2016 Schedule looks a LOT easier

I never thought I'd say this, and I wouldn't put money on it, but I could legitimately see 12-0

I never thought I'd say this, and I wouldn't put money on it, but I could legitimately see 12-0

I think it definitely should be the Gopher's goal. An achievable one at that. The tough part will be playing Nebraska, Penn State, and Wisconsin on the road.

For the last couple years I've been saying 2016 will be the year for us to really breakout - although for most of that time I was envisioning a Senior Maxx Williams suiting up, but still...

I have to say, though, that as excited as I am about our schedule I'm absolutely giddy that wisconsin has a very good chance to start the season 2-5!

For the last couple years I've been saying 2016 will be the year for us to really breakout - although for most of that time I was envisioning a Senior Maxx Williams suiting up, but still...

I have to say, though, that as excited as I am about our schedule I'm absolutely giddy that wisconsin has a very good chance to start the season 2-5!

Agreed, the one area that always concerned me about 2016 was the Gophers losing the 4 starting senior D-backs. Now with all of the injuries the younger guys are getting some needed playing time and experience.

It would be nice if Oregon St could put together a nice season this year. That Thursday game opening the season will be a lot of fun if they are projected to be decent.

Looking at next year's roster with that schedule, makes me feel VERY optimistic, but...

except for the most important unit on the offense, the O-line.

68 Hayes, Isaac OL 6-2 316 RS JR
78 Lauer, Ben OL 6-7 317 RS JR STARTER LT
76 Mayes, Alex OL 6-6 310 RS SO
75 Kuehn, Noah OL 6-6 297 FR
74 Connelly, Nick OL 6-7 286 FR
71 Moore, Tyler OL 6-4 306 FR STARTER LG
70 Fahning, Chad OL 6-6 290 RS SO
79 Pirsig, Jonah OL 6-9 316 RS JR STARTER RT
66 Stieber, Ted OL 6-6 305 FR
64 Oldenkamp, Matt OL 6-6 273 RS FR
53 Rasmussen, Luke OL 6-7 284 RS FR
55 Mayes, Connor OL 6-5 328 SO STARTER C
62 Weyler, Jared OL 6-4 293 RS FR
61 Dovich, Bronson OL 6-5 288 FR
58 Oseland, Quinn OL 6-6 291 FR STARTER RG
60 Leidner, Matt OL 6-2 283 RS SO

That's my assuming starting O-Line, experience on the outside (that's if
they stay healthy, Lauer), but very young and inexperienced on the
interior, Connor being the exception with one starting season.

Looking at next year's roster with that schedule, makes me feel VERY optimistic, but...

except for the most important unit on the offense, the O-line.

68 Hayes, Isaac OL 6-2 316 RS JR
78 Lauer, Ben OL 6-7 317 RS JR STARTER LT
76 Mayes, Alex OL 6-6 310 RS SO
75 Kuehn, Noah OL 6-6 297 FR
74 Connelly, Nick OL 6-7 286 FR
71 Moore, Tyler OL 6-4 306 FR STARTER LG
70 Fahning, Chad OL 6-6 290 RS SO
79 Pirsig, Jonah OL 6-9 316 RS JR STARTER RT
66 Stieber, Ted OL 6-6 305 FR
64 Oldenkamp, Matt OL 6-6 273 RS FR
53 Rasmussen, Luke OL 6-7 284 RS FR
55 Mayes, Connor OL 6-5 328 SO STARTER C
62 Weyler, Jared OL 6-4 293 RS FR
61 Dovich, Bronson OL 6-5 288 FR
58 Oseland, Quinn OL 6-6 291 FR STARTER RG
60 Leidner, Matt OL 6-2 283 RS SO

That's my assuming starting O-Line, experience on the outside (that's if
they stay healthy, Lauer), but very young and inexperienced on the
interior, Connor being the exception with one starting season.

There's a good chance Brian Bobek will be back next year.

Still, it's not exactly promising for next year. Lauer can't be counted on to play a full season.

I always love seeing the optimism of gopher fans who have not been jaded, like me. It is sure fun to speculate, but I suspect at some point next season there will be a thread titled "Gophers will go 4-4 in the Big Ten" after some gut wrenching defeats.

There's a good chance Brian Bobek will be back next year.

Still, it's not exactly promising for next year. Lauer can't be counted on to play a full season.

Yup, and we also recruited a JUCO guard who's likely to start. But who knows if he'll be worth anything. So yes, I agree in principal: very concerned about the O-Line next year...especially the depth, given what we've seen this year.

This was the year to win the west. We were playing 3 teams with new coaches (and all experts on GH state that change of coaches sets a team back years). Throw in Purdue, Illinois and teams we beat last year IA and NW we should have been looking at 7-1. As much as I hate to say it I think 5-3 is the tops for the players we recruit each year. A few studs and a lot of diamond in the roughs/coach them up leaves us with lots of holes in every class

Top Bottom