where scoring will come against defensively sound teams. Defensively we have a ton of length and versatility, I think we could see marked improvement there. All said, lots of hopefullies, could be’s, wildcards, and potential eligibility issues but this is the time of the year for that. This seems like a team that should have more depth than we are used to. Will be fun to watch the year play out and see what this team turns into. Not sure I am ready to give a season projection yet but my outlook defnietly looks more upbeat.

I am getting bored with no sports. So with the lineup seemingly set for next year’s team lets break down next year’s team. Assuming everyone is immediately eligible, Carr returns, limited injuries.

Returning: Carr, Curry, Freeman, Greenlee, Inhen, Kalscheur, Omersa, Williams, Conroy

Player by Player
  • Carr: Assuming he returns. Look to improve his all-around shooting efficiency and continue to distribute (dribble less) will play all the minutes he can handle.
  • Kalscheur: Need to get back to shooting over 40% from deep, keep defending at a high level, get to the foul line more.
  • Curry: Real wildcard, hopefully at minimum he can provide 8-10 backup minutes at center.
  • Freeman: Tough to envision him getting into the rotation unless Curry just cant go.
  • Inhen: Hard to keep him off the court if he continues to shoot the 3 how he did towards the end of the season, hope he continues to improve the rest of his game. Hope he adds something to his offensive game. Could make a jump.
  • Omersa: I think he will find 4-6 minutes a game maybe more depending on Curry’s health. Looks to be getting passed up on this roster otherwise.
  • Williams: Looked solid when he got extended run. Did not really look like he knew what his role was offensively, hopefully as that becomes clearly defined it leads to increased shooting efficiencies. Looks like he has the tools to contribute on both ends of the court. Could surprise and get more minutes just not sure where they come from.
  • Mashburn Jr:, Looks like he can score and shoot it well. Hopefully, his ball handling is good enough to spell Carr and Gabe for 10-12 minutes each. Everything I have read point to him being a plus defender.
  • Mitchell: Don’t know too much about him. Seeing his build and limited highlight videos all im hoping for is something similar to what Inhen had this year; getting bigger and keep developing.
  • Robbins: Looks to be locked into the starting role. Looking to continue his upward trend and grow into a potential NBA caliber player.
  • Johnson: Also looks to be locked into starting. Limited videos on him seems like your prototypical high energy 4 man, good rebounder and gets to the rim. Gets to the FT line quite a bit shoots ~74%.
  • Peterson: Looks to be a versatile wing player that we were lacking this year. Got to the line a fair bit shot 82%. If he can shoot anywhere mid 30's or better from 3 I could see him eating into some of Inhens and therefore Johnson’s minutes as the season progresses.
Hard to envision a world where Carr and Gabe don’t get 30+ minutes a night, but would hope to get Mashburn more time. Lots of bodies at the 3-4 interesting to see how that shakes out, Inhen is the one starter I would be the most hesitant on. Offensively I am hoping for more motion and less carr dribbling; with the additions of Mashburn and the 3 transfers i think we should have more options to create for themselves if needed. Still not sure where scoring will come against defensively sound teams. Defensively we have a ton of length and versatility, I think we could see marked improvement there. All said, lots of hopefullies, could be’s, wildcards, and potential eligibility issues but this is the time of the year for that. This seems like a team that should have more depth than we are used to. Will be fun to watch the year play out and see what this team turns into. Not sure I am ready to give a season projection yet but my outlook definitely looks more upbeat.
The big opportunity is to be better defensively next year, versus last year's team. Robbins will block shots right with Oturu or maybe better, Johnson sounds like a much more physical player than Demir and we have added a lot of depth and length on the perimeter.

If they are all eligible and healthy the scoring is interesting:
Robbins 12
Johnson 11
Ihnen 9
Gabe 12
Carr 15

Bench
Peterson 9
Mashburn 7
Curry 4
Others 4

I am having a hard time limiting scoring here because there are a lot of guys that could be double figures scorers here - even including Peterson, Mashburn and Curry

If all are healthy practices should be very, very competitive...making everyone better as they all compete for minutes.

Last edited:

I think you are too high on all the tranfers. Peterson scored 11 a game for a bad CUSA team, 9 seems pretty high. I think he's more in the 8-10 min a game and I hope Williams takes a little jump plays in the 20 range. You get 9 from Robbins, 7-8 from Johnson and 6 from peterson thats better than last year. But I would bump up Ihnen and Tre

I'm expecting Freeman to play more than Mitchell. I'm not expecting Curry to play at all. Center is going to be thin.
Not expecting Curry to play at Center?

They're hoping that him losing weight will be the trick to avoiding injury.

Saying you will get more defensively from Johnson than Demir is an understatement. Demir moves like Frankenstein compared to Johnson.

Yes, but Demir was smart and pretty good positionally. He wasn't a stalwart but he was serviceable. Just cause you're athletic doesn't mean you defend well.

Player by Player
Hard to envision a world where Carr and Gabe don’t get 30+ minutes a night, but would hope to get Mashburn more time. Lots of bodies at the 3-4 interesting to see how that shakes out, Inhen is the one starter I would be the most hesitant on. Offensively I am hoping for more motion and less carr dribbling; with the additions of Mashburn and the 3 transfers i think we should have more options to create for themselves if needed. Still not sure where scoring will come against defensively sound teams. Defensively we have a ton of length and versatility, I think we could see marked improvement there. All said, lots of hopefullies, could be’s, wildcards, and potential eligibility issues but this is the time of the year for that. This seems like a team that should have more depth than we are used to. Will be fun to watch the year play out and see what this team turns into. Not sure I am ready to give a season projection yet but my outlook defnietly looks more upbeat.
Winner of the "Post-of-the-day Award". Thanks for putting it together.

I'm expecting Freeman to play more than Mitchell. I'm not expecting Curry to play at all. Center is going to be thin.
With what Freeman showed us last year I have a hard time believing Pitino is gonna have him be part of the rotation unless absolutely necessary. Still holding out hope Curry can play 8-10 minutes here..

Winner of the "Post-of-the-day Award". Thanks for putting it together.
No problem! Its fun to read other peoples opinions. Seems i am a bit higher than most on the transfers impact. Will be interesting to see where the time shakes out for Inhen, williams, peterson. They all provide something different and definitely have room to improve.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Freeman making a meaningful contribution. He came in as a project, and the current situation with the virus probably harms his development the most, but after Robbins, his size and athleticism are going to be needed to at least contribute defense and rebounding this season. That's especially true if Curry is not his old self or better.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Freeman making a meaningful contribution. He came in as a project, and the current situation with the virus probably harms his development the most, but after Robbins, his size and athleticism are going to be needed to at least contribute defense and rebounding this season. That's especially true if Curry is not his old self or better.
I would rather see Freeman at the 5 then Omerssa for the upcoming season, Omerssa plays out of control against bigger players or he just can't slow them down and ends up racking up unnecessary fouls. Even though we saw very limited minutes from Freeman last year, I feel he would be much more in control on defense against big ten centers.

Not expecting Curry to play at Center?

They're hoping that him losing weight will be the trick to avoiding injury.

No, I just don't expect him to play at all. Medically retire or something. I hope not, I like Eric Curry. Seems like a great kid. Just think Freeman or Omersa will be guarding more than him for a variety of reasons

Why does everyone still think Ihnen is going to play the 3? He can't get to the rack from the perimeter, or hasn't shown it, and basically slides out and is a catch and shoot guy

Why does everyone still think Ihnen is going to play the 3? He can't get to the rack from the perimeter, or hasn't shown it, and basically slides out and is a catch and shoot guy

Where would you play him? He has pretty solid handles. needs to get stronger but I'm guessing that is happening this summer/fall. He'll be able to get to the rack and dunk on peoples heads

We will have a lot of options it sounds like. Assuming the normal amount of injuries and bad luck for the Gophers, we should still have some people who can step in and be useful. I like how the team all of a sudden has some shooting. I hope Mashburn can contribute right away. Let's not forget what a high recruit Ihnen was. If he can take a nice jump next year, as can Williams, we could surprise some people.

Yea, I'm with you. Unless Ihnen shows drastic improvement with his ball skills, I'd pencil most of his minutes in at the 4.

Carr 34 min. lead guard
Gabe 26 min. off guard
Liam 30 min. pivot
Ihnen 26 min. 3/4

Johnson 25 min. 3/4/
Mashburn 15 min. 2/1
Peterson 18 min. 3/4
Curry 10 min pivot
Williams 10 min 2/3

6 minutes deep bench

Good breakdown but I think Williams will be getting more minutes than that. Take away most of Mashburn's SG minutes and give them to Williams. Also counting on Robbins playing more than 25 and Curry playing less than 10. And Mitchell seems more like a 4 or even a 3 than a 5 to me but hard to say at this point.

Where would you play him? He has pretty solid handles. needs to get stronger but I'm guessing that is happening this summer/fall. He'll be able to get to the rack and dunk on peoples heads
The 4, didn't really think that was disputed considering that is where he played this year.

I haven't seen the quickness, I don't think it has anything to do with strength.

The 4, didn't really think that was disputed considering that is where he played this year.

I haven't seen the quickness, I don't think it has anything to do with strength.

This gopher team may be pretty slow, so he could slot in at the 3. Cant say I know a ton about Petersen or Johnson or Robbins but I don't see a ton of twitch in the front court.

I think Omersa contributes a fair amount this year. He'll get the chance to play more and if he can avoid quick fouls, he'll get minutes. He rebounds and defends. He hustles. I think he annoys other teams and they react to his nonsense. I love the kid

This gopher team may be pretty slow, so he could slot in at the 3. Cant say I know a ton about Petersen or Johnson or Robbins but I don't see a ton of twitch in the front court.
Well, we also played a 3 guard lineup and have similar depth in the front court this year. I just don't see it

Well, we also played a 3 guard lineup and have similar depth in the front court this year. I just don't see it

Thats fair. I don't see a lineup that doesn't have Ihnen on the court a lot. He is a good shooter, rebounder and improving defended. His length caused issues last year for opposing teams. Add in another year of experience and I think he is a key player.

My starting lineup would be:
Carr, Gabe (if he can shoot), Ihnen, Johnson, Robbins.

Petersen off the bench, with mini-mash and Williams. Front court is up in the air but Omersa, Freeman, Mitchell and Curry (if healthy) will have a chance to eat up some minutes. Ihnen can shift to the 4 but I think he'd struggle to guard a lot of 4s in the B1G

Twitch = Ihnen and Johnson. I just don't see this being a slower team at all. I thought last year's team was slow per position other than Carr and Oturu. Mashburn will be an upgrade. Johnson over Demir. Ihnen will be a big factor. Peterson appear to have some twitch per his film as does Mitchell- but I am going to assume that Mitchell now is going to be moved along more slowly considering who we have picked up. Plus, assuming guys are eligible we are going to have fresh players on the floor more often

Player by Player

Williams will get significantly more than 9 minutes per game. Mashburn probably fewer minutes. Peterson probably fewer minutes.

Demir was a complete liability defensively. Look at how big ten teams attacked us. He got killed 95% of the time, I would not call that serviceable

They didn't attack him specifically, we had him guarding their best post guy a ton of the time because we wanted to not get Oturu in foul trouble. Of course guys like Garza (2nd in the player of the year standings) tore him up. Again I'm saying he was very average. He lacked things physically, but he was good positionally and was relatively smart.

Remember we were honestly better defensively this year than last year and that was with guys who should've been good at D because of athleticism, length, and experience, but were not.

Top Bottom