2014-2015 Gopher Women's Season Thread!

You keep bumping this. Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

No, he wasn't. Here's another from when he thought he was such an expert.

Stollings mission statement was that offense...
Stollings mission statement was that offense would create their defense because the opposing team would always be on their heels and yet she has 2 players on her sstarting 5 that can't play offense. ...

I'm out of town so I streamed the game. A few comments:

1). I echo the echoes of Bleed's comment that AZB's performance was the most dominant in gopher history. I wonder if a gopher running back or QB has had a game like that? Wish I had been there.

2) Once AZB learns how to pass out of the double and triple team, it will get even better. She did it once last night late in the game and it led to a wide open three. AZB gets a surprising number of shots blocked because once the ball goes in the shot is going up. Once she starts moving the ball she will be even harder to contain.

3) Kelley has been a critically important addition, but all of the other players are Borton's. I was in favor of the coaching change but Borton deserves significant credit for this team's success. I hope Marlene can bring in talent because it looks like she can coach at this level.

4). I like Iowa a lot. Even though we beat them I think they are pretty close to Maryland. They don't have Maryland's talent but their ball movement, esp interior passing, is great. Sweet Sixteen team.

The reason Stallings plays so much zone is because of lack of depth. If you didn't enjoy that game last night you shouldn't be watching basketball. "B", as in the Big Swede literally put the Gophers on her back last night.

3) Kelley has been a critically important addition, but all of the other players are Borton's. I was in favor of the coaching change but Borton deserves significant credit for this team's success. I hope Marlene can bring in talent because it looks like she can coach at this level.

Makes no difference whether you want to give Pam "significant credit" and I don't, but I certainly hope nobody thinks Borton has been treated unfairly. Curtis Lloyd, no longer on the staff, is given almost all of the credit for getting AZB here. Banham, with the Minnesota connections, has said she was coming here regardless. Carlie Wagner has also said similar things--"lifelong dream", etc. Borton also deserves credit for how really thin this squad is, as well as credit for all those Minnesota kids at places like Iowa, Northwestern, and Wisconsin.

I watched those players last night and instead of giving Pam credit, I thought of players like Fox, McCoy, Voight, Buford, Ellis-Milan, Roysland, and others. Kids that really seemed like good people but who never really got better, and, worse yet, kids who looked like they no longer enjoyed playing basketball by the time they left here. Got to think they have thought, "Man, why couldn't I have played for Stollings."

You keep bumping this. Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

I admit I might be a tad obsessed and yes, the statement I quoted does seem absolutely, over the top ridiculous. I agree. Unfortunately....

The smart coaches who are paying attention will recognize that you don't have to guard either Mullaney or Bailey. Stollings will find it tougher to win 3 on 5 rather than 5 on 5. Bailey can't create her own shot and Mullaney can't score. Since those 2 have entered the starting lineup the gophs have struggled to win. This does not bode well for big ten play.

Apparently roles can't change. Players don't improve. Confidence doesn't grow. Coaching doesn't work.

It's one thing to tell the fans what you're going to do and quite another when you don't follow through.

Statement made following the seventh game for the program's new head coach with a roster made up of one player she brought in.

I do know how this one will go, yes. Most everyone else does too except for you.

Referring to a season eight games old with a healthy Banham still in the lineup.

Just drink the kool-aid and you will get your just reward.

Sadly, hasn't posted since Dec. 9.

I miss the guy from May...

This women's team will be a great one provided they gel. I like good basketball at any level especially when I have been witness to so many years of mediocre basketball including this past year. If the women reach the final four I will be there.

Last post on the subject.

<hr />

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Don't lose to Michigan!

How I see it. (3 games remaining, plus BTT games in addition)

0 wins- Biting their nails on selection Sunday. 11/12 seed.
1 win- 9/10 seed
2 wins- 8 seed
3 wins- 6/7 seed
4 wins- 4/5 seed, maybe hosting

+1. Seems like the players have gotten better as the year has unfolded. They have some young players that may have gotten tired when things were going south, but now not so much. Under Borton I would wounder how much player improvement we would have seen. And I highly doubt Borton could have stopped the slide.
Makes no difference whether you want to give Pam "significant credit" and I don't, but I certainly hope nobody thinks Borton has been treated unfairly. Curtis Lloyd, no longer on the staff, is given almost all of the credit for getting AZB here. Banham, with the Minnesota connections, has said she was coming here regardless. Carlie Wagner has also said similar things--"lifelong dream", etc. Borton also deserves credit for how really thin this squad is, as well as credit for all those Minnesota kids at places like Iowa, Northwestern, and Wisconsin.

I watched those players last night and instead of giving Pam credit, I thought of players like Fox, McCoy, Voight, Buford, Ellis-Milan, Roysland, and others. Kids that really seemed like good people but who never really got better, and, worse yet, kids who looked like they no longer enjoyed playing basketball by the time they left here. Got to think they have thought, "Man, why couldn't I have played for Stollings."

9701078.jpeg

9701080.jpeg

10793415.jpeg

10793417.jpeg

I've been wondering who the little cutie was.

Here's the story.............Good story.
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/021314aaa.html

At least the Men getting thrashed by Wisconsin on Saturday will just be a build up to the real game.

MN Daily: Wagner ahead of her year

But since Big Ten games began, Wagner has not regressed as some freshmen do once conference play starts. Instead, her numbers have improved.

Wagner, who is third on the Gophers in conference scoring, averages nearly six more points per game than during the nonconference slate.

Star senior guard Rachel Banham’s numbers also improved when conference play started during her freshman season three years ago.

“[Wagner] can do a lot of things that Rachel is doing. She has such a great work ethic, and I don’t think we talk about that enough. She’s always the first one in the gym and the last one to leave,” head coach Marlene Stollings said.

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/womens-basketball/2015/02/18/wagner-ahead-her-year

Go Gophers!!

Mullaney making moves
Junior Shayne Mullaney has given the Gophers a boost recently.

yMatt Greenstein February 17, 2015
Junior guard Shayne Mullaney is progressing at a quicker pace than she anticipated at the start of the season.

Last season, Mullaney and star senior guard Rachel Banham shared the point guard position.

And after Banham went down for the season in December due to an ACL tear, Mullaney has helped fill her void.

“With Rachel going down, it was a big loss for our team. I’ve really focused on doing the little things that make a big difference. Not one person is going to fill that big hole,” Mullaney said.

Banham’s injury left room for Mullaney’s development.

think Shayne has benefitted from Rachel’s absence. [Banham] coaches her during the game,” head coach Marlene Stollings said.

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/womens-basketball/2015/02/16/mullaney-making-moves

Game Preview: Minnesota vs. Michigan

Minnesota (21-6, 10-5 B1G) vs. Michigan (15-11, 7-8 B1G)
Date / Time Saturday, February 21 | 1 p.m.
Location Minneapolis, Minn. (Williams Arena)
TV
BTN and BTN2Go
Play-by-Play: Kevin Kugler | Analyst: Shelley Till
Radio
KBEM Jazz 88.5 FM
Play-by-Play: Corbu Stathes | Analyst: Lynnette Sjoquist
Live Stats Click Here
Game Notes Minnesota | Michigan
Official Sites Minnesota | Michigan
Social Media @GophersWBB | Facebook
Feb. 19, 2015

MINNEAPOLIS - The University of Minnesota (21-6, 10-5) women's basketball team hosts Michigan (15-11, 7-8) in its regular-season home finale Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. The game will serve as Senior Day for Shae Kelley and Kayla Hirt and will be broadcast live on BTN, with Kevin Kugler and Shelley Till on the call. Live audio can be heard on KBEM Jazz 88.5 FM.

Fans are encouraged to wear black to the contest for a Barn Blackout, with a limited number of t-shirts to be given away prior to tipoff.

The Gophers are coming off a 93-80 victory over No. 13/11 Iowa Tuesday night in which Amanda Zahui B. totaled a career-high 39 points and pulled down a Big Ten Conference record 29 rebounds. The sophomore also became the 22nd Gopher in program history, and fourth sophomore, to join the 1,000-point club, while also pulling within two blocks of breaking her own program single-season record of 105 blocks set last season.

The win against the Hawkeyes improved Minnesota's record to 21-6 overall and 10-5 in Big Ten action, which is the team's first 21-win regular-season since 2004-05 and its first 10-win conference record since 2008-09. Should the Gophers win against Michigan, they would have 22 regular-season wins for just the third time in program history, a mark that would tie for second all-time for most wins in a regular season. The Maroon and Gold tallied 23 wins in the regular season in both 2002-03 and 1980-81 and 22 in 2004-05.

Minnesota's 10-5 record puts it in a three-way tie with Northwestern and Ohio State for fourth place in league standings, while the Wolverines sit in eighth place with a 7-8 Big Ten mark and a 15-11 overall record. Michigan has lost five of its last seven games, falling to Maryland, Nebraska, Rutgers, Ohio State and Northwestern during the stretch.

The Gophers hold a 33-25 record all-time when facing the Wolverines, which includes a 17-10 record in Minneapolis and a 4-1 record in the teams' last five meetings. Minnesota picked up an 85-69 road win last season in its last matchup against the Wolverines thanks to a huge second half in which the Gophers shot .773 from the floor and scored 51 points.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/021915aab.html

Burn the black jerseys for the men and women

Down 6 at the half.

Just now retake the lead. 17 min left.

19-5 run in the first 7:10 of the 2nd Half.

Leave for 2 min and an 11 point lead becomes 3. What happened?

Way too many unforced turnovers have kept Michigan in this game definitely something that has to get cleaned up going forward. Wagner is a big time player and is definitely the one I want taking the shot with the game on the line.

Double OT! Elmblad has hit the layup to send it to OT and now to send it to 2OT

Top Bottom