2020-2021 College Basketball Other Games Thread

I think he might be both the best coach and most stand up guy in the conference. In two seasons, I have not heard one word of whining, bad mouthing players, or blaming the refs, even after a loss. Even this one he clearly was unhappy about the call and could have blown up over it and didn't. He is fast displaying himself publicly as a guy most parents would want coaching their kids. That's a valuable commodity.

He has the #1 recruiting class in the country for 2021, including 4 of the top 51 players on 247, so I think recruits (and parents) indeed agree with your assessment.

He has the #1 recruiting class in the country for 2021, including 4 of the top 51 players on 247, so I think recruits (and parents) indeed agree with your assessment.

Has me wondering if Tschetter will get any minutes at all with a recruiting class like that. Might end up being the Leo Rautins of Michigan for those old enough to remember that analogy.

Good grief. A terrible Nebraska team and Maryland who kicked our as* twice are matched up in a two point game 2nd half 46-44. Maryland has 17 turnovers with 7 minutes left in the half. How did we lose TWICE to them?! And they are still behind us in the standings.

Good grief. A terrible Nebraska team and Maryland who kicked our as* twice are matched up in a two point game 2nd half 46-44. Maryland has 17 turnovers with 7 minutes left in the half. How did we lose TWICE to them?! And they are still behind us in the standings.

They won by double digits, just like us.

What do you have to say about Top 10 Illinois only being up 5 on free falling Northwestern with 6 minutes left in the 2nd?

They won by double digits, just like us.

What do you have to say about Top 10 Illinois only being up 5 on free falling Northwestern with 6 minutes left in the 2nd?
Wildcats a better team than the Gophers right now

Wildcats a better team than the Gophers right now

Okay, buddy. You sound real smart. We just beat a Top 25 team 5 days ago. Northwestern has lost 12 straight.

But go ahead and keep losing your credibility with every ridiculous post.

Their last win was on Boxing Day. Not really sure you can believe that. Gophers haven’t been good but they’ve won in 2021.
I just don't think the Gophers could've gone into Illinois and kept it as close as the Cats did last night. The Gophs are probably the second most beatable team in the league at the moment.

If one is going to give the Gophers credit for their full body of work, you have to give NW the same benefit and not just talk about their 12-game skid and only those twelve games. They had some nice wins early on.

I just don't think the Gophers could've gone into Illinois and kept it as close as the Cats did last night. The Gophs are probably the second most beatable team in the league at the moment.

If one is going to give the Gophers credit for their full body of work, you have to give NW the same benefit and not just talk about their 12-game skid and only those twelve games. They had some nice wins early on.

Sure. But you said “right now” in your post. The gophers beat a top 25 team last week. Northwestern hasn’t won in 7 weeks. So which one is it?

Also, if keeping it close is what you want I’ll remember that next time the gophers lose but its a close one!

Sure. But you said “right now” in your post. The gophers beat a top 25 team last week. Northwestern hasn’t won in 7 weeks. So which one is it?

Also, if keeping it close is what you want I’ll remember that next time the gophers lose but its a close one!
Fair enough, but did you watch last night's game? NW made some plays and played through adversity. They played closer against a national title contender last night than our team did against the 10th-place team in the league the other day. That's my definition of "right now."

Fair enough, but did you watch last night's game? NW made some plays and played through adversity. They played closer against a national title contender last night than our team did against the 10th-place team in the league the other day. That's my definition of "right now."

With this rationale Nebraska is better than the gophers right now

You can't look at it that way. Our Gophers do not match up well with Maryland at all. Player to player, Maryland might be the hardest team for the Gophers to beat in the conference.

Matchups matter.

Nebraska had a better last game than the Gophers did, yes.

What's your definition of "right now?" I know what mine is.
You're going to be a busy guy searching through every college game in between gopher games to find every win that was by more than a gopher win and every loss that was by less than a gopher loss. Every night there are going to be teams that look better than the gophers did in any previous game regardless of the situation.

Nebraska had a better last game than the Gophers did, yes.

What's your definition of "right now?" I know what mine is.

Recent games. Maybe last 5 or so. Depends on time between games. If the gophers get blown out today I’ll say they aren’t playing well right now because it’ll be a week of bad performances.

This line of thinking is a real reach and clouded by disappointment in the current administration. Any of us who watch college basketball know the likelihood of very talented teams mailing it in against inferior opponents is high. Add in the rivalry factor between NW and ILL, and you have a potion that will make the inferior team (the Cats) look "good" against the much better team. Comparing that to anything the Gophers have done is a stretch.

For all the hand wringing on this board about the current team, it is highly likely they have played to their talent level, and maybe even above it. Right now, the only losses to teams of equal and perhaps lesser talent is Maryland, and I'm not sure they don't have better talent overall. Perhaps Wisconsin, too. The rest have been to teams with better players. Better players, and enough of them, make a difference. That's the problem.

Recent games. Maybe last 5 or so. Depends on time between games. If the gophers get blown out today I’ll say they aren’t playing well right now because it’ll be a week of bad performances.
Lol
Gophers have won 2 of the last 3.
3 of the last 7.
Northwestern has lost 12 straight
Here's my definition of "right now": If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to bet a huge sum of money that I can't afford to lose on either Minnesota or Northwestern beating Indiana tonight, I'm not sure I pick the Gophers, even if they have Robbins at full strength. That wouldn't have been the case a few weeks ago. The Gophs are not trending in the right direction. I'd honestly thought they'd be turning this thing back around, but the Maryland game was a reality check on that.

Here's my definition of "right now": If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to bet a huge sum of money that I can't afford to lose on either Minnesota or Northwestern beating Indiana tonight, I'm not sure I pick the Gophers, even if they have Robbins at full strength. That wouldn't have been the case a few weeks ago. The Gophs are not trending in the right direction. I'd honestly thought they'd be turning this thing back around, but the Maryland game was a reality check on that.
If the gophers aren't trending in the right direction after losing one game are you saying Northwestern is trending in the right direction after losing 12 in a row?

If the gophers aren't trending in the right direction after losing one game are you saying Northwestern is trending in the right direction after losing 12 in a row?
Unfortunately, the Gophers haven't been their best selves for quite some time now. Meanwhile, most other teams in the conference have been getting better--which they will tend to do, barring injury.

And lost. What does northwestern playing illinois tough have to do with our game against maryland? Means absolutely nothing as for who's better right now. Hard to believe a team that just beat a top 25 team is worse than a team that's lost 12 straight. Actually as long as we beat northwestern I can care less if you or whoever thinks they're better now.

And lost. What does northwestern playing illinois tough have to do with our game against maryland? Means absolutely nothing as for who's better right now. Hard to believe a team that just beat a top 25 team is worse than a team that's lost 12 straight. Actually as long as we beat northwestern I can care less if you or whoever thinks they're better now.
Northwestern always plays Illinois tough. It's a rivalry game. I put zero stock in the margin of victory.

I will say this...if Illinois continues to play like they have the last few games they could get beat this weekend.

If you had a gun to your head and had to pick either Minnesota or northwestern beating indiana tonight and you picked northwestern....you’re pretty dumb considering they don’t play.

I assume you’re going to bet money on northwestern beating Minnesota in their upcoming game then?

Minnesota is like 6 days removed from beating a ranked opponent.
Northwestern hasn’t won a game in 2021 and its mid February

Another Badger game, another Davison elbow to the face.

Top Bottom