2019-2020 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

Well they improved their offense. So I am optimistic about their offense. I'm just not as optimistic about a potential #3 starter they traded for who would be coming from the NL. The only chance this team has is to trade for a legit 1-2 type of pitcher that would be a 1-2 on any staff, not just ours. Otherwise it will be a fun regular season again and a very quick post season again.

I don't thin you and I are too far off on our thinking I just dn't think I'm explaining it well. This trade is just a meh for me. I'm glad they didn't waste 2 top prospects on a meh trade. Go ahead and trade 3 top prospects on a pitcher that will make a difference, I don't care but why waste them on one who won't make a difference?

Because the Twins have the opportunity to win now. Maeda is a significant upgrade over who he would currently be replacing in our rotation. The Twins have no recent history of willingness to part with prospects for a #1 pitcher.

Maeda is older but has only pitched 4 years in the majors, and he's been solid all 4 years. What if he jumps up and has a career year, and Graterol blows out his arm again? Then it would absolutely be worth it.

But it never ceases to amaze me how unwilling the Twins have been to make moves, and how much fans defend it. It's the reason the Twins are setting records for postseason futility.

I would love for the Twins to prove me wrong and get someone better. But history suggests they'll probably throw some lower level prospects out there for a pitcher worse than Maeda.

Because the Twins have the opportunity to win now. Maeda is a significant upgrade over who he would currently be replacing in our rotation. The Twins have no recent history of willingness to part with prospects for a #1 pitcher.

Maeda is older but has only pitched 4 years in the majors, and he's been solid all 4 years. What if he jumps up and has a career year, and Graterol blows out his arm again? Then it would absolutely be worth it.

But it never ceases to amaze me how unwilling the Twins have been to make moves, and how much fans defend it. It's the reason the Twins are setting records for postseason futility.

I would love for the Twins to prove me wrong and get someone better. But history suggests they'll probably throw some lower level prospects out there for a pitcher worse than Maeda.

I think you have missed the multiple times I said trade *2* top prospects. Graterol for Maeda is fine by me. That trade wasn't happening anymore, they wanted more. A #3, and be honest with yourself going from the NL to the AL he wasn't going to have a career year, is not worth multiple top prospects. There is also the possibility Graterol becomes one of the best closers/relievers in MLB if you want to talk about what ifs.

I've been vocal against the pohlad pocket protectors. I think getting donaldson was a pocket protector move. Classic past prime slugger but they had to do something after they missed all the top prospects. The news media reacted like we signed bryce harper, they are a joke.

Again I'm not defending the twins for not making a move. I saying this move doesn't matter in the play offs and that is all I care about. I want them to win now (in the playoffs). They need to get a legit 1-2 type pitcher to do that. Maeda is a move to the bullpen guy in the play offs.

I think you have missed the multiple times I said trade *2* top prospects. Graterol for Maeda is fine by me. That trade wasn't happening anymore, they wanted more. A #3, and be honest with yourself going from the NL to the AL he wasn't going to have a career year, is not worth multiple top prospects. There is also the possibility Graterol becomes one of the best closers/relievers in MLB if you want to talk about what ifs.

I've been vocal against the pohlad pocket protectors. I think getting donaldson was a pocket protector move. Classic past prime slugger but they had to do something after they missed all the top prospects. The news media reacted like we signed bryce harper, they are a joke.

Again I'm not defending the twins for not making a move. I saying this move doesn't matter in the play offs and that is all I care about. I want them to win now (in the playoffs). They need to get a legit 1-2 type pitcher to do that. Maeda is a move to the bullpen guy in the play offs.

I get what you’re saying, but I have no problem giving up Graterol, who’s stock is dropping, and another guy ranked around #10 for Maeda.

Then you turn around and give up a couple more top guys for a #1 at the deadline. None of these guys are sure things, and that’s how teams who win championships operate.

I get what you’re saying, but I have no problem giving up Graterol, who’s stock is dropping, and another guy ranked around #10 for Maeda.

Then you turn around and give up a couple more top guys for a #1 at the deadline. None of these guys are sure things, and that’s how teams who win championships operate.
So backing away and finding another mid-rotation starter is "easier said than done", but going out and getting a #1 at the deadline is a piece of cake.
OK, then.

Like I said we pretty much agree. I just don't agree that Maeda is worth more than just Graterol. He's been mediocre in the NL.

So backing away and finding another mid-rotation starter is "easier said than done", but going out and getting a #1 at the deadline is a piece of cake.
OK, then.

That's not what I said at all, I just said that's what I would try to do. The Twins have a long history of doing neither.

Maybe the deal falling through will turn out to be a blessing.... if Graterol exceeds expectations. 100+ mph fastballs are pretty rare.

The only 100+ mph potential starters I can recall off the top are Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan. Have there been others?

Ken Rosenthal says the Dodgers are getting Graterol and another prospect for Maeda and cash.

I haven’t seen anything about the Twins giving up anyone else.

So the Dodgers gave up Maeda and 10 million dollars despite the fact that they lost two starters in the offseason and are replacing them with far from reliable options in exchange for a prospect with arm issues and a pick?
This doesn't pass the smell test.

So the Dodgers gave up Maeda and 10 million dollars despite the fact that they lost two starters in the offseason and are replacing them with far from reliable options in exchange for a prospect with arm issues and a pick?
This doesn't pass the smell test.

It's possible they feel like Urias and May are ready to be full time starters.

Glad they still got it done. Essentially the addition was they traded the #64 pick next year and a prospect for 10 million and a prospect. Not a bad addition. Added bonus that Graterol will not be a Red Sox if he breaks out.

Glad they still got it done. Essentially the addition was they traded the #64 pick next year and a prospect for 10 million and a prospect. Not a bad addition. Added bonus that Graterol will not be a Red Sox if he breaks out.
Hey Howie what was the compensatory pick for that they traded?

Hey they got the deal done and lined their pockets with another 10million. Whats our payroll now this year minus that 10 million?

131 and change.
125 last year.
It's amazing how smart they are and how well trained they have the sports media. everyone freaking out about donaldson like they signed a top player in his prime plus make a trade for a starting pitcher that technically improves their rotation even though he's mediocre and the sports media says the twins have done everything their fans have been begging them for but with the 10million it's cheaper this year for them than last and they will make a killing in ticket sales increases etc this year because of last years success. They have a genius business model going.

It's amazing how smart they are and how well trained they have the sports media. everyone freaking out about donaldson like they signed a top player in his prime plus make a trade for a starting pitcher that technically improves their rotation even though he's mediocre and the sports media says the twins have done everything their fans have been begging them for but with the 10million it's cheaper this year for them than last and they will make a killing in ticket sales increases etc this year because of last years success. They have a genius business model going.

I just love the outcry now over the $10M. They already agreed to the trade with no money involved and the Red Sox balked. It's a different trade now, so there are different circumstances. Who the hell cares that they got that money? That's what the two teams agreed was fair. I knew right away that's what a ton of our 'fans' would latch onto though.

I just love the outcry now over the $10M. They already agreed to the trade with no money involved and the Red Sox balked. It's a different trade now, so there are different circumstances. Who the hell cares that they got that money? That's what the two teams agreed was fair. I knew right away that's what a ton of our 'fans' would latch onto though.
I"m saying its genius by the twins and the pohlad pocket protectors.

It's just stupid. Most people were happy with the trade last week and now that it's slightly modified everyone is laser-focused on the $10 million "Cheap Pohlads!" narrative. I'd rather have $10 million to go add at the trade deadline than another AA prospect thrown in.

Donaldson is a top player regardless of age and Meada is better than mediocre.

I like the trade. They technically didn't give up two top 10 prospects, but how quickly can the 67th pick turn into a top 10 prospect?

Maeda is an upgrade over Gibson and I think he'll surprise some people. Towards the bottom of the page baseball reference has similarity scores, and who's number 5 on that list for Maeda? Jose Berrios.

I like the trade. They technically didn't give up two top 10 prospects, but how quickly can the 67th pick turn into a top 10 prospect?

Maeda is an upgrade over Gibson and I think he'll surprise some people. Towards the bottom of the page baseball reference has similarity scores, and who's number 5 on that list for Maeda? Jose Berrios.

The numbers show he was a little unlucky last year too. His WHIP was really good: 1.074. He's not great but he's good and helps the rotation.

Not really. Maeda's contract has big incentives. The $10 million basically offsets what he will likely earn. I think it's closer to $140 as it was after the Donaldson signing.
We'll see what happens. Dodger writer says he made about 8.5 million total last year. Would it shock you to see his innings closely monitored? Pineda has similar bonuses written into his contract too, but he's not going to be very likely to hit them having to sit out a month and change.

We'll see what happens. Dodger writer says he made about 8.5 million total last year. Would it shock you to see his innings closely monitored? Pineda has similar bonuses written into his contract too, but he's not going to be very likely to hit them having to sit out a month and change.
Yes it would surprise me to see his innings monitored closely. He will be in the rotation all year if healthy and probably in the play-off rotation as well. He probably can't go 200 because he only went 150 last year. But he can go 180 which is where Odo was last year. You don't go all in to win and then nickle and dime over a pitcher's incentives.

Last edited:

The numbers show he was a little unlucky last year too. His WHIP was really good: 1.074. He's not great but he's good and helps the rotation.

He strikes people out too. His K/9 last year was just a touch behind Odorizzi, and ahead of Berrios and Gibson. It'll also help for him to stay in the rotation, and not going back and forth between the bullpen.

Top Bottom