2019-2020 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

Or it also shows how few of great starters there are in baseball if you think that Maeda is mediocre, and he's the 25th best fantasy SP.
OK I'll rip you for the stat now if you continue to use just fantasy numbers instead of real statistics.

Fantasy numbers are fantasy numbers. All kinds of athletes put up great fantasy numbers but aren't actually great.
Wow. You really have all the answers. If only the Twins would hire you, we’d win the WS this year.

I'd pay more then them. Simple as that.
Well, I guess we are 1 of 29 teams that are just stupid then.

And BTW, paying more for Baumgarner didn't help. He wanted to go to Arizona and took less than expected.

For trashing fantasy stats, you sure are treating this like a fantasy...

Well, I guess we are 1 of 29 teams that are just stupid then.

And BTW, paying more for Baumgarner didn't help. He wanted to go to Arizona and took less than expected.

For trashing fantasy stats, you sure are treating this like a fantasy...
I wouldn't consider Baumgarner an ace.

And no the team is trying to make money and they are doing that well. You and all the other stupid fans that just accept 30 years of mediocrity are the problem. Why would the team go for it if their fans are happy with them not going all in?

As far as fantasy stats do you think teams decide which players to sign/pay by going "ooooooh look at his fantasy stats last year!"? No so why should we do it here?

Bass - in order to make a deal, two sides have to agree.

The Twins could offer Free Agent Pitcher "X" $30-million a year, but if he doesn't want to play in MN, he's going to say "No!"

With Salaries at the current level, every top player knows he's going to get his money somewhere, and a lot of money at that. So, that allows players to take other things into consideration - including family concerns, etc.

We may all love MN, but other people don't. They see MN as stuck in the middle of flyover with 9 months of winter a year.

If Pitcher X is looking at $30-mill in MN or $25-mill in a warm-weather location where he has family nearby, he can afford to take the lower offer. Now, could the Twins offer $40-mill and maybe get him to change his mind? Possibly. But would that be a good business decision? I wonder.

YOu aren't convinced any are then in your next sentence you say 2 definitely are... Well which is it?
They were never getting Cole or Strasburg. If that's the only thing they can do that would satisfy you, go root for the Yankees because you'll forever be angry at the Twins.

Bass - in order to make a deal, two sides have to agree.

The Twins could offer Free Agent Pitcher "X" $30-million a year, but if he doesn't want to play in MN, he's going to say "No!"

With Salaries at the current level, every top player knows he's going to get his money somewhere, and a lot of money at that. So, that allows players to take other things into consideration - including family concerns, etc.

We may all love MN, but other people don't. They see MN as stuck in the middle of flyover with 9 months of winter a year.

If Pitcher X is looking at $30-mill in MN or $25-mill in a warm-weather location where he has family nearby, he can afford to take the lower offer. Now, could the Twins offer $40-mill and maybe get him to change his mind? Possibly. But would that be a good business decision? I wonder.
Then offer him $50 million and win the WS. Simple.

Then offer him $50 million and win the WS. Simple.
If they could sign Cole for 1 year $50 million, go for it. But it would have been 8 years, $400 million. And if they didn't win it in the first two years, they'd be screwed for the next 6. In baseball, signing someone like Cole takes your chances of winning the WS from 5% to 10 or 15%. There's still a very high chance you will not win it all. You can't replicate the Golden State Warriors plan in MLB.

Right! That would guarantee it! Just like the Astros winning last year with all those aces and probably cheating to boot! Oh wait...
Switch our pitchers last year with their pitchers and we win the WS. Guaranteed.

You should have used the yankees as your example since they over spend each year and haven't won in a while. But you aren't smart enough to do that... The astros payroll is higher than the twins though!

If they could sign Cole for 1 year $50 million, go for it. But it would have been 8 years, $400 million. And if they didn't win it in the first two years, they'd be screwed for the next 6. In baseball, signing someone like Cole takes your chances of winning the WS from 5% to 10 or 15%. There's still a very high chance you will not win it all. You can't replicate the Golden State Warriors plan in MLB.
If we don't win in the next couple years we are probably screwed anyway.

Switch our pitchers last year with their pitchers and we win the WS. Guaranteed.

You should have used the yankees as your example since they over spend each year and haven't won in a while. But you aren't smart enough to do that... The astros payroll is higher than the twins though!
Sure. But switch Cole for Randy Dobnak and we still probably lose 3-2 to the Yankees in the 1st round.

I didn't see the rest of your post after you edited it my bad. I agree there was very little chance of landing any of them because the twins won't do what's needed to actually win and you pohlad pocket protectors are enabling them. I'm sick of it.
Like kidnap one of Cole’s relatives until he signs with the Twins? Some people don’t seem to understand that the player has a choice as to where they sign too and that they don’t always sign for the team that offers the most money.

I don’t know why I’m arguing with you because once things like Pohlad pocket protector starts getting thrown out you know it’s impossible to have a reasonable discussion with you.

Like kidnap one of Cole’s relatives until he signs with the Twins? Some people don’t seem to understand that the player has a choice as to where they sign too and that they don’t always sign for the team that offers the most money.

I don’t know why I’m arguing with you because once things like Pohlad pocket protector starts getting thrown out you know it’s impossible to have a reasonable discussion with you.
A mere pair of 10 year/400 million contracts could have gotten them both, no abduction required. Is it really too much to ask the cheap Pohlads to commit a bit shy of billion dollars to get a couple aces? That's not even two Target Fields. Cheap Pohlads! :cool:

FWIW - someone asked new Twins' pitcher Kenta Maeda what he knew about Minnesota. his answer: "It's cold." Granted, this is a Japanese pitcher, but he's been in MLB for several seasons. And that is his perception of MN. Like it or not, perceptions like that are part of the reason why the Twins probably would have to over-pay to land a top free-agent pitcher.

FWIW - someone asked new Twins' pitcher Kenta Maeda what he knew about Minnesota. his answer: "It's cold." Granted, this is a Japanese pitcher, but he's been in MLB for several seasons. And that is his perception of MN. Like it or not, perceptions like that are part of the reason why the Twins probably would have to over-pay to land a top free-agent pitcher.
I can tell you from my experience working in the minors that most pitchers hate throwing in the cold. For some it's a bigger deal than others but almost all of them would prefer throwing when it's really hot over being cold.

I can tell you from my experience working in the minors that most pitchers hate throwing in the cold. For some it's a bigger deal than others but almost all of them would prefer throwing when it's really hot over being cold.

One of the reasons why if the MLB was ever to expand the playoffs or make changes, they should start with reducing the number of games and have the season run from late April - early Sept.

Why would you go to that extreme? Just pay him more. This isn't the NBA where guys are going places with their buddies and all getting the same max contract.

One of the reasons why if the MLB was ever to expand the playoffs or make changes, they should start with reducing the number of games and have the season run from late April - early Sept.
I joked the other day that I'm getting excited about the possibility of waking up on Christmas morning, opening presents and then turning on Game 7 of the WS.

Expanding the playoffs is a terrible idea. They'll have teams finishing below .500 getting in. Several average or below average teams duking it out for the last spot isn't that exciting to me. I looked through every year since they expanded to 5 teams in each league and the team with the worst record to make the playoffs was the Twins in 2017 when they went 85-77.

Why would you go to that extreme? Just pay him more. This isn't the NBA where guys are going places with their buddies and all getting the same max contract.
There are countless examples of guys not picking the biggest contract, several this offseason. It's not just about offering the most money.

Top Bottom