2014-2015 Gopher Women's Season Thread!

Wow, just watched the game. Shae Kelley is Xena Princess Warrior of the hardwood.

B stands for best? Zahui powers post-Banham Gophers

"The Gophers were supposed to have one of the best players in America, a Player of the Year candidate. She was supposed to lift the team into the national spotlight and carry them into the NCAA tournament for the first time in six seasons. She was supposed to dominate games, score at will at times, and overwhelm opponents with a terrific all-around game. A Gophers superstar was finally supposed to bring big victories back to Williams Arena.

And, this is all happening.

It’s just not the player everyone thought it would be doing it.

Amanda Zahui B. might be the best center in women’s college basketball. She’s playing like a first-team All-America."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/288943911.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

When the Gophers had the ball down one with a baseline throw-in, I knew it was going to be 2 points. Is there a better team on the baseline out of bounds play?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can Marlene call some plays for Richard? He's an upgrade over Tubby in that area, but nothing like what they showed today.

I totally disagree. Fouling early to allow Indiana to run the shot clock all they way down was stupid. What would your opinion be if Indiana scored as the buzzer sounded?

I agree. Didn't like the foul there to have the shot clock turned off and allow IU to hold for one. Please note - the shot clock DIDN'T "reset" with the foul - it was shut off. So, fouling early in the shot clock was irrelevant. The Hoosiers screwed up the possession, lucky for Minnesota.

Station 19 - please explain a situation in that scenario when the Gophers would need to "force a free throw if they needed to"??? The Gophers are ahead in the game at that point. So, either Indiana makes a shot with :05 or fewer seconds left and goes ahead (we wouldn't foul); or Indiana misses a shot with :05 or fewer seconds left and we get the rebound (we wouldn't foul); or Indiana misses a shot with :05 or fewer seconds left and gets their own rebound, still down by one-point (we wouldn't foul). Or, we get a steal or force a turnover (we wouldn't foul).

Not fouling would have forced Indiana to shoot earlier, thus giving yourself some time if they make it. Fouling shuts the clock off, meaning if Indiana handles the possession properly and makes a go-ahead shot, Minnesota is done.

What exactly were we needing to position ourselves for??? I'm probably missing something, so please further explain what scenario would unfold in that situation that we'd want Indiana shooting free throws???? The off chance that they make a shot with :09 left in the game and we throw the ball away on the inbounds??? That's about it, as far as I can tell. Hardly worth setting them up to win without giving yourself a chance to rally.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I agree. Didn't like the foul there to have the shot clock turned off and allow IU to hold for one. Please note - the shot clock DIDN'T "reset" with the foul - it was shut off. So, fouling early in the shot clock was irrelevant. The Hoosiers screwed up the possession, lucky for Minnesota.

Station 19 - please explain a situation in that scenario when the Gophers would need to "force a free throw if they needed to"??? The Gophers are ahead in the game at that point. So, either Indiana makes a shot with :05 or fewer seconds left and goes ahead (we wouldn't foul); or Indiana misses a shot with :05 or fewer seconds left and we get the rebound (we wouldn't foul); or Indiana misses a shot with :05 or fewer seconds left and gets their own rebound, still down by one-point (we wouldn't foul). Or, we get a steal or force a turnover (we wouldn't foul).

Not fouling would have forced Indiana to shoot earlier, thus giving yourself some time if they make it. Fouling shuts the clock off, meaning if Indiana handles the possession properly and makes a go-ahead shot, Minnesota is done.

What exactly were we needing to position ourselves for??? I'm probably missing something, so please further explain what scenario would unfold in that situation that we'd want Indiana shooting free throws???? The off chance that they make a shot with :09 left in the game and we throw the ball away on the inbounds??? That's about it, as far as I can tell. Hardly worth setting them up to win without giving yourself a chance to rally.

TJ, from what I can make out, you're assuming Indiana would play for the last shot. Gophers fouled with 25.5 seconds left in the game. I thought Stollings was prepping for the likelihood Indiana scores quickly and takes the lead. Gophers push the ball and don't score, then they can put Hoosiers on the line for one and one with a foul. Could be more than 15 seconds still on the clock. Plenty of time to win the game. Unless I'm missing something, she was coaching a couple steps ahead. They, in fact, went inside with 13.1 seconds left in the game.

TJ, from what I can make out, you're assuming Indiana would play for the last shot. Gophers fouled with 25.5 seconds left in the game. I thought Stollings was prepping for the likelihood Indiana scores quickly and takes the lead. Gophers push the ball and don't score, then they can put Hoosiers on the line for one and one with a foul. Could be more than 15 seconds still on the clock. Plenty of time to win the game. Unless I'm missing something, she was coaching a couple steps ahead. They, in fact, went inside with 13.1 seconds left in the game.

If she thought they'd go fast, then why foul at all? If she doesn't foul (and doesn't allow shot clock to get shut off), Indiana would be forced to shoot even quicker, giving her ample time to foul twice should she need to in your proposed scenario.

I simply don't see the need to give IU the option of holding for one in that situation. There just isn't enough reward for the risk of losing on a buzzer beater.

That aside, she's coaching a 16-and-2 team and I'm piping in a meaningless opinion from the 20th row!! So, kudos to her.

At first I was upset they fouled, but once I thought it through I came around to your way of thinking. This is one of those situations where it's not a clear cut decision.

At first I was upset they fouled, but once I thought it through I came around to your way of thinking. This is one of those situations where it's not a clear cut decision.

What about allowing the player to get the 3 off at the end there? Gophers up by 3. She missed of course, (close though) and Shae got the rebound and was fouled with a second or so on the clock. I'm sure you recall the men's team in Madison Square Garden going through that scenario last year in the NIT. That's always a situation that people take sides on.

How about Kelley? All 40 minutes, game leading scorer, game leading rebounder, game leader in steals, game leader in blocked shots and throw in 3 assists. She is tough.

Looks like Fan of Ray beat me to it.

Shae getting some love in the ESPNW Weekend Wrap as one of "Four players to watch"

Shae Kelley, Minnesota: Freshman Carlie Wagner got Minnesota over the finish line against Indiana on Sunday, her jumper with less than a minute to play put the Gophers ahead for good in a game they didn't lead at all until the closing minutes, but Kelley got them through the race -- again. After she put up 29 points, 18 rebounds and 3 blocks in 39 minutes on the road against Ohio State on Thursday, Kelley had 19 points, 13 rebounds and 4 steals against Indiana. This season is more about us getting a chance to see Kelley on a bigger stage than she had in her first three seasons at Old Dominion than her doing anything new. She was a perpetual 20-10 threat for the Lady Monarchs, and she's the same for the Gophers. The week wasn't an anomaly; she's that relentless.

Hamblin among nation's under-the-radar stars

Can Marlene call some plays for Richard? He's an upgrade over Tubby in that area, but nothing like what they showed today.

Might as well call Clem too. His inbounds plays were nonexistent.

Bracketology has Minnesota as a #4 seed still with #5 Mississippi State (I think they'll fall before the year is over) and strong mid-majors #12 Long Beach State and #13 Wichita State coming to Minneapolis.

The Shockers Jody Adams was rumored as a coaching candidate for the Gophers before Stollings. They only lost by 3 at Tennessee this year. Would be an exciting pod to watch.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/bracketology

Word is that Kayla Hirt has been telling the staff that this will be her last year. Puts us in a bit of a hole at the 4 next year. Will be a good opportunity for ESPN top 100 recruit (Danielle Garven, F, 6'1) to step right in and contribute. Has int'l experience and great athleticism which will help.

I don't think I'd seen Kayla play before yesterday. She gave them some nice minutes in replacing Z

Word is that Kayla Hirt has been telling the staff that this will be her last year. Puts us in a bit of a hole at the 4 next year. Will be a good opportunity for ESPN top 100 recruit (Danielle Garven, F, 6'1) to step right in and contribute. Has int'l experience and great athleticism which will help.

Hurt is a RS JR. I assume she's graduating and plans to move on?

I believe she is mostly backing-up AZB at the 5 this year.

With all the jucos Stollings is bringing in, I would imagine there'll be quite a house cleaning with some of the players not getting much PT.

Is it just me or do the women's refs call charging way more than the men's refs?
It seemed they call charging even when the defensive player is not set, moving backwards with ball handler or when the defender is leaning into the ball handler etc. They really buy into the flop.
The quality of women's game refs seems poorer than the men's game and I'm not talking about women refs but rather women's game refs both genders.
They seem to always make the "cliche" call.
Or is the women's game different from the men's game?

With all the jucos Stollings is bringing in, I would imagine there'll be quite a house cleaning with some of the players not getting much PT.

Only one JUCO coming in as of now (5'6 Guard, Mercedes Jenkins) but sounds like she'll be a good one who will make an impact right away.

Her stats through 16 games played this year:
17.1 PPG
48% 3PT (on 65 attempts) *extremely encouraging*
4.6 apg
3.5 steals/game

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Jackie Johnson is transferring. Has dealt with injuries like Hirt. Allina Starr from DeLaSalle has joined the team transferring in from Auburn. With all the comings and goings, I'm hoping it means Banham has decided to come back.

I like that Richard got a recruit from DeLaSalle--hoping Starr indicates that Marlene has cemented a relationship with that school also. A lot of talent going through there on both teams and in the past some of it didn't even consider the Gophers.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Jackie Johnson is transferring. Has dealt with injuries like Hirt. Allina Starr from DeLaSalle has joined the team transferring in from Auburn. With all the comings and goings, I'm hoping it means Banham has decided to come back.

I like that Richard got a recruit from DeLaSalle--hoping Starr indicates that Marlene has cemented a relationship with that school also. A lot of talent going through there on both teams and in the past some of it didn't even consider the Gophers.

Go back and read the last page or 2 of the thread.

Yes, I should have said jucos and transfers. Lotta' new faces next season.

Stollings and Brenda Frese pretty much mirror each other in coaching philosophy and recruiting. To play up tempo and a matchup zone on defense you need better athletes. Maryland was extremely quick on both sides of the ball. I see Stollings recruiting that type of player.

Rangie Bessard is no longer listed on the roster as well. Plenty of room for Banham to come back, scholarship wise.

Rangie Bessard is no longer listed on the roster as well. Plenty of room for Banham to come back, scholarship wise.

And maybe add a transfer like, say, Marissa Janning of Creighton to put us over the top and into the next level??

Big game tonight vs Purdue at the Barn, 7 p.m.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Top Bottom