2014 Football Jerseys @ Goldy's Locker Room

go4rube

By the Beard of Zeus!
Reaction score
I received an email this morning stating that the 2014 Game Football Jersey are available via Goldy's Locker Room for $95. I'm interested to see if they are stitched or screened-on. Description does say replica.

Description is:
2014’s Nike replica Football jersey features a tailored-fit NFL style construction for an authentic game look! 100% Polyester

40911110016-Z.jpg

Attachments

• 40911110016-Z.jpg
    40911110016-Z.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 36

Guaranteed they are screen printed. I certainly wish we could get a more "authentic" looking jersey for sale with stitched numbers.

I agree about them being screen printed due to the price. A jersey with sewn on numbers would cost more in neighborhood of $135. I’d buy a screen printed one if they were on sale. I think the perception is that there’s not a large enough market for them due to the Gophers’ lack of a national profile and backseat status here in Minnesota for that matter. Our contract with Nike may not provide for such a thing either.

The first year the jerseys came out they had Ski-U-Mah stitched into the collar. They don't have that anymore (on the replica jerseys). Kind of a shame. That's a nice little detail since the jersey itself is so simple.

I have seen people with more authentic looking jerseys (they all were for Freuchte) with stitched numbers, his name, and even the Nike collar feature. They must be through some other vendor because a bunch of little kids were wearing them too. Any idea where you can get those?

I'd pay the extra money for a stitched on jersey. I'm not buying a screen printed one.

The maroon is a different shade than what's in the end zones.

One of my pet peeve's with the U is a lack of consistent branding colors. Some of the Maroon and Gold gear looks like Mcdonalds Red and Yellow.

I agree about them being screen printed due to the price. A jersey with sewn on numbers would cost more in neighborhood of $135. I’d buy a screen printed one if they were on sale. I think the perception is that there’s not a large enough market for them due to the Gophers’ lack of a national profile and backseat status here in Minnesota for that matter. Our contract with Nike may not provide for such a thing either.[/B]

I agree with you on the bolded point. But, it's not like we are asking for Thousands upon thousands of jerseys. There is ceratainly a market for it as I would rather purchase a QUALITY stitched jersey than another screen-printed jersey. (I purchased a PN9 screen print last year, just an FYI.) But, what does it actually cost Nike to create a semi-authentic jersey? Even with frieght costs from overseas and such, I would have to imagine the margins are still quite large so it is not like they are losing money, or Goldy's or whoever, for that matter.

My general belief is that there are two reasons to wear a football jersey: 1.) You're actually playing in the game. 2.) You are under the age of 12.

Having said that, I received a gold Philip Nelson jersey as a gift last year and the quality of it is actually really nice. The numbers aren't stitched, true, but it's a heavier material than your standard replica jersey. Now if I could just do something about the number on it...

My general belief is that there are two reasons to wear a football jersey: 1.) You're actually playing in the game. 2.) You are under the age of 12.

Having said that, I received a gold Philip Nelson jersey as a gift last year and the quality of it is actually really nice. The numbers aren't stitched, true, but it's a heavier material than your standard replica jersey. Now if I could just do something about the number on it...

Why don't you like Alex Keith? :)

I can't recall who the comedian was, but his bit was that every time he sees a guy in a jersey, it reminds him of a high school girl that wears her boyfriend's jersey to school, all that's missing is a class ring with some yarn tied around the bottom of the band.

So, according to your points, assuming you have worn the jersey at least once, you've either played in the game or are under the age of 12? Just curious.

I don't mind the jersey wearing by adults, it's when they wear one with a player's name on the back that creeps me out a little.
I'm not a jersey guy. I buy the cheap sweatshirts and T's and save the rest of my Gopher budget for food and beer.

I don't mind the jersey wearing by adults, it's when they wear one with a player's name on the back that creeps me out a little.
I'm not a jersey guy. I buy the cheap sweatshirts and T's and save the rest of my Gopher budget for food and beer.

I don't buy that, CP. :)

The U really needs to establish and enforce some brand standards. Pick two PMS colors (maroon and gold) and go with it. There are so many shades of maroon, red, etc floating around on the Internet and at games, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't even have a standard color.

I am not sure why this is the case. Are schools more likely to "tweak" with the colors when they haven't been as successful in the major sports? Or is it just a symptom of a bad marketing department over the years? We are a big, established university. These colors get used by dozens of sports, some of which (e.g. hockey) have had recent success.

Just look at the sticky "pictorial countdown" thread at the rainbow of colors we have had and then compare to Michigan or Ohio State.

The U really needs to establish and enforce some brand standards. Pick two PMS colors (maroon and gold) and go with it. There are so many shades of maroon, red, etc floating around on the Internet and at games, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't even have a standard color.

I am not sure why this is the case. Are schools more likely to "tweak" with the colors when they haven't been as successful in the major sports? Or is it just a symptom of a bad marketing department over the years? We are a big, established university. These colors get used by dozens of sports, some of which (e.g. hockey) have had recent success.

Just look at the sticky "pictorial countdown" thread at the rainbow of colors we have had and then compare to Michigan or Ohio State.

I remember that the U standardized the shades of maroon and gold across the athletic department a few years ago. Pretty sure anything that is licensed and sold at the bookstore or Goldy's Lockerroom is the same shade aside from minor shade differences due to material.

I don't mind the beer drinking by adults, it's when they pay for one at a college football game that costs 6.50 that creeps me out a little. I'm not a beer guy. I drink tap water and save the rest of my Gopher budget for food and soda.

I'll admit, I LOVE jerseys. I practically collect them. Hell, my prized material possession is my autographed Barry Sanders #20 jersey (not for wearin'). I enjoy wearing them, probably because it takes me back to my high school sports days, and (perhaps foolishly) makes me feel a little closer to the game.

That said, I have but 1 Gopher football jersey, and it's a Maroney one, screen-printed (bleh), and haven't really wanted to pick one up since I'd like one of higher quality that is either authentic, or a high-quality replica of the ones the Gopher players wear on the field.

Maybe I should finally just get to one of the athletic department's sales and payout for an authentic, game-worn one.

i'm a jersey wearing guy mainly because I can beat the tar out of them and they wash & dry quick.

We have a number of Gopher jerseys in our family.

All but 2 (ironically both are our son's) have numbers of MN kids.

We wear them because we enjoy wearing Maroon / Gold and it we liked the fact the numbers belong or belonged to MN Kids.

Personally, I don't wear them because it "makes me closer to the game" or "brings me back to the good 'ol days" or "gives the feeling of when I played".

I wear them because they are maroon and gold and because those kids chose MINNESOTA. Further, I wear sweatshirts, t-shirts, and coats that say MINNESOTA on them.

Side Note to CP Gopher: This year, we are getting new jerseys that have a players' name on it. Before passing judgement on others about it "creeping" you out, please keep in mind that many people who wear those are close to the kid or have an association somehow with the kid on the team. It is not their intent to be "creepy". It is their intent to show support for the kid on his academic and athletic journey.
I don't mention this to start an argument with you or anyone else. Just wanted people to keep in mind that there are many reasons behind why fans wear a jersey with a Gopher kids' name on the back. (If that makes sense?)

Personally what creeps me out is when adults put their own name on the backs of jerseys. This seems to be more of a hockey thing though.

Then there are the guys who put the number 69 and their nicknames. I think they look foolish but never tease them about it because they are always drunk and on the edge of violence.

Top Bottom