2014-2015 Gopher Women's Season Thread!

So, thoughts on the game:
-Zahui does a little bit (actually, alot) of everything for us! She's the heart and sole of the team.
-I like Marlene's offensive system, but Bailey and Wagner have to become more efficient with their 3-point shooting if we are going to shoot that many threes.
-Shae Kelley is amazing around the rim and driving to the basket. Really like what she does for us.
-Joanna Hedstrom should be the 1st and only guard off the bench. Gives us some solid minutes (10-12 mins a game would be ideal).

So, thoughts on the game:
-Zahui does a little bit (actually, alot) of everything for us! She's the heart and sole of the team.
-I like Marlene's offensive system, but Bailey and Wagner have to become more efficient with their 3-point shooting if we are going to shoot that many threes.
-Shae Kelley is amazing around the rim and driving to the basket. Really like what she does for us.
-Joanna Hedstrom should be the 1st and only guard off the bench. Gives us some solid minutes (10-12 mins a game would be ideal).

What's your love for Hedstrom? I've only seen TV games, but I've seen nothing from her.

Wagner seems to be at her best when she just does a catch and shoot. Has more trouble when she dribbles first. Saw her play in the state tournament. The girl can plain out shoot and. I think she will improve greatly with experience. She needs to be more physical.

CGTC Athletics News
Mercedes Jenkins Earns GCAA Player of the Week Honor
January 21, 2015
Macon, GA — Congratulations to Keyondra 'Mercedes' Jenkins on being selected as the Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association (GCAA) Player of the Week (POTW) for the week of January 20. Jenkins previously earned POTW honors for the weeks of November 11, when she was selected as Co-POTW with Shanea Armbrister of Darton State College, and November 25.
During the week, Mercedes recorded 19 points, six assists, and three steals versus Georgia Highlands, and 25 points, four assists, and three steals versus Darton College. Mercedes hit the game winning shot versus Darton State College to help the Lady Titans move to 6-2 in the conference and 12-6 overall.

http://www.centralgatech.edu/studserv/athletics/athletics_news.cfm

5' 6 JC pg commited to Gophers

EDIT: Here is the signing article on Jenkins.
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/112014aaa.html

Big one for Gopher Ladies at Northwestern on Sunday.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Next TV game, Thursday @ Illinois 8 PM on BTN.

Go Gals!.

Gameday preview: Gophers women's basketball at Northwestern

gophers women gameday

2 P.M. at Northwestern • Welsh-Ryan ARENA • NO TV, 1500-AM

Gophers at a glance: After shooting below 35 percent from the field much of last Wednesday night, Minnesota (17-4, 6-3 Big Ten) produced 13 points in a three-minute stretch late in its 75-64 home win over Penn State. The win helped end a two-game skid and kept the Gophers tied for third in the league standings. … Sophomore Amanda Zahui B. posted her second career triple-double with 16 points, 13 rebounds and 12 blocks; the blocks tied the Big Ten record and broke her own program record of 10. … Junior point guard Shayne Mullaney leads the Big Ten at 9.3 assists per game in league play. She’s had 10 or more assists in five of her past six games. … The game isn’t being televised, but it will be streamed on BTN Plus.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/290444201.html

Yikes! Not a very good end to the half for the Gophers. Down 37-27. Wagner and Zahui stepping up so far; Shae Kelley with another terrible game though. Mikayla Bailey not helping the cause either. Hopefully they have another second half rally in them.

Gophers lose at Northwestern 70-49. It's pretty much been all downhill since the Indiana win.

*4 very winnable games coming up now though, so now is the time they have to get back on track. No excuse not to pick up 3-4 wins here in the next couple of weeks. If they don't, they are in huge trouble.

As the season grinds on , you have to think that the number of minutes the starters play is going to catch up with the Gophers. The lack of a bench is going to be an increasing problem down the stretch.

As the season grinds on , you have to think that the number of minutes the starters play is going to catch up with the Gophers. The lack of a bench is going to be an increasing problem down the stretch.

I'm afraid you may be right. Not sure if that was the case today. Sounded like the opponent was just too physical for our gals today and the refs swallowed their whistles.

Big one tonight for our Lady Gophers at Illinois, 8 p.m. CT on BTN.

Lately the Gopher women are playing like they want to gag their way all the way out of the NCAA tourney. It's getting critical. Can't lose to some of the teams they've been losing to.

Lately the Gopher women are playing like they want to gag their way all the way out of the NCAA tourney. It's getting critical. Can't lose to some of the teams they've been losing to.

Besides Wagner and Zahui, rest of the Gophers are playing awful once again so far tonight against a poor team. There's no excuse for losing this one...Gotta pull it out.

Just no words for Mullaney right now. Coming off a bad couple of weeks, an has been having a nightmarish performance so far tonight. Zahui and Wagner are doing great on the offensive end, but that's all that's going for us. Rebounding needs to show up in the second half.

This is about the third or fourth time this season that I've watched the zone get absolutely shredded without switching up defenses. Teams are figuring out the zone early and often and we're not adjusting at all. There were wide open shots everywhere in that first half and even when Illinois missed, they usually got the offensive rebound. Gotta change things up otherwise our zone is going to zone us right out of the NCAAs.

This is about the third or fourth time this season that I've watched the zone get absolutely shredded without switching up defenses. Teams are figuring out the zone early and often and we're not adjusting at all. There were wide open shots everywhere in that first half and even when Illinois missed, they usually got the offensive rebound. Gotta change things up otherwise our zone is going to zone us right out of the NCAAs.

I hate our zone. Puts us at a disadvantage for defensive rebounding too, and it's killing us tonight. Really wish Marlene would just go with man-to-man. To her credit, she seems to have mostly everything else besides the defense schemed up nicely!

I hate our zone. Puts us at a disadvantage for defensive rebounding too, and it's killing us tonight. Really wish Marlene would just go with man-to-man. To her credit, she seems to have mostly everything else besides the defense schemed up nicely!

Not worried about offense at all. The ladies can score the basketball. But you can't stick with a vanilla zone at this level game by game and expect to get stops. These are D1 basketball players; even bad teams have players that can stick jumpers if they are square and can set their feet. Illinois was licking their chops against our defense and like I've said, this is the third or fourth time I've seen an opponent play a giddy half of offensive basketball against our zone. It simply won't work. Have to start switching defenses at some point before everything comes apart.

Illinois just got 6 offensive rebounds/loose balls in one possession until they finally scored. Yes, you read that correctly.

Not worried about offense at all. The ladies can score the basketball. But you can't stick with a vanilla zone at this level game by game and expect to get stops. These are D1 basketball players; even bad teams have players that can stick jumpers if they are square and can set their feet. Illinois was licking their chops against our defense and like I've said, this is the third or fourth time I've seen an opponent play a giddy half of offensive basketball against our zone. It simply won't work. Have to start switching defenses at some point before everything comes apart.

They play the worst zone defense that I've ever seen. She has to change to a man, simply because they can't rebound out of a zone.

They play the worst zone defense that I've ever seen. She has to change to a man, simply because they can't rebound out of a zone.

It's extremely passive; I don't understand why they continue with it. Can't rebound, don't get ball pressure and there are creases all over the place.

It's extremely passive; I don't understand why they continue with it. Can't rebound, don't get ball pressure and there are creases all over the place.

You know your defense sucks when an Illini player trips and falls backward, loses her dribble, gets back up and regains posession of the ball without the on-ball defender ever being within 5 feet of her.

You know your defense sucks when an Illini player trips and falls backward, loses her dribble, gets back up and regains posession of the ball without the on-ball defender ever being within 5 feet of her.

That was ridiculous.

The thing of it is, they can get whatever shot they want, by whoever they want to shoot it, and we aren't doing anything to change it.

Shae Kelley's having one of her bad nights again. Not looking good for the Gophers. Can't get stops and rebound on defense. Game getting away from them with 7 mins left.

Top Bottom