2017 QB Fall-off? - Not so fast

Whether Green or Croft are better than Mitch next year is a very different question than if they were better than him back in September.

Whether Green or Croft are better than Mitch next year is a very different question than if they were better than him back in September.

This, of course, makes perfect sense - but will not matter on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the coaches are indeed actively trying to bring in a JUCO or grad-transfer QB, that is not a ringing endorsement for either Croft or Green.

Wanting something does not mean it's going to happen. Gopher fans upset with Leidner want someone to come in here and give the team a higher level of QB play - but that does not mean it's going to happen.

If coaches are still here I would expect Seth Green to be our QB moving forward. He was running the scout team and from what I remember hearing was talked about more positively then Croft.

Mark Williams might jump and surprise as well.

It's curious that according to 24/7 we have zero QB prospects signed, recruited etc unless noted as ATH. Perhaps that's an explanation for the JUCO thought.

If the coaches are indeed actively trying to bring in a JUCO or grad-transfer QB, that is not a ringing endorsement for either Croft or Green.

Wanting something does not mean it's going to happen. Gopher fans upset with Leidner want someone to come in here and give the team a higher level of QB play - but that does not mean it's going to happen.

I hear what you're saying, however, our QBs are young.

I wouldn't say that it says a whole lot about Seth Green. I think it might say a bit more about Demry Croft. If the Gophers brought in Ta'amu (which I've been told is pretty much a certainty), he will be a JR and Green will be a FR. Green will be 100% positioned to the starting QB as a junior.

We lost Strever and McKinzy, that's really the depth that Ta'amu will be replacing.

You probably all know that I am not a huge fan of ML's play - as a person, seems wonderful - as the Gopher QB, not so good. We have also seen a ton of comments lately from people saying that we will be wishing to have ML back next year when our QBs suffer growing pains, etc.

While that may be true - I think a look at the stats is warranted:

ML full stats / ML Stats (ex IndSt*)

ATT: 287 / 257
COMP: 162 / 142
YARDS: 2040 / 1745
TD: 7 / 3
INT: 12 / 12
QBR (NFL): 69.5 / 60.8
QBR (NCAA): 115 / 107

* I exclude IndSt because they are not FBS competition

First things first - you note that the NCAA QBR is ridiculous - I just post that here so people that are unfamiliar with how greatly it differs from NFL can understand just how wide that gulf is.

Second - how does Demry compare? Remember, his PT was against B1G competition and usually came after the wheels had already come off - meaning, against superior competition.

ATT: 17
COMP: 7
YARDS: 34
TD: 0
INT: 0
QBR (NFL): 48.9

So, it was a very limited body of work (essential limited PT in 2 games and a single pass against tOSU) - but the reality is that this was not that much worse that what ML put up on the season against FBS competition. Also, this was as a true freshman without the benefit of 1st team reps and 3 years starting for the Gophers. I would also argue - the fact that he did not turn the ball over (ML averaged 1 INT/21 ATT) probably would place the Gophers in a better position to win.

Limited stats for comparison - but I don't think we are going to see a huge fall off at the QB position regardless of who steps in as starter. If TC and staff remain intact and Croft shows ANY improvement at QB - he should, at a minimum, replicate ML's stats from this year. Even if he, or Green, falls slightly short of ML's stats but limit turnovers, I don't see the total production at QB being worse than this year.

So - overall a reason to be optimistic for next year. I can easily see 8 wins on the schedule even with ML type production. Does that get us overly excited? Probably not - but if we can get 8 wins with a 1st year starter - things look better 2-3 years down the road as they mature (barring an ML regression).

Surely this is a joke.

We talked with a football player on Tuesday during the basketball game who went to same high as my buddy who I was at the game with. So we asked him tons of football questions and he was willing to answer them honestly.

He said its hard to believe but Mitch was by far best QB on roster and it wasn't close.. those guys are not ready. Says need a transfer or Juco guy otherwise it will be a long year.

Gentry is best WR on roster.. by the time he got healthy end of the year it was to late to move ahead of everyone else.

Myrick overrated fast but that's it will get drafted and be a bust.

He said he doesn't care for Cleays but most of the team likes him and cleays is worried about his job.

santos screwed himself because he had a very good shot at NFL FG kicker not at punter.

This is all really interesting. Thanks for sharing...

This is only true if there was no doubt Croft or Green was physically ready to step in. Croft was only listed as 200 lbs. at 6-5. Green reportedly needed to add arm strength. Physically, both should get bigger and stronger. Thus, I have a hard time believing that sitting them this year meant the team wasted an opportunity to play in the BT Championship game.
I know. I am assuming there will be a drop off next year.

I will say some in here greatly overestimate the value of sitting on the bench. You don't get that much better by not playing football.

Green and Croft will compete for the job. My guess is green gets the nod to start and plays well even though he will make mistakes.

The good thing about this year is the room for competition. There will be no red shirts this year for the qb spot. At any point one of the three QB's could jump the other for PT. As in the past few year Leidner was the only option they had, so regardless if he played well or not he was going to be back the next series. A QB might not look as great in practice, but when the bright lights come on they show up. Whether they bring in another QB or not, everyone is going to get their opportunity, and as a fan that kind of excites me a little

To be honest it really doesn't matter who wins the QB battle because our success or lack thereof, will depend on what happens in the off-season with the offensive linemen. If they get bigger, stronger, faster then we have a chance.

+1

The offensive line must be solid. Without a good line, I don't care who you put in at QB - the Gophers will not go to the next level in B1G play. Recruiting OL must be high priority. We can never have enough of them. Injuries happen, and you need good depth.

I will say some in here greatly overestimate the value of sitting on the bench. You don't get that much better by not playing football.

I will say many in here greatly overestimated the value of starting 4 years in terms of decision-making, accuracy, and the ability to throw a spiral. I think most will be pleasantly surprised next year w/ the QB position.

Its hard to know. I am optimistic for better QB consistency from our starter, and hopefully more diversity in play style and ability. Think about Green, his only College experience is with JJ, which I think will have a great impact on the ability to open the playbook. Similar thing with Croft, 1 year of Limegrover and 1 year of JJ. Mitch, on the other hand, had 4 years of Limegrover, and one year of JJ. I believe JJ was limited in that sense, and that the limitation will be lifted next season. Hopefully that means some more creative play calling. I think with Green, we'll be fine.

Don't worry if they explode onto the scene we'll all be upset they didn't start before hand.... just like we'd be upset if they started earlier and had to leave a year earlier...

I will say many in here greatly overestimated the value of starting 4 years in terms of decision-making, accuracy, and the ability to throw a spiral. I think most will be pleasantly surprised next year w/ the QB position.

Unfortunately the history of Gray taking over for Weber has more experienced football minds jumping on the bandwagon.

Top Bottom